What's new

Fox to reboot "Fantastic Four"... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
IESB.net - Movie News, Reviews, Interviews and More! - Exclusive: Fantastic Four is Getting the Boot...a Reboot that is

Exclusive: Fantastic Four is Getting the Boot...a Reboot that is
Written by IESB Staff
Monday, 09 March 2009

IESB's has heard word around town is Fantastic Four over at 20th Century Fox is gearing up for a reboot. With Daredevil already getting the once over and Planet of the Apes also in the running for a new start with a prequel in the works Fantastic Four is joining the reboot gang.

The two films previously released never really caught on with the fans and the studio is reportedly looking to completely retool, recast and recrew the franchise. This means no Tim Story, no Iaon, no Julian (thank the maker, he never sat well with me as Dr. Doom), no Chris, no Chiklis and no Jessica.

The first Fantastic Four in 2005 pulled in over $330 million worldwide and the second film, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, opened in 2007 with a total box office take of $290 million. Both made money and were commercial successes but the reviews were lackluster and the fan reaction was mediocre.

The franchise is looking to be "less bubble gum" this time round following the Iron Man template, which was a complete success in reviews and box office take but a bit darker when it came to its superhero. Iron Man was in no way as dark as The Dark Knight but was funny, action-y as well as a bit on the serious side.

Now who do you want as Mr. Fantastic this time out? Which director would be the best choice to bring this story to the screen once again?

Stay tuned to the IESB for further updates!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Too bad about Evans. I thought he was as perfect a Human Torch as we could expect. I would be happy if they brought him back and recast everybody else.

I have no suggestions for the rest of the cast either.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Dumbasses at Fox. If they had only made the movies right the first time. I know they're already talking about rebooting Daredevil (which I wouldn't mind), but it all seems so silly to reboot movies that aren't even 5 years old.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think Chiklis was a good choice for both Ben Grimm and the Thing, probably the best piece of casting in the first film. I'd be happy to see him back in the reboot, because I think he'd be even better in a slightly darker and more serious version of the story. Apart from that, I'm wide open.

I'm more interested in who will be writing and directing the thing.

Regards,

Joe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought Chiklis was an excellent Thing. I hope (but doubt) that they let him return as the character even if it is a reboot.

Assuming the article is correct, I'm cool with them going for an Iron Man-style movie. Anything is better than trying to make the basically light hearted and fun FF comic and turn it into The Dark Knight.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Sounds good to me & maybe even a correct size CGI Thing this time.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
What are the options? Continue to make mediocre FF movies with current cast & director or reboot. I'll take a reboot. I could never understand this made-up rule about needing to let things lay for 5-10 years.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Or, all those that want to wait 5-10 years because of some made-up rule book or you think it needs to lay dorment, just don't go see it. Wait the 5-10 years & rent the Blu-ray in 2014-2020. But don't be upset because others want to see a better version of a Comic Book series that has hundreds of issues to mine for stories.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member

At the end of the day, its only about the potential billions that these movies generate at the box office and in retail sales. Rebooting franchises is a big thing now because it worked out so well for Batman with "Batman Begins" and the mega-blockbuster "The Dark Knight". If the first movie (or two) don't work out as well as hoped, start over, that's the current trend within the studios.

Along with reboots of FF and DD, Fox has a series of 'X-Men Origin' films ready to go into production should 'Wolverine' turn into the hit that most believe it will. Luckily for them (Fox), the X-Men universe is so vast that they could mine characters for potential movies for years to come. Also, don't be surprised if you see the studio have the X-Men, FF, and DD characters appearing in each other's respective films, much like Paramount is doing with their Marvel titles.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I liked Chris Evans. Well, maybe he could portray the Flash.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Reed Richards - Liev Schreiber
Sue Storm - Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah on "Chuck")
Johnny Storm - Austin Nichols
Ben Grimm - Jack Black

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have no interest in this either way (never saw the originals) but from the studio's POV, it make perfect sense. They have the rights to this thing (which didn't come free), and like other similar properties, it could be a gold mine of done right. It's clear at this point that the current franchise is a dead end in that regard. What else were they supposed to do then, just sit on the property?

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I have no interest in this either way...."

The sad thing is for years I always said Fantastic Four could be the ultimate superhero film if done right. Look at The Incredibles.

They didnt do it right. They fucked it up. Dumbasses is absolutely correct. I realize all films are a product, but that doesnt mean you should treat the property like shit.

"(never saw the originals)"

You didnt miss anything. They sucked. Howard the Duck bad. Yes, really, that bad.

Sorry if I sound nasty, but Fox treatment of FF, which was I book I always thought was special and really loved, was pathetic.

As Ive said many times, Fox will have to put this stuff in the hands of really talented filmakers, and get the hell out of their way, for me to see another one of their comic book films

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks