What's new

Fox touts sales numbers for Percy Jackson on Blu-ray: Do you buy family films on BD? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
[SIZE= 20px]Epic Modern Adventure Percy Jackson Resonates with Families on High Def Blu-ray Format[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 20px]HALF HUMAN. HALF GOD. ALL HERO! [/SIZE]

LOS ANGELES (SEPTEMBER 13, 2010) -- The premium movie experience business in the home continues to grow, as Blu-ray sales move beyond just a fanboy base. Sell-through and rental sales for the industry has reached a combined total of nearly $1 billion for the first half of 2010. Twentieth Century Fox's modern day adventure Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, based on the first novel in a successful series of books by Rick Riordan, is a great example of family audiences embracing the format. Blu-ray disc sales represent 20% of overall physical sales for Percy Jackson, which is twice the average for a family film. It is also the 2nd best selling family live action title released in 2010. Blu-ray, DVD and digital download sales and rentals are over 3.5 million transactions in North America alone. The worldwide box-office tally was an Olympian $226 million.

The success of Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief is just one example of how our premium home entertainment business is growing considerably, as we continue to offer broader access to our titles through our Blu-ray combo packs,” said Mike Dunn, Worldwide President of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. “This is ideal for families, as they can enjoy our movies on multiple platforms in the home, car and via digital copy on their smartphone – all with just one purchase.”

Directed by Chris Columbus, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief stars rising star Logan Lerman, and features an ensemble cast including Rosario Dawson, Steve Coogan, Uma Thurman, Pierce Brosnan, Catherine Keener, and Kevin McKidd. It’s the 21st century, but the gods of Mount Olympus have walked out of the pages of his Greek mythology texts and into his life, and they’re not happy – Zeus’ lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Learning he is the son of Poseidon, the young teen finds himself caught between angry and battling gods, and embarks on a cross-country adventure to catch the true lightning thief and unravel a mystery more powerful than the gods themselves.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think its good for the format that family titles are starting to generate more sales on Blu-ray. Personally I am buying more family titles on Blu-ray, especially if they are packaged with the DVD. In addition to Percy Jackson, Furry Vengeance and Toy Story 1&2, I just bought the latest Thomas the Tank Engine movie on Blu-ray/DVD combo.

Do you buy family films on Blu-ray?

Does having the DVD included with a family Blu-ray title make it easier to "justify" buying the Blu-ray?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yes, and yes. Only one TV in our house is HD, and it's a lot easier to justify a movie purchase to my wife when DVD is included. I enjoy watching movies with my kids, and family films are a great gateway to their enjoyment of all films as they grow.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
These days, I probably buy more family films than any other genre, just because they get the most repeat viewings. Most Hollywood blockbusters these days are good for one viewing, or maybe two, so I'll rent those. But a release like the upcoming Beauty and the Beast BD will probably get spun dozens of times in our house.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I stopped reading the press release when they used the word "fanboy"...I buy all sorts of films, family included. The latest preorder is Toy Story 3. I'll get Beauty and the Beast. I don't buy DVD's. Inclusion in a combo-pack is not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks