What's new

Frank Miller's 300 (merged) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Is there a historical basis for soldiers of that era going into combat bare chested, or is this a case of "who gives a rat's ass about whether fighting with swords bare chested makes sense? what's important is looking cool"?

Josh.C

Second Unit

Turkish: Hold tight. What’s that?
Tommy: It’s me belt, Turkish.
Turkish: No, Tommy. There’s a gun in your trousers. What’s a gun doing in your trousers?
Tommy: It’s for protection.
Turkish: Protection from who? “Zee Germans”? :D

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

It's based on the, er, studies of that great and accurate historian Frank Frazetta, who discovered that throughout human history (and pre-history) manly men have always gone into intense melee combat mostly nekkid.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

Our cut is 26 minutes shorter? That's a big bummer; hopefully the home video release will be the full cut.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i want MORE sex and violence NOT LESS!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Nah, the movie stills show that only the cool guys go into a melee with bare chests. Only the wimpy bad guys would ever do something as sensible as giving their bodies some protection.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I wouldn't be surprised if that cut was an early one and that they have done some work tightening it up since then.

Anyone know how long the Buttnumbathon cut was?

Jason

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis

Lol. Spartans and indeed all Creek hoplites in that period wore a fair amount of armour. A bronze cuirass, greeves, helmet, a hoplon (shield). Greek hoplites used an 8 foot spear as their main weapon and swords or other edged weapons as well. The spartans used a very short sword called the xiphos.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Remember now that this is based on a graphic novel more than the real events! ;) I was in Waldenbooks today and they had some copies of 300 in stock, so I flipped through it. The look in the trailer is VERY similar to the look of the graphic novel.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think they used the comic book as storyboard for the film (the way sin city is similarly done).

the graphic novel is based on the 300 spartans, the 1962 film. so it's a bit convoluted.

the film we have coming soon is based on a comic book, which is itself based on a film, which is based on a bit more research than what we're used to today with modern films.

if you've seen the original, it's got Christian agenda in it, no premarital sex, etc. so funny for a film in the 60's :laugh:.

of course, this new one will completely destroy that notion.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Never trust IMDB for runtimes of unreleased movies.

Actual runtime: 116 minutes 33 seconds.

Courtesy of the BBFC

Regards,
Nathan

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
imdb has become so big and bloated that it's similar to wiki on how the info is updated. there could be glaring mistakes... but the irony is that hollywood really uses the tool (pro/highest grade paid version) to sus out cast&crew for their tv/movie people.

thus, the craziness.

nathan, you can trust bbfc?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Yes, without question. Pre-release, they are the only 100% reliable source for runtime I know of. They even tell you how many feet/frames the movie is. Only thing is they rate films in order for UK release dates, not US.

Regards,
Nathan

(for the opposite of this accuracy, check out zap2it, which indicates the runtime for Every pre-release film as 1 hour 40 mins!!)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update on the times.... hell yeah more sex and violence.. bring on 300.. Can't wait.....

SimonMonty

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
I just saw that the new Alexander: The Final Cut DVD thats coming out Tuesday will have a free ticket to see 300, so my girlfriend is going to pick that up for me :) I figure, i get a good movie with as many extras as you will see on a release and i get to see 300 for free...even better.

Also, there was a survey (use the code '300') for the new Alexander release that had some video clips i hadn't seen before. SO along with seeing those i got to enter for a chance to win some prizes :P But man, 300 looks great, and I'm surprised Zack Snyder directed this...i mean, Dawn of the Dead was great but 300 is a major release...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think it's the other way around, with the movie being the dessert. :)

Anywho, I subscribe to Men's Health (which I love btw), and the article on Butler is awesome. I've been trying to get into that shape for years, and it's hard. Diet is my hardest struggle (my workouts are fine with some need for better fundamentals).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I just picked dessert because the game was second. The point is...starting Friday, there is going to be a lot of mythological bloodletting from Spartans for me. And I am very, very, very, very, very excited about that :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks