What's new

FREE "Jake 2.0" DVDs with 2 episodes!! (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Me four.
But I figure it doesn't cost anything, so if it doesn't show.....
I hope it does though, I enjoy the show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten mine yet, either.

I posted that news item on 11/7/03, which is the same day I filled out the form. Today is 1/8/04. Tomorrow marks the 9th week since I "requested" it.

This offer didn't give us any timeframe in which to expect these discs to show up. But these offers usually take "8-10 weeks". So I really wasn't figuring on worrying with it until after next week.

And, in the end, there was no money exchanged so I'm not worried with it at all. But I *WOULD* love to have that disc.

Sit tight, and let's see what happens. :)

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't seen the disc yet myself, and I believe it was this thread that alerted me to the deal. Oh well. And yes, I would probably buy more tv series if I was able to sample them.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten anything yet either, but no money changed hands, so not a big worry, and now that the show has been axed, I'll quote myself...

You never know, or rather I never know,
I might enjoy the show and start watching it regularly.
Even if I like it, that's clearly not going to happen now.

Adam T

Agent
Haven't received mine yet and I signed up for it over a month ago. Whats with the hold up???

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
There's belief that they're never going to show up, because it would be a waste for UPN to try to hook viewers to a show they already cancelled. I'm guessing we'll never see this...ever...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Who says it's cancelled? I haven't seen that info anywhere.

I've left 2 messages with UPN sources about the status of these free DVDs, and they have not returned my phone calls.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
further tidbits

Rumours abound regarding a planned DVD box set. According to one source, "plans are in the works for the entire series to be released on DVD. Look for an announcement later this year." Whether this would mean the final four episodes (Blackout, Get Foley, Dead Man Talking and Upgrade) will not air in the United States in order to be included as a selling point on the DVD set (a la Firefly) remains to be seen.
David! Get busy...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's insane. Last night I re-located a story in Starlog #319 (which mentions TVShowsOnDVD, by the way) that stated "in a show of support, UPN has picked up Jake 2.0 for the rest of the season". I find it hard to believe things changed that quickly...and that the Lee Majors episode could possibly have been the final one! :eek:

I'd be happy to scan and post the Starlog bit, if you like. Not that it seems to matter. :frowning: The Cinescape article even addresses it:

Damn!

Well, I guess I'll follow up with Martin Blythe about whether the show could come to DVD soon. I'll also try my hand at the "save the show" campaign. Maybe this is something better for a cable channel to take over? That would mean I couldn't look forward to weekly airings, since I don't get or want cable/sat. But at least new shows would hit DVD periodically...

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately David Greenwalt's comment in the above linked story says it all...

"When you've got a show like 'America's Next Top Model,'" Greenwalt says, "that costs a tenth of what 'Jake' does, and scores better with a rerun, we're f***ed."
It's time for a real SciFi channel to start producing original shows and be willing to stick with them for a while, to hack with the networks (note: I said a REAL SciFi channel... unfortunately the US no longer has one since Vivendi got hold of it).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As I think more about my closing thoughts in the above post, I realize that it's not necessary to move this show off of UPN.

The real trouble is that it's lead-in, Enterprise, just SUCKS. Compound that by all the alternatives, as mentioned in the Zap2It article linked to above: Angel, West Wing, The O.C., and The Bachelor...all with major drawing power. They (UPN) should have tried moving the show around the schedule a bit before giving up. That's ridiculous. :angry:

Edit: Oh, and by-the-way, in my market the show didn't have too much of a chance anyway, because the local UPN affiliate constantly delayed it to an 11PM start time, to accomodate University of Memphis basketball games in prime-time. :rolleyes

Here, for those of you who can access Variety.com is an article which says at the bottom:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks