What's new

Frank Miller's 300 (merged) (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Its like deja vu all over again."

;)

I do hope the movie turns out to be this year's version of "The Matrix" (in terms of its success), because I'm a huge fan of the graphic novel and "300" is numero uno on my must-see list of '07. I am totally amped for this movie.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm ready to strip down to just loincloth and sword and red cape and yell, "THIS IS SPAAARTA!!!" :laugh:

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
I will always wish they had made Gates of Fire instead of this. I would much rather see something much less stylized, with good production values.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah, i couldn't sit through a period piece adaption. if you wanted that, follow my recommendation and rent 1962's the 300 spartans.

what makes films original is the person shooting that shot/scene from his own POV/angle. that's why we luv Fincher, Kurosawa, Cuaron, Welles, Spielberg and so on =D.

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis

I own the 300 spartans. It was pretty well done for what it is. Just because a movie is shot as a period piece doesn't mean it cant have its own style as well.

I simply think the story to The Gates of Fire is much Better than the Graphic Novel

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
not every novel-screen adaption is meant to be great (Harry Potter's 1st 2 films is a great example).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The style of the film doesnt bother me since they seem to be going mythological.

Hopefully it will be good.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey Terry,

I don't think 300 will do Matrix type success, because for many people who have already seen Gladiator and Troy, 300 will be just another sword and sandal epic despite how good it is.

What made the Matrix so successful was it was like nothing many American's had ever seen before.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, Michael Mann was attached to Gates of Fire at one point and he certainly belongs on your list above.

paul_v

Second Unit
I tried searching for a thread on the movie "300" but the search engine doesn't like searching for numbers it seems.

Anyways, who here is pumped for this movie? The Spartans were the epitome of the alpha male and were complete badasses. Can't wait for this movie.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no, search is broken. hopefully it'll work after the forum upgrades =D.

anyway, 3/9, i'm there OPENING day =D

John Doran

Screenwriter
countdown's on for me - this is the first movie in years that i will be there for opening day, first showing...

there's a nice hardcover "art of 300" book that i had a chance to look at the other day when i was picking up some trade paperbacks at the local comic shop...the art direction for this film is sumptuous and stunning.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
patrick, there has been somn wrong with the search function for a very long time:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...earchid=418526
^when i search for key word: millennium
on JUST the title alone (the tv series).

all i got back was:

see, that's a problem because i started a thread talking about it but got linked several threads that HAD millennium in the title that i COULD NOT FIND. it's not my end because this happens with computers i use @work, @home and @school! i tried, flushing cache, logging out, back in, refresing, inside out. no go. so it's definitely a HTF issue.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ever since Gladiator i've become burnt out on these huge historic-type epics with large scale CGI battles in them, that said, though, there is something so different about this movie and for the first time in a while I became excited about seeing a film of this type. :emoji_thumbsup:

I LOVED Sin City too so my hopes are high.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My eagerness to see this is near limitless as well. I saw a "chick" ad for this today (during a Rocky marathon). It focused on the queen, the sacrifice, the romance, without the violence.

All I know is the rating guide says "Graphic violence THROUGHOUT" which says it all. Less than a month. FWIW, it also comes out right before God of War II, the perfect dessert for a movie like this.

March, with this and Zodiac, is looking extremely strong :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green Mountaineer
Recent bookmarks