What's new

Fox to release Mr. Moto Volume 1 in August (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
How much would a Moto set like this on laserdisc have cost back in the laserdisc days (I never had that format)...?

It still comes down to the subject for me. I don't know what the price of Warner's THIN MAN collection is, for instance, but I never bought it blind one way or the other because I'm not very interested. On the other hand, having never seen the Mr. Moto films either, I'm more intrigued by them so they're the ones I'm going to buy sight-unseen.

(P.S. - I see this set is on Amazon for $41.99).

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
I too plan to purchase the upcoming Chan and Moto sets as they are sentimental favourites. However, there is no denying that Fox is pricing them way above the industry average - Fox well and truly amortised all its costs on these films a very long time ago (that includes the restoration) so the reason for the unusually high price is either greed or an attempt to exclude casual buyers and target only real fans (with deep pockets) and thus try and avoid the debates over the (now) politically unnaceptable casting decision over the central characters (the debacle over MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA can't have helped). Or perhaps a little of both. The result is seemingly both commercially mercenary and artitistically timid - which is to say, this is very far from being a surprise and really very much to be expected, but is still disappointing.

As some of the best Chan and Moto films are not included in the first volumes, it would be truly frustrating if the steep asking price meant that no further volumes were to follow.

I hope they do well, encourage debate about the representation of Asian society in the cinema through the decades, and will be available uncut and unsullied for generations of formats to come.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I really want this set and the Chan set, but my wallet is trying to convince me otherwise. Warner sets are priority to me due to their prices and excellent presentations, so they get my dollars first.

I might have to wait on both Fox sets until a good sale comes around.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Of course, there are also exceptions. Warner has their 2-feature Laurel & Hardy Collection at $39.98, while Fox has their 3-feature Laurel & Hardy Collection at $34.98.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Probably at the average price point the prohibited me from getting into laser disc in the first place ;)

I'm sure we deffinately take for granted what we get on DVD. But we DO in fact get awesome value. It's hard not to compare apples to oranges in this case, as they are both pretty tasty.

As I said, I'm getting the Moto set for Lore. If these can be found for about $40 cdn, I well probably get them both.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The extras for the first Moto set have been announced. Per onvideo.org we can expect featurettes on Peter Lorre, Norman Foster, Sol Wurtzel, and stuntman Harvey Parry.

My initial apprehension about the high MSRP that Fox was charging for the Chans/Motos has evaporated knowing that Amazon and Costco et al will be selling these for $40 or under. The extras on the Chan set were excellent and I imagine the same crew will be doing the Moto ones.

Steve

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
My motto is you can never have too much Moto!
Thanks for that update on the extras, Steve. I picked up the Chan set today at Costco and it rang up $33 at the register! Nice insert for the Mr. Moto set included, too. I'm interested in hearing what specifically the extras will be.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just found the Charlie Chan Set for $39.99 at Tower, so I'm sure the Mr. Moto Set will go for the same price.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I watched this set over this weekend. The films look incredible, very sharp and very clear. There are clips from the films that would be in Volume 2 included in the special features and they all look pristine.

Just for fun, I pulled out my "collector" copies of the Moto films (transferred from 16mm) and to say these new DVDs are a revelation is an understatement. It is not an exaggeration to state that, in my experience, it was like watching these films for the first time.

John Cork has provided 4 additional featurettes which are equally interesting as those on the Chan set (using different speakers). Various relatives are Norman Foster and Sol Wurtzel are on hand to discuss those gentlemen. Peter Lorre's biographer, Stephen Youngkin, provides some insight into Lorre's short, sad life and shares an audio taped interview with Lorre's stuntman.

It's a shame that Fox has priced their DVD box sets too high as I fear it has limited the exposure they would have otherwise. In any event, it seems Mr. Moto Vol 2 will be released at some point (which will complete the series) and Fox should be commended and thanked for responding to consumer requests for this series.

Steve

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I've been rewatching my grey-market DVDs of the Moto series in anticipation of tomorrow's release and to echo Steve O's comments above, they bring a new meaning to "through a glass, darkly." The space saver in me wishes that Fox released the series together in ThinPacks, but I'm pretty pleasantly surprised that these were made available at all especially after that flap about whether or not to broadcast the Charlie Chan series on the Fox Channel a couple of years back. That said, until DVD Beaver's review, I was surprised at how little attention this set has received online. The fanfare for the Chan set was much greater than this which is good for Chan-fans but I hope doesn't result in poor sales for the Motos.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
No Moto at my Costco either, but a moot point since I already had the set. I hope you get your set soon Mike!

I'll be interested in hearing other opinions on HTF but I've noticed that my opinion of these films has increased substantially now that I have clean copies. My previous copy "Thank You, Mr. Moto" had numerous jitters and a fuzzy picture. I kept hearing it was one of the best of the series, but since it gave me a headache to watch it, I never gave it much of a chance. Now I can see what a well made movie it is.

My personal favorite from this set is "Myserious Mr. Moto". It's got a great cast of character actors (Leon Ames, Harold Huber, Erik Rhodes) and Moto's method of bringing the the guilty party to justice is nothing like you'll see in most B mystery series.

If Chan 2 gets released on 10/10 does that mean Moto 2 comes in December? (releases 2 months apart)?

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
My local Costco now has this in stock for $29.xx which is $6 cheaper than they've charged for other Fox 4 DVD collections. Too bad they didn't get this release week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched all four titles and as usual, Fox has done a tremendous job with these dvd presentations. I hope this boxset and the Charlie Chan boxset sells well enough for Fox to continue to release these great classic films.

Crawdaddy

WadeM

Supporting Actor

I agree--I'm starting to think all DVDs should be released in thinpacks. I'm starting to get a little concerned over my DVD shelf space--and I built my shelves with my own two hands to make sure I could maximize the space!! Of course, I always thought they should be packaged like CDs, which could also save space (even though that could compromise some of the theatrical poster artwork..)

Anyways...I thought Thank You Mr Moto was by far the best one in this series.. it really showed how Moto could be a good guy & bad guy at the same time, and some decent action. Interesting for a movie of its time.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I just finished watching this set al well, it was great fun to see them again, and such great quality, I was amazed. I cannot wait for Volume 2 to arrive later this year. I do wish these came with audio commentaries, that would have made them perfect instead of just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks