What's new

Fox, the plot thickens... (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I thought the plan on 5 star was that they would only CREATE so many in a given year - not that there would be limited availability? If that's the case, I may need to pick up the one or two I skipped. If it's a marketting ploy it worked on me.

I'd like to hear more from Fox though.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To add more weight to the stories of many of Fox's 2 Disc SEs being downgraded to single disc SEs, Digital Bits has news up about the release of 'From Hell' which they say will get an intial 2 disc SE release that will soon be withdrawn after its intial release and replaced by a single disc version.

Dan (UK)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
By my calculations, there are currently five Five-Star's out, being ID4, Sound of Music, Cleopatra, Die Hard and The French Connection. I believe those are listed in order of release, so ID4 would be the first to go if indeed they only want five out at a time.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Well I was going to start a new thread based on what Dan (Brecher) said, but it is appropriate here.
We've got very reliable word that when 20th Century Fox bows the Hughes Brothers' From Hell to DVD in May, it will be available in a limited edition 2-disc set, that will feature tons of exclusive material. Word is that the Hughes Brothers have been working closely with Fox to create lots of special content for this edition, including some 23 deleted scenes, an alternate ending, a specially remixed version of the soundtrack and more. You can also expect the usual anamorphic widescreen video and dual Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio options. Then, after a short availability window, the limited edition will disappear, to be replaced by a more basic, single-disc edition of the film.
Well, this goes back to the original post with Cast Away, ID4, The Abyss, etc. 2-disc sets being discontinued. To the point, Is this the future of Fox Home Entertainment??? Are all 2-disc sets going to be pulled for one-disc condensed versions? Would it be safe to assume that they are all "limited editions"? Is so, why? To limit the availability of the extras? Sort of a Disney marketing technique? Maybe I'm overreacting, but this could be one of many changes in the policies of Fox Home Entertianment.
The future of Fox is suddenly not looking quite so bright. :frowning: :frowning:
-Chad

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Chad,
I would assume that to be correct, that duel disc releases will have an initial run and then be scaled back to a single disc. From Hell is not a small, semi-obscure title...it was a sizable hit, as were the other candidates for restructuring. The others, though, were already in print for quite some time and From Hell hasn't even streeted yet. It smells of a ploy to drive up demand for the 2 disc sets, even on unreleased titles. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, yet. It is certainly a strange idea.
Bruce

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'll be buying that From Hell 2-disc set for sure . I hope Wal-mart gets it in. :)

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
I believe this announcement means the beginning of a slow death of DVD in general. The general public has obviously not jumped on the SE band wagon. Pretty soon other studios will follow suit and Special Editions will be eliminated. I advise everyone to either hoarde as many dvds as possible or keep your present DVDs in as good condition as possible. It looks like studios are taking a step back in the evolution of digital home entertainment with D-VHS. DVD has officially become an endangered species.
PS: I wonder why Fight Club isn't being discontinued?
:frowning:

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I believe this announcement means the beginning of a slow death of DVD in general. The general public has obviously not jumped on the SE band wagon. Pretty soon other studios will follow suit and Special Editions will be eliminated.
Easy there, it isn't necessarily a sign of the apocalypse, just an alteration in policy. The 2-disc sets will still be produced they just won't be staying on the market for an unlimited time. You can still buy them, still enjoy them, you just can't wait for a year or so after the release and be guaranteed to have it available.

I'm standing by the belief that it is a Disney type marketing manuveur.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks