Fox Three Stooges coming....colorized

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Elliott, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    www.dvddrive-in.com has the news. Apparently only the PD shorts will be colorized.

I've been meaning to see the Snow White/Three Stooges film so this is somewhat good news.

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

It's cheap enough for you to give it a try, but as a Stooges fan let me assure you that SNOW WHITE is lousy.

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

The Stooges perform a charming song in SWATTS called "Looking for Fun." It's on the original soundtrack album but, unfortunately, was cut from the film before release. (It's ironic that in a film which has their name in the titles, one of their few spotlighted sections wound up on the cutting room floor!)

It would sure be nice if this deleted song was included as a supplement on the DVD...

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

It will be good to see the film in the CinemaScope ratio for the first time.

The colorized stuff is the latest release from Legend Films, which Fox distributes. Same old PD shorts.

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I kinda like SNOW WHITE, even though there isn't a single laugh in the flick. The production values are nice.

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I'll be curious in what form Snow White shows up. the film was four channel stereo and a pan and scan VHS from 15 years ago was stereo. However, the letterbox transfer on Fox Movies is mono only.
    The film was shot on Sonja Henies old skating rink and the sets from prince Valiant. The film also uses stock footage from Valiant.

7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Is the SOUP FOR NUTS worth buying?

8. Joseph Miller

Joseph Miller Stunt Coordinator

You're not going to believe this, but SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES actually received a nomination from the Writers' Guild for "Best Written American Musical." Shockingly, it lost to WEST SIDE STORY.

Seeing is believing:
    http://www.goldderby.com/lostmind/year/1961/1961wga.htm

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm curious as well?

10. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

You see? The best song from the film is cut out; there isn't a laugh in the flick; the movie is renowned as a musical!?!?

Beware, all you knucklehead lovers! [​IMG]

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I'm not too sure of the song Looking for Fun . All the other songs on the record album are from the film soundtrack. The looking for fun is obviously a bad studio recording and NOT a soundtrack one. Was this something written for the album and not intended for the film?
    The film is really a sort of semimusical with skating ballet sequences.
    One of my favorite dubbers sings for the Prince. His name is Bill Lee. He also dubbed John Kerr in South Pacific (Young then Springtime), Christopher Plummer in Sound of Music (Edlweiss, etc. ) and also sang for other non singing actors in Second Greatest Sex, Torch Song, With a Song in My Heart and many more films.

12. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Well, this all depends on how much you like the Stooges. To me, this is a no-brainer, since I buy anything that comes out with them. But, to others, you might not like it.

The name of the film is actually 'Soup to Nuts', and is considered by many Stoogephiles to be the best Ted Healy film. AMC, when they were the best network on TV airing nothing but old movies, had a film preservation festival and aired it a few times. The response was so good they ran it for several years again, but unfortunately it hasn't been seen since. This film also marks Larry's famous 'Elevator Dance', which is considered to be one of the best gags used by any of the Stooges, even though we only see it this one time.

My recommendation is to get if if you like Ted Healy & His Stooges movies or if you're a completist like myself, but pass if you're just in it for the boys. They're in it for a good chunk of screen time, but it's clearly a Ted Healy film.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've never seen a single Stooge film, only their classic comedy shorts... out of all of their feature length theatrcials, which would you reccommend among the tops to seek out?

14. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I never thought the theatrical features were as good as the shorts, and I'm sure different fans would have different opinions. My favorite features would probably be:

HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL (not yet on DVD)
    THE OUTLAWS IS COMING
    THE THREE STOOGES GO AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE

15. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I'm against the colorization of any B&W movie or TV show.
    It ruins it for me.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

They will also include the original B&W versions if Legend sticks to their formula.
    I will be buying it just for The Film Crew's commentary (the gang from MST3K Sci-Fi years, Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy & Bill Corbett).

My personal favorite Stooges film from childhood was The Three Stooges Meet Hercules....I don't know why but it was.