What's new

Fox's Steve Feldstein Puts The Format war To Rest (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

While this could certainly happen here, I am hoping that it will not. Being a proud LD owner from Pioneers first player in (I believe) 1978, and still having a few remaining titles, the difficulty in finding titles, because it never made it beyond a niche market for videophiles, would not bode well for the new HD formats. Delagating HD-DVD and BD to the same level as LD's, or more currently DVHS would be a diaster for both camps.

I am not sure the competing entities will allow that to happen.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

HDMI or not, the XBOX add-on will offer a 1080P output- how exactly is that not HD??? What the hell does the connection device have to do with whether it's HD or not?

Vincent

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think I wrote in my sentence that's IT's JUST ME, so the ""HELL" got to do with it or what ? Do you have a problem with my opinion ? So dodn't replay to my opinion, ok ?

I don't accept any analog for HD, am I clear ? Try to put together Blu-ray player, HD-DVD player, HD satelite receiver, PAL DVD upscale hdmi player....

and do it with analog outputs.....

Marek

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Relax. No need to accelerate the debate in this manner.

Thank You!

Romar Armas

Second Unit
It's sad that the old console fanboy wars has migrated to the Home Theatre. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that people have their own choice? Why must some people feel the need to put down the opposing format?

HT is an expensive hobby but some people do not have unlimited income. Some of us have to balance life and luxury. I would love to upgrade my non HDMI TV and non HDMI receiver but with a 3 month old baby and bills to pay for, that won't be happening any time soon. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation as I am. Saying analog is non HD is just quite snobbish. Before HDMI even appeared on the scene what were people watching that they believed to be HD?

This is exactly the same attitude that SONY has had with their PS3. "You will buy our product no matter how costly it is because we are SONY!". And now Fox is just going along with what SONY has been preaching for months. Blu Ray will win because of the PS3. Nuff said.

We already get enough BS from large corporations, do we need more from each other? In the end none of us will really win as all our hard earned cash will ultimately fund some exec's insurance for their expensive sports car.

So people need to chill and treat each other with respect. We're all in the same boat no matter what format we choose.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
One thing's for sure, the HD DVD and BD people need to do a better job of making the public aware of these two formats. A friend and I went over to Sam's Club yesterday. He had just gotten a 37" flat panel there, and wanted to show me the selection that Sam's has. While looking around, I saw HD DVD's and showed my buddy the ROBIN HOOD HD DVD. He loves that movie, and snatched it out of my hand. I told him that he needs a high definition player for the movie. He just looked at me and said "Well, my television is high def, why wouldn't this work with that?". After explaining things to him, he said "I've never even heard of HD DVD or Blu-Ray". And I don't think he's alone in that regard.
Both the studios and the hardware manufacturers need to make regular guys-not just HT enthusiasts and hardcore gamers-aware of these formats, or they'll never make it into the mainstream.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

- I said that two times already, that analog means NO HD for ME not for everbody, how many times do I have to REPEAT that ? I am looking for future proofe digital connection, that's the only reason for not going with component....
- can you find one SINGLE post where I put down any format ?
- so you don't even know me, and I am snobb ????? You have no idea what have been through in last two decades before we were free country and part of EU...

can somebody please explain to me, that everybody si happy to attack me ?

it seems that I choose wrong forum........., but I can't accept that somebody will call me snobb

thank you
Marek

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
True enough you did state that it was just you. But you then went on to give a set of numbers for both HD-DVD and BD that appeared to be global in scope, based on your opinion. Which opinion it must be noted, is contrary to the definition of HD.

You are most certainly free to not like analog connections for HD, but you are not free to change the definition of what constitutes HD and what does not.

Just curioius, but what did you do for HD before the plethora of digital connections?

edited to add that I'm only trying to clarify, not attack--and to observe that you don't appear to have a bias one way or another.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Marek,

Nobody is attacking you here, and I am keeping a close
eye on this thread to make sure that conversation remains
civil.

Please relax. Thanks!

Romar Armas

Second Unit

As I mentioned above, your original comment did come out quite snobbish and people will interpret it in the same manner as myself and others have. I never said you were, just that comment.

chuckamuck

Grip
Real Name
Jayson
The uproar over Feldstein's quote seems a little overblown, IMHO.

The HD-DVD camp has also engaged in such word play, particularly Universal, whose spokepserson has seemingly gone out of their way to smear Blu-ray and, in particular, Sony.

We're at the beginning of a format war. Of course both sides are going to give as good as they get.

As per his comments, "X3" certainly is a huge title for BD -- and you can bet HD-DVD would be playing it up, too, if they had it. No matter what you think of the film, it was a huge film theatrically and the intitial video release was also incredibly successful. It has a tremendous built-in audience and should appeal to BD customers hungry for new titles.

As for whether BD is the superior format, we don't know yet. HD-DVD hasn't proven that it's the superior format, either. It's way too early in the game, kids, and both sides have had less-than-stellar debuts. But I wouldn't dismiss BD at this point. Personally, I think BD has the potential to outlast HD-DVD in the long run.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Actually, both formats currently have areas the shine. Long term, most differences will be mote. Disk capacity will be addressed through additional layers, cost differences will be driven down through manufacturing advancements, exclusive studio support will become non-existent, and the early days of quality, or lack of, will be forgotten.

Both the PS3 and the XBOX 360 add-on will help drive the platforms user acceptance until hardware costs come down to Wal-Mart shopper levels, and the studios on both sides initially will release products the other side would like.

So what is the better long term format? I am certainly not able to look into a crystal ball and state that, nor, I think is anyone else on this forum.

Specifications from the systems do not tell the whole story, and are always slanted to make 'it's' specs look the best they can. All you need to do is look at the spec wars between the 360 and the PS3. I can find equal number of experts that will tell you why the specs on a certain system are better than the other, and if I want to, I can find enough data to back up and validate any position I want to.

I have spent many hours viewing both HD and DB disks, and removing the initial run of BD disks, most of the current disks look nearly identical to the HD versions. I am not saying which is better, as this will end up being a viewer's subjective choice, and will not be based on system specifications.

When I get my 1080p projector, I will review some of my BD's and HD's to see if that makes any difference, but to be honest, I doubt it will.

None of this invalidates anyone's personal opinion though. We will all have opinions that are subjective, and not necessarily based totaly on facts. I currently own a 360 because I like the games better than the Sony games. If I were honest, I could probably find as many Sony releases that I would enjoy. (BTW, this reasoning will soon be lost, as the days of exclusivity in games is almost at an end.) But because of my subjective views, I will not be buying a PS3.

Bottom line is, IMHO, you will not make a mistake with whatever choice in format you decide to go with.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Oh really? Please indulge me. I read alot of websites and blogs and was wondering what specific quotes you could point to that match the lies and outrageous ramblings coming from the spoiler side? Don't forget who decided to go out on their own in defiance of the DVD Forum's decision to go with HD DVD as the successor to DVD. You can blame the format war largely on Sony (and its PS3). I do not plan on rewarding them by supporting their products any longer.

chuckamuck

Grip
Real Name
Jayson

While it is usually the easiest target, Sony is hardly alone in its support of Blu-ray. You may find yourself avoiding a lot of products from a majority of electronics manufacturers and movie studios, if that's how you choose to deal with this "defiance."

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
If that's the best you can do... Do some research. I want the quote and the article. There is way too much hearsay and rumour in these forums as it is.... The fact that they pointed out the apparent in your previous reference is not pomposity...I will spend my money as I see fit but thanks for your concern.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

No where does he speak disparagingly about the competition, nor does he state that HD-DVD will be the format winner. He is just speaking the facts that were, and states that they will have a good holiday season. Not even close to what the Fox exec stated.

BTW, the reviews and blogs did give the kudo's to the HD format, while pretty well trashing the BD releases. It is just the way it was two months ago.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO X Men is one of the biggest money makers to be released on Blu-ray so far. There are alot of Blockbuster films that have not even made it to the release list yet. X Men 3 may have been the weakest of the X Men trilogy but its still going sell wether it on SD-DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Granted SD-DVD will outsell its HD counterpart. But I don't see the statement of Steve Feldstein, "that the Blu-ray release of X-men: The Last Stand is the biggest new release yet for Blu-ray..." is argent in any way. Its a huge release for Blu-ray and one that they are hoping will attract consumers towards there format. And Playstation has been a very successful gaming platform and one of the most successful as well. This is the kind of things you say trying to develope excitement for a product that is or has come out.

Now do I believe that X-Men 3 will save or make Blu-ray as a HD platform, NO. Do I think that Playstation will make or brake Blu-ray, most likely not. The success of Blu-ray rest with consumers willingness to choose that format over its compition. It rests on wheater or not consumers are willing to envest into a HD format and spend alittle more on owning high definition copies of there favorite movies. Thats what will make or brake Blu-ray, not weather or not X-Men 3 is out on Blu-ray or not. But I tell you one thing, it sure doesn't hurt to have X-Men 3 on Blu-ray especially with DTS-HD. If X-Men 3 is released on HD-DVD it will ether include Dolby True HD or Dolby Digital Plus, I don't see the HD-DVD version with DTS-HD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree with you. I will be buying X3 when it comes out. As far as whether it would be in Dolby-HD or DTS-HD, I can see no difference. What I read on these products, the quality should be the same, unless I am seriusly misreading the specs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It won't happen, but to proceed on your own speculation: why would you need a DTS-HD track if there would be a TrueHD one already? Just like you wouldn't need a TrueHD track if the DTS-HD was already there.

There's no disadvantage in having one of the lossless tracks instead of the other one! X3 on HD DVD could be as spectacular, quality wise, as Batman Begins.

(Lossless = lossless.)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks