What's new

FOX series "Can-Can" May 22 Defective? (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Can one have trouble playing the new "Can-Can" disc from FOX. I purchased two copies from different retailers ( FRy's and Broaders, no one else had it)and both discs stopped playing half way through disc One.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mine didn't stop playing, but I had obvious color fluctuations throughout the film. It's incredibly sharp and otherwise looks better than I've ever seen it, but the color timing is wonky!

William Miller

Second Unit
I guess I will post this again since a new thread was started with the same topic as contained in another thread:

The Can-Can good news:

Complete Todd-AO Roadshow with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music.

Eye-popping colors.

Great stereo sound.

Disc 2 has very nice extras.

The bad news:

As previously mentioned, the first thing you see on Disc 1 is a disclaimer that the best possible materials were used. This is not a good sign of things to come. I guess that all they could find for the Roadshow version was a not so hot print. And the problem is that the image is constantly shifting in color registration. Looks perfect and great and then not so great and then wow! and then ecchhh! and then socks fly off and then very dupey looking. But you can watch it and almost handle the big problem because you are finally seeing it correctly and complete. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

My copy played fine. (In the other thread, the question was asked if the disc was recalled) Just because a certain retailer does not have it in stock does not mean it has been recalled. Best Buy does not stock many classic films and Circuit City hardly stocks any. Costco had many copies in stock along with On the Riviera and Pigskin Parade.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Greg, try playing your Can Can disc on a friend's player. If the disc plays, then perhaps the trouble is with your player and not the disc.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I've played the disc on another player and it played through, so it was just that one player (It was an expensive one which displays better color) But it plays fine a SONY player.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is hard to find in my area. I work for a retailer that carries dvds, and we didn't get this title at all....when i checked, quantities in the warehouse had dropped considerably...It led me to wonder if it had been recalled, and this thread makes me wonder even more seriously. hmm...

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The only problem on Can-Can that I noticed was that the last couple of seconds of the Entr'Acte is abruptly clipped off before the second half commences.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I have been unable to find this anywhere. Haven't checked Borders or Barnes & Noble yet. Hope I get that way soon.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I still haven't found this in my area...i suppose i'll have to order it.
The only reason I knew about the release was because of a big ad for it in Entertainment Weekly about a month ago...it is pretty scarce, so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks