What's new

Fox set to release Chan & Moto in 2006 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is still unconfirmed, but I have received two separate reports from individuals who are not ones to spread misinformation. They indicated their information came from first hand sources privvy to the situation.

Apparently Fox has decided to go ahead and begin releasing DVDs of the Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto (Peter Lorre) series starting in March of 2006. The tentative release schedule calls for waves of 4 films each to be released throughout the year. All of the Motos and all of the Warner Oland Chans will be released in 2006. The Sidney Toler Chans would logically follow in 2007 (perhaps in time for the new Lucy Liu project?).

If this pans out, I give enormous credit to FHE for listening to the many consumers that have asked for this to happen. Their classic film DVDs of late have all looked wonderful, and I'm confident that these will as well. Regardless of past misgivings of how Fox treated these films that will be past history once these are released, and I intend to fully support these releases.

Again, not confirmed, but strongly rumored.

Steve

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I know Steve O. is a solid guy who would not even post this "strongly rumored" story if he didn't feel it had legs to it. I trust his sources and am looking forward to seeing the Charlie Chan series released starting next year!

Gary "frankly, it only makes sense for Fox to do this now and recoup some of the money they spent on restoring those Chan films a few years ago" O.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Excellent news. I was wondering where my money was going to go now that all the Rathbone Sherlocks, The Thin Man films, and the Hitchcock sets had been released. :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hope this is true and we finally get the "good Charlie Chan films" vs. the 3rd rate ones we got in the MGM set.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad Fox is finally willing to stand up to the political correctness goons. So Warner Oland is playing Charlie Chan somewhat stereotypical? It's not like it's insulting, since Chan is fighting crime and is intelligent. Same thing for Mr. Moto.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
I certainly hope that this turns out to be true - Several Oland Charlie Chan titles have now been released in the UK (Fox has licensed much of its back catalogue to other companies here) with more to come, but the technical quality has so far been abysmal.

Since all of these titles can still be bought on VHS and new transfers have already been paid for, it is certainly to be hoped that viewers will be given the opportunty to watch these films intact - I would certainly welcome any contextual information by way of supplements however as this would help a dialogue process that is clearly needed - as long as the films themselves were left untouched though!.

Sergio

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
That's great news for someone who grew up watching the old Charlie Chan movies on Sunday afternoons (WGN would alternate them with the Rathbone/Bruce SH movies at noon).

As for political correctness: Warner Oland (a Swede) understood that he was spending his career being typecast as an Asian, so he went out of his way to make his characters (particularly Chan) credible, studying Chinese history and culture. His astute explanation for Chan's broken English was that Chan was a Mandarin who thought in one language and spoke in another.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Although I happen to like the Monogram Chans (hint to Warners) I fully agree that the Fox films are superior. The supporting casts were quite good and the writing and directing were top notch as well.

The Moto films are quite effective as well. Peter Lorre's characterization was very good and I like how a dual view of Moto was presented. He was a brilliant, soft spoken "detective" who thought nothing of killing a villain who got in his way.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The digital bits is now reporting in their rumor mill that Fox is bringing a Volume 1 of a Chan collection in early 2006. Maybe Barrie Maxwell can expand upon this in his upcoming "Classic Coming Attractions" column (assuming there is more info to be had).

This will be part of a new line called "Cinema Classics Collections" with some interesting other titles also rumored.

Thank you Fox for listening to those who have been requesting not only the Chan/Moto titles, but your other catalog titles as well!! It is most appreciated.

Steve

Charles H

Screenwriter
Hopefully they will include the rarely-seen BEHIND THAT CURTAIN and THE BLACK CAMEL (shot on location in Waikiki at the Royal Hawaiian; Robert Young's film debut) and they proceed chronologically.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Are these worth a blind buy? I've been blind buying classic stuff left and right, Film Noir, Musicals, Thin Man etc, and mostly enjoying them. I do have to cut down a bit on spending. What do these compare too?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Are you familiar with the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies? These follow the same general format: 70 minute mysteries with an engaging lead character balanced by a sidekick for comic relief. Writing and directing are usually sharp and crisp. The Chan series also benefited from an unusually strong lineup of supporting character actors. Ray Milland, Cesar Romero, Boris Karloff, Rita Hayworth (pre-stardom role), George Zucco, Lionel Atwill, and George Reeves all made appearances along with a whole host of well known character actors (William Demarest, Leon Ames, Doug Fowley, Marc Lawrence, etc.)

The Motos are about the same length, but he doesn't have a sidekick and Moto has a ruthless side to him that many series characters don't have which makes this series unique and quite fascinating.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Barrie Maxwell's column (an excellent read) today mentions that the initial batch of Fox Chans is now expected in early summer as opposed to the rumored March date.

Perhaps Fox is looking into releasing these as boxed collections (like the upcoming Brooks set) as opposed to single releases and needs extra time to prepare?

Whatever the reason, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait as Fox has done a wonderful job with their initial wave as Cinema Classics releases. Hopefully their official announcement won't be too far off. Fox continues to lose sales to bootleggers (reference the now closed thread) the longer they wait to announce this. Even Amazon is carrying bootlegs in their regular listings :frowning:

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
One of the hardest to find Chan films is also one of the best "The Black Camel". It is the earliest surviving Oland film and co-stars Bela Lugosi in a great performance. For years only a handful of prints were known to exist and the ownership of this film was thought to have transferred to Warners.

Now, thanks to an article published in the Honolulu Advertiser we find that Fox is prepping this title for release.

This is the only Chan film to be filmed in Hawaii and it also features Robert Young in his first billed role.

Combined with Barrie Maxwell's revelation yesterday that Warner is considering releasing the Monogram Chans, this has been a very good news week for Chan fans.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks