What's new

FOX & WARNER BROS. -- TIME TO STEP UP TO THE BLU-RAY PLATE WITH YOUR HARRYHAUSEN TITLES! (1 Viewer)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
tele1962 said:
Great to see you posting, TT.
But I still do not understand your pricing policy compared to 99% of all other labels?
Hi tele1962--I'm a regular but infrequent poster at HTF, and in answer to your question there are numerous interviews and articles available on the web, including a lengthy one here on this forum, that go into great detail about why we at TT do what we do. In fact, I don't believe any other label has been as transparent about their business model as we have.

Recently, I have told my colleagues at the label that my new year's resolution is never to explain our model again.

One point in your earlier post I will address is this: TT is an American label aimed at the American audience. Our licenses are only for North America (USA and Canada.) Now, if folk in other countries choose to "import" that is their choice, but I can tell you that as a Brit who lives in the USA, I remember vividly my days in London wishing to "import" American LPs -- sadly, I couldn't afford many of them. I was disappointed, but I accepted it as a fact of life.

What the very smart ROclockCK has posted above should be read, over and over, and clearly digested -- because what he has written is exactly right. Future stability of the blu-ray market is going to depend more and more on the independent labels being able to more commonly synergize releases around the world -- importing costs will continue to rise -- meaning that buyers will be more dependent on their own territories -- the notion that every item should cost the same no matter where in the world it originates is fast going the way of the dodo bird.

All best,

Nick.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
Nick, any chance of ONE MILLION YEARS, B.C Blu-ray in the near future?

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Hi Didier, happy new year to you -- we are in the process of striking a deal for a whole slew of new catalogue titles from Fox, and OMYBC is on the list, but as yet is not confirmed. The hashing out of which titles go where is always a long and laborious process!

All best,

Nick. :)

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
Sounds promising! Thx for the reply and Happy New Year to you to, too :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I remember vividly my days in London wishing to "import" American LPs -- sadly, I couldn't afford many of them. I was disappointed, but I accepted it as a fact of life."Is this really your way to tell people that "You can't afford our BD releases? Well, tough luck (aka fact of life)"?By all means keep the prices high and stock limited (quality is probably very good, I've no doubt about that), but spear us these childish stories about LP records etc.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Hi Nick, I fully understand the costs of importing, which become higher due to the cost of the item being imported, but I can not get my head round your pricing structure as surely this is an global market and prices to be fair should be competitive for Blu Ray's , although I know you have a business to run like any other it just doesn't make sense to me...........or is it just me. :wacko:

By the way no matter what, when Rollerball is announced I will find a way. :)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Twilight Time said:
Future stability of the blu-ray market is going to depend more and more on the independent labels being able to more commonly synergize releases around the world -- importing costs will continue to rise -- meaning that buyers will be more dependent on their own territories -- the notion that every item should cost the same no matter where in the world it originates is fast going the way of the dodo bird.
Whew...I'm just relieved I can still read and comprehend what's actually been written Nick. ;)

You mentioned this first though, albeit elsewhere in another context, but it did seem relevant to this discussion re: the availability of more Harryhausen on Blu-ray. Taking a more collaborative, synergistic, global approach struck me as a more logical route for the release of not only this filmmaker's remaining body of work, but also many others* which unfortunately remain caught in limbo because they are too niche for one market or label alone to support. Meanwhile overseas mail order just gets pricier and dicier...

* too many actually.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
EddieLarkin said:
Nor should it ever happen*, because like many small internet stores that ship worldwide (DiabolikDVD and Flicker Alley's online store are two others), SAE purposefully declare below the true value on the customs label for international shipping (if they didn't, their UK customer base would dry up pretty quicky; a TT Blu-ray would jump from £25 to £38 ($63!) if it got hit by customs because RM like to extort an £8 handling fee as well). *unless you order more than 4 items in one shipment. SAE declare $5 per item in the package, so 4 items or less will always get through fine. They've even been kind enough to exclude the promotional 5th item (autographed copies) on some of my orders when requested, since technically it doesn't have a "value".
I'm not sure that it's wise to post this. You never know who's watching! It's also not unknown for UK Customs to open packages if they suspect the value is incorrect.Incidentally, I fully accept and am content with the fact that I can't necessarily buy everything I want - and not only regarding Blu-ray Discs - especially since I retired!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Twilight Time said:
Recently, I have told my colleagues at the label that my new year's resolution is never to explain our model again.
:) :lol: :D

To provide a balanced perspective on Twilight Time's business model, may I point out that in France, Wild Side have recently issued two highly regarded BRDs, Gun Crazy and Night Of The Demon. Both are limited editions and both have a higher-than-normal price tag.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If you want a title you (obviously) have to buy from whom it is available. I have been happy to import TT titles into the UK (with no problems) and am prepared to pay what they ask because I understand their business model and, of course, anyone else can do the same and offer lower prices if they are brave enough.

As Robin says there are other distributors charging higher prices - otherwise it is a race to the bottom with the end result that titles will become uneconomic.

To balance things out I have just bought two VistaVision titles I have wanted (The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much) from Amazon UK for £10.

Swings and roundabouts!

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Since we're on the subject of HARRYHAUSEN titles, could I make a brief left turn and ask a question? I've never understood the how's and why's concerning effects shots in old films and their inability to be upgraded to 1080P. All of the best stuff in Jason is at a lower resolution. A thank you to anyone willing to try and simplify this for me.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
SteveSs said:
Since we're on the subject of HARRYHAUSEN titles, could I make a brief left turn and ask a question? I've never understood the how's and why's concerning effects shots in old films and their inability to be upgraded to 1080P. All of the best stuff in Jason is at a lower resolution. A thank you to anyone willing to try and simplify this for me.
Virtually all of the special effects in these types of films involve multiple pieces of film printed on top of each other via an optical process. The finished effects shots are considered duplicates (or "dupes") so are always at least one generation further away than the remaining live action footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks