What's new

FPTV vs RPTV (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow this was such an awesome thread I'm surprised it died with only one page.

Well here's some updates. I ended up getting the ISF calibration and it turned out fabulous. If FP can touch this picture I'd be shocked. And it only cost me $275 so it didn't hurt as much as the $500 would have. I think another restraint people have (including myself) is not just the projector but the actual screen too. If you do take the plunge and get the FP now you have a new set of problems with getting a screen. And I can't project onto the wall because of my television. And I'm scared to get a shitty screen. Can you paint a dalite pull down screen gray also?

I think I'll miss my litte rptv if I sell it, it's been a good friend to me.:b

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The type of projector will determine what colout/gain of screen you need. For instance, if you were to buy a Sanyo PLV70, it's high light output would be a match for a gray screen with a 1.0 gain (or close). If you were to use something with a high gain, it could be troublesome. You'd also need a larger screen with that projector. If you go with certain LCD's, they tend to need a boost in the contrast ratio department so a silver screen with a gain >1.0 would be a good match. Then you have DLP's that tend to have higher contrast ratios but lower light output (in some cases). A white screen or a gray screen would be a good match. Then for CRT, you may want the boost in light output but since they have tremendous contrast ratios already, a white screen with a >1.0 gain may be in order. Then you may have the same projector as someone else but because of the differences in ambient light between the two setups, the screen requirements will be different, ETC ETC ETC...

This brings up another point I mentioned in a couple of other threads about manufacturer's projector specs. The lumen output and contrast ratio usually cannot both be obtained at the same time, for instance, an Infocus X1 has a contrast ratio of 2000:1 and a brightness of 1000 lumens but in order to get the 2000:1 contrast ratio, the light output is immediately cut down to 500 lumens and further calibration may trim that down further.

Knowing this, one may want to get a screen that would boost that level a bit (have a >1.0 gain) and yet one may also want a silver/gray screen that would help further with the contrast ratios as well.

BTW, have you seen comments from other X1 users regarding the gray screens helping reduce rainbows for this projector?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
My main concern is black level and color. What's best for that? I'm thinking about getting the Panny P200lu, they have a sell going on to get the projector and the screen for a grand.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
A da lite I suppose. It will be the same thing that Ron-p has, the same sale that he caught.

Ton_A

Auditioning
Yeah it's a Da Lite, and I am considering this PJ, but I think that the Z1 for 100 bucks more sans screen, is something that I am salivating at. It has a higher resolution than the 200u. I am also doing the diy or buy for a screen contemplation as well.....so many things to conisder...:D

Tony

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah - I haven't pulled the trigger yet on an FP. My room isn't ready yet for it, so I've put it off.

I was 100% sold on the X1, but now that L200U + screen deal is looking pretty sweet.

And, I think I may have problems with rainbows.... :frowning:

Anyways, still sold on the FP - just a matter of which one is the best deal/fit around the time my room gets done.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Nathan,

Any update on this? ;)

Have you purchased and set-up your new panny fp? I just want to hear your opinions on this since I'm looking to buy an fp myself from about the same price point... Won't get things ready for at least another 6 months though so maybe a new model would be available by then...:D

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the slow response...

Nope - haven't purchased the fp yet. I've had to travel a lot more lately, so my basement project timeline has been pushed back. And, I've determined not to buy the projector until a later point in the project when I can actually install and use it. That way, I won't miss out on newer models or lower prices either :)

chris_clem

Second Unit
I've been following that thread closely as well. Ron's first thread on the Infocus X1 helped me remove that model from my short list because his evaluation of the panasonic was more favorable. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a good FP for around $1500 (Just the projector, not including screen, wiring and installation costs)?

I looked briefly at the projector central website (haven't had enough free time to explore that site thoroughly yet, I just used their "search projector" feature)and it listed some other models but I have not read a lot of reviews or feedback on the other models. My search was simply any projector under $2000 and I saw some viewsonics, some panasnics, a couple of Infocus's and quite a bit of BenQ's. Does anyone have a lot of experience with these other models? Which brand/models should I consider and which ones shouldn't be in the ruinning?

Which ones are you considering Nathan?:)

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I still haven't totally ruled out the X1.

I'm also looking at the Panasonic L200U, Panasonic 300U and Sanyo Z1.

Someone once suggested I might find a used CRT projector, but sheesh - those things are HUGE and HEAVY!!!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Hey Nathan,long time

Who is showing off the X1 in Indy?I have seen them at best buy and a computer shop here and there but thats it.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a used X1 from a seller here on the forum. The deal was just too good to pass up, so I took the "rainbow risk". Low and behold, I haven't noticed them yet on LOTR or the Matrix, so I'm pleased.

Anyways, there is a company called data projections that is an X1 reseller that my dad went to.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks