What's new

FRAMING for the new Rocky dvd (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
I got this dvd last week. The transfer is definately an improvement. But I noticed quite a bit of difference in the framing from the previous disc. The new one has less info on the top & bottom, and sides.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I do know for a fact that the previous release of Rocky (remastered) had different framing than it's previous version and more picture information was cut off. I wonder if this has happened again.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is it possible that this release has the same framing as the last one, and John was comparing it to the version before that?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Quite possibly. In fact, the more I think about it I would be surprised if they really created another new transfer since that one was done fairly recently and looked quite good for a film of its source/age.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I have the 2001 SE of Rocky. Is that still the best version to keep?

Bought the new anthology set and have swapped the first disc out to be sold used.

Is the Rocky I anthology disc the 'Disc 1' from the new two-disc set?

The two-disc set has been bashed for being zoomed, having ineffective DTS, and no extras on disc one (the one you get with anthology).

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
25th Anniversary Special Edition had more picture info on all sides but was taken from a ragged and dirty print. Both the Anthology and Collector's Editions transfers are absolutely identical, far cleaner and brighter, but zoomed in/cropped.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Even though Anthology was a gift, I couldn't resist opening so I could compare Rocky I.

Yes, the 2001 SE has far more print damage. Guess I'll keep the 'new' 2004 Anthology disc...

Just read a raving review of the new two-disc, the period talk show Sly appearance with bad disco threads would be must see.

Maybe I'll catch a two-disc used someday and stick it in Anthology, the cases are doubles...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in another Rocky thread, but the 2004 version seems to have overly-pumped up color saturation, edge enhancement, in addition to cropping. I'm going to have to get a hold of the 2001 copy again and A/B this against the 2001 edition to see which I actually like better.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Yes, the reds especially seem a little "hot" on the 2004 edition and the cropped framing can't be denied, but the 2001 print is so ragged and dirty, you'd have to be Stevie Wonder to suggest it's as watchable as the 2004 release.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Before all these Rocky threads fade into memory, I'd just like to say how disappointed I am that after SO MANY releases we still don't have a reference DVD of Rocky!

The 2001 transfer has good framing and color balance, but is dirty as hell.

The 2004 transfer is red-pumped and zoomed in.

The zooming is glaring even in the opening credits as Rocky walks down the street and disappears off the screen before going up the steps to his apartment.

How could this pass for acceptable twice??

The new 2006 release could have corrected the 2004 transfer, but apparently has not.

I'm not 'in the industry', but I think they could have fixed the 2004 transfer with minimal expense and created the ultimate Rocky release (what the two-disc should have been).

All they did was take the botched 2004 transfer, add the 2001 SE extras, add a few new extras, and then called it a day.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I agree...it's hard to understand why these things happen.

As I mentioned before, I'm going to get a hold of the previous release. This new version seemed "artificial" to me. The colors - especially reds - seemed too pumped up, the zooming was noticable and a bit distracting, and there seemed to be some filtering that took place which may have sucked out detail (not for sure).

I haven't viewed the previous disc in a few years, but even though it was grainier and a dirtier print, it seemed to have a more authentic "Rocky" feel to it. I mean expect Rocky to look grainier, dirtier, darker, more subtle or less color to the image. I just remember being more satisfied with the previous disc after watching it. Now, my set-up is new from before so I'll have to check out this previous disc before making up my mind on which I prefer.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I understand where you're going with this but trust me, the original print used for ROCKY had no business being used for a higher resolution digital medium like DVD--it was strictly VHS fodder, proper framing dimensions aside.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So you guys basically recommend keeping the 2004 Special Edition
over this new 2006 release?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Here's what I did...

Had a copy of the 2001 SE from back in the day. Bought the newest slimcase Anthology set.

Each slimcase is a double, so I put both versions of Rocky in the first case.

I actually bought the Rocky two-disc later in the week because Walmart was still selling it for $15.

When I double checked this thread and found out the 2006 two-disc was the same transfer from 2004 (Anthology), I returned it.

Don't see the need for the two-disc if it's just for some new extras (although if you don't have the 2001 SE, it might make sense).

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
I've owned Rocky 3 times now on DVD. First I had the old MGM snapper release from the early days of the format, then I had the 2001 SE, and now I have the 2006 two-disc. I wanted the new extras and justified the purchase with the Rocky Balboa ticket and the $5 trade-in value of the old disc at Blockbuster (in Canada); that made the upgrade nearly free.

Hopefully the new 2004/2006 transfer doesn't bother me the way it seems to be bothering other people in this thread... As for the 2004 vs. the 2006 release, I'd gladly take these extras over a DTS track on a film that didn't even have 5.1 sound in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks