FOX series "Can-Can" May 22 Defective?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, May 23, 2007.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Can one have trouble playing the new "Can-Can" disc from FOX. I purchased two copies from different retailers ( FRy's and Broaders, no one else had it)and both discs stopped playing half way through disc One.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Mine didn't stop playing, but I had obvious color fluctuations throughout the film. It's incredibly sharp and otherwise looks better than I've ever seen it, but the color timing is wonky!

3. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I guess I will post this again since a new thread was started with the same topic as contained in another thread:

The Can-Can good news:

Complete Todd-AO Roadshow with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music.

Eye-popping colors.

Great stereo sound.

Disc 2 has very nice extras.

The bad news:

As previously mentioned, the first thing you see on Disc 1 is a disclaimer that the best possible materials were used. This is not a good sign of things to come. I guess that all they could find for the Roadshow version was a not so hot print. And the problem is that the image is constantly shifting in color registration. Looks perfect and great and then not so great and then wow! and then ecchhh! and then socks fly off and then very dupey looking. But you can watch it and almost handle the big problem because you are finally seeing it correctly and complete. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

My copy played fine. (In the other thread, the question was asked if the disc was recalled) Just because a certain retailer does not have it in stock does not mean it has been recalled. Best Buy does not stock many classic films and Circuit City hardly stocks any. Costco had many copies in stock along with On the Riviera and Pigskin Parade.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Greg, try playing your Can Can disc on a friend's player. If the disc plays, then perhaps the trouble is with your player and not the disc.

5. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I've played the disc on another player and it played through, so it was just that one player (It was an expensive one which displays better color) But it plays fine a SONY player.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

This is hard to find in my area. I work for a retailer that carries dvds, and we didn't get this title at all....when i checked, quantities in the warehouse had dropped considerably...It led me to wonder if it had been recalled, and this thread makes me wonder even more seriously. hmm...

7. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    The only problem on Can-Can that I noticed was that the last couple of seconds of the Entr'Acte is abruptly clipped off before the second half commences.

8. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark

I was just about to post the same thing. I got my copy today, and that's the only disappointment I've encountered.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have been unable to find this anywhere. Haven't checked Borders or Barnes & Noble yet. Hope I get that way soon.

10. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I still haven't found this in my area...i suppose i'll have to order it.
    The only reason I knew about the release was because of a big ad for it in Entertainment Weekly about a month ago...it is pretty scarce, so far.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I got mine at a local FYE (TransWorld store)! [​IMG]