What's new

Fox: To the Shores of Tripoli filmed in Technicolor but DVD release in B&W??? (1 Viewer)

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
Leonard Maltin lists this title as in "color"' on the back of the disc case is listed in color and "photographed in Technicolor". The disc menu is in color and Maureen O'Hara's lipstick also is also screaming outloud " IN TECHNICOLOR".

So how is it I can only see a black and white picture from this disc?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is very strange! I've seen this film more than a few times and I always remembered it as in color. Also, I have a video tape of "To the Shores of Tripoli" and I just checked the tape and the movie is indeed in color! Furthermore, in comparison the dvd is in black and white with the opening film credits having omitted the credits to the Technicolor process as well as the film's Director of Photography. This omission occurs between the credits for the film's screen writer and musical director.

Was the technicolor film elements of this film ruin beyond repair so that Fox could only released this black and white version on dvd? Hopefully, Peter will respond to this thread and give us some feedback. He will probably have to do some checking before giving us a definitive answer to this strange situation.

I will change the title to this thread and will temporarily sticky it for his attention.

Crawdaddy

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Very strange indeed! Having had colorized films perhaps we are now getting monochromed versions for people who hate color! The only black and white versions of color films I've ever previously come across have been on 16mm. At the very least the DVD packaging should have given some indication as to it not being in color. I suspect some sort of mistake along the line here.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Not sure what the deal is, but I'd sure like to find out. I picked it up today assuming it was color.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Very strange. I know the film was in color because I've seen it in color. It was a fairly common practice in the '40s to re-release color films in b/w, usually they were farmed out to small companies like Realart or Film Classics to release as double feature programs and I guess it was done because b/w prints were cheaper. In the early days of TV most stations ran b/w prints of color films because they didn't telecast in color yet. I can't imagine that one of these prints of a b/w negative was used to master the DVD.

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
OK here's the deal .. ..

We screwed up! we are re pressing the DVD. The first 10,000 made it out the door before we realised the problem.

If you have bought the shores of Tripoli call our customer service number and they will send you the correct disc, just as we did for Cleopatra Disc 3.

I'll post the actual phone number later this morning. You will need the DVD package when you phone the number.

Sorry for the confusion,

Peter Staddon

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter,
Thanks for the response. I knew there was a reasonable explanation about this situation.

Crawdaddy

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
OK the number to call is 888 223 2369

replacement discs will be available next Friday onwards.

They will be sent out to callers just like the Cleopatra discs.

Discs entering the market now have all been corrected, but if you pick up a B&W copy call the number and get the replacement disc. You will need to hae the DVD case with you when you call.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Peter Staddon

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks for the quick response Mr. Staddon. It's nice that Fox is so up front and fast to take care of problems like this. Every business has a problem from time to time and it's how they handle it afterwards that speaks alot to the company.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
"You'd do it for Randolph Scott, wouldn't you?"
- Sheriff Bart, "Blazing Saddles." :D
Rats, I am honor bound to go buy this now that I complained.... :b

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I just called Fox to get my copy of the DVD replaced. At this point, the person taking the calls is not sure what the plan will be to replace the copies that are B/W. Also, as Mr. Staddon noted, the discs are not yet ready to mail out. So, the operator is just taking your name and phone number. I suggested the most cost effective method and efficient course of action would be to just replace the disc itself, rather than return the dvd w/case and then get a new one, as the current DVD cover is correct. Not sure how they can ascertain ownership of the B/W copy, but since Mr. Staddon said to have the current case available when talking to the Fox operator, there may be a way. Hopefully that is the case. Am looking forwarding to getting the color copy.:D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm not particularly interested in this title, but...
I had to give kudos to Fox for stepping up to the plate, admitting they made a mistake and working quickly to rectify it...and to Peter for letting us know.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remember, Peter said the corrected discs won't be ready until June 7th which means to me not to call until that date.

Crawdaddy

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I bought the DVD last month but hadn't had a chance to look at it until last night. I called Fox today and they said that the replacements aren't ready yet, but they took my information and will send me a replacement as soon as it's available. They aren't even asking for the B&W copies to be returned, so there's no reason for anyone to get their dealer involved.

Fox gets a thumbs-up for their handling of this.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
By the way -- what was the problem with Disc 3 of CLEOPATRA? I checked out my copy and it looks fine. Is there something that I missed?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Rickey,
The last disc is missing the exit music. Call and they'll send you a replacement disc.
Great job handling this, guys! :emoji_thumbsup:
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks