What's new

Fox to launch Blu-ray titles 4th Quarter 2006 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HD DVD combo releases of catalog titles are 34.98 which is $5 cheaper than any Fox BRD.

Crawdaddy

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Universal's intitial HD DVD MSRP was $35 if my memory serves. They cut it back, just as I suspect Fox will in time. It's just a question of how long it takes them to see sense.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Software products are, as they have always been, determined by the marketing folks who make these decisions. Look at DVD... a dual layer disc by one company can cost 1/2 the price of a dual-layer DVD by another company... the cost of manufacture is not the overriding determinant of price.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Thanks for the link Paul.

It is indeed a fantastic press release. I really liked their tittle selection, most of them are pretty high on my book. For me it's the best initial bach so far from any studio on the HD formats.

Not to mention that while both video and audio quality are the top priorities for me, the audio quality ranks just a little bit higher and the DTS-HD MA in full 24bit resolution is the best and most surprising news I've heard from the HD formats yet.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Alex,

where did you read that the DTS lossless on these titles would be 24 bit resolution? I ask bcs so far the Dolby True HD lossless on HD DVD is turning out to be only 16 bit/48 kHz resolution encodings (same with the PCM on Sony's BD discs). Would be really nice to get higher resolution!

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/77546

German:

"Auf jeden Fall sollen alle Filme in der Vollbildauflösung 1080p mit 1920 × 1080 Bildpunkten gespeichert sein. Beim Ton erwarte den Zuschauer eine verlustfrei komprimierte 5.1-Audiospur im Format DTS HD Lossless mit einer Auflösung von 24 Bit."

Babelfish translation:

"In any case ones should be stored all films in the dissolution of frame 1080p with 1920 × 1080 pixels. With the clay/tone expect the spectator a loss-free compressed 5.1-Audiospur in the format DTS hp Lossless with a dissolution of 24 bits."

AlexBC

Second Unit
Thanks Jeff, that's the source.

David, The Lion from AVS has also confirmed this, from the history of his posts I believe he's got some connections as well.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey David,

Here is the information and link on the DTS-HD 24bit format

http://www.dtsonline.com/dts-hd/dts-...-and-hddvd.php

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio can deliver up to 7.1 channels of sound that is virtually indistinguishable from the original. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio delivers audio at high constant bit rates superior to standard DVDs---6.0 Mbps on Blu-ray discs and 3.0 Mbps on HD-DVD to produce outstanding sound quality. It is capable of delivering up to 7.1 channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depth resolution. It allows content creators to deliver rich, high definition audio on movies where disc space may not allow for DTS-HD Master Audio.

DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is a bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. DTS-HD Master Audio delivers audio at super high variable bit rates -24.5 mega-bits per second (Mbps) on Blu-ray discs and 18.0 Mbps on HD-DVD - that are significantly higher than standard DVDs . This bit stream is so "fast" and the transfer rate is so "high" that it can deliver the Holy Grail of audio: 7.1 audio channels at 96k sampling frequency/24 bit depths that are identical to the original. With DTS-HD Master Audio, you will be able to experience movies and music, exactly as the artist intended: clear, pure, and uncompromised.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah, I know that DTS HD can do 24 bits. I just wasn't aware that these specific titles were utilizing 24 bit encoding. Awesome...

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Well...I think the technology can encode/decode up to 24 bit rez, but may not necessarily do it for every title. It would be nice if the packaging indicated the resolution of the audio.

Mike

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

How funny would it be if a "DVD-Jon"-type person cracked BR before the Fox movies came out? :)

Copy protection is irrelevant nowadays. All you need to do is reverse engineer the assembly code.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
AACS is unlikely to be broken any time soon, primarily due to being updatable. People who think it'll be like CSS are probably in for a surprise.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Peter, I'm acutely aware that people such as yourself are willing to assume that BD+ issues are the reason(s) behind the delays. Not only am I less willing to grant that slack but, if those issues are indeed the reasons for the delays, Mike Dunn has repeatedly proven himself mouthy enough to say so publicly.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Agreed - why Fox can't come up with some explanation other than "technical issues" is beyond me. I think if they just shot straight the uproar would be greatly diminished (though until their prices lower I will continue to only buy their product used or at a significant discount).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks