FOX - Please start working on the "Big" Special Edition DVD.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LukeB, Sep 23, 2001.

1. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I know Mr. Staddon said that FOX hopes to revisit "Big" and that we might see it for the Christmas 2002 season. Well, Peter and anyone else involved, please start work upon this now, so that it can be done in time for the Christmas 2002 DVD season.
    It's one of my favorite movies of all-time, but I will not bring myself to buy the mess that is the current DVD. Certainly an anamorphic transfer and 5.1 DD mix go without saying. A production featurette would be nice, plus if you could somehow get the rights to the AMC "Backstory" special (which I enjoyed), that would make a good extra. Original trailer and TV ads, a commentary by Penny Marshall and Tom Hanks would be nice, deleted scenes and outtakes, and anything else you guys can think of. Please start work on this ASAP, as I'd really love to own it by the end of next year, and I don't want this to be a rushed release, or to be delayed beyond Christmas 2002.
    Thanks, Peter. I believe I speak for a lot of people when I say this.

2. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

It would be nice indeed.
    But I would love to see HOME ALONE and HOME ALONE 2
    5 star editions for next christmas.
    That would be very awsome.
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
    Thank you WILL K for the banner

3. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

where is everyone? i know there are more fans of this movie out there!
    ------------------
    They mostly come at night. Mostly... - Newt
    DVD Collection

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I'd buy it.

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Check.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

I would repurchase both Big and the first 2 Home Alones in a instant.
    ------------------
    Jonathan

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I'm there. Not interested in the current release. Would buy a SE.

8. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I would buy this disc.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Funny. We were in Best Buy yesterday, and the missus picks up the edtion of "Big" that's out and says, "Boy I'd like it, but not for this price!". It was marked $19.99, and she remarked that the features weren't appropriate to the cost.
    I've since noticed that it currently lists for $29.99, but a MSRP markdown to $22.99 is scheduled for about 3 weeks after Thanksgiving. I guess that will put it at a $15-20 price point, but I still think I'll wait for an SE, rather than get a bare-bones disc (non-anamorphic WS and a trailer and that's it) like this for a movie that's so well-loved.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [Edited last by Robert Crawford on September 30, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I caught the AMC Backstory episode, too, and it reminded me that this is one of my all-time favorite movies. The next day I was in Best Buy and held a copy in my hand, but put it back on the shelf when I remembered why I hadn't bought it in the first place - it is a barebones and non-anamorphic from the bad old days. Worth a rental, but I won't buy it if there's a chance of getting the special edition version this film deserves.
    (Ditto, Tootsie, from Columbia, which is anamorphic, but otherwise nothing special. Don't the studios think that classic comedies are as important as classic dramas? I watched the terrific Fox French Connection and Die Hard five-stars this weekend, and would love to see some of the classic modern comedies like Big get similar treatment.)
    Regards,
    Joe

11. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I wonder if Mr. Staddon could comment on the latest status of this. I know with the recent price reduction, the barebones subpar disc now retails for just $19.99, but I'd really rather wait and get the proper DVD treatment that this movie deserves.

Can we still expect it by Christmas 2002?

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I caught that rerun of Backstory, too, and had the same reaction - where the heck is the special edition this film so richly deserves? (And ditto for Tootsie - who can we bug at Columbia? [​IMG]) Speaking of the bad old days of non-anamorphic, and films that deserve better (although not treated too badly in their original versions) - how about revisting some of the great Mel Brooks comedies? I'd love to have an even more elaborate anamorphic special edition of Young Frankenstein, probably his best work. With the Broadway success of The Producers, maybe someone can do one of those multi-studio collector's sets together with improved editions of several of Mel's films.
    Regards,
    Joe

13. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

It's too bad Columbia could have done a SE of Tootsie like Critertion did for the LD SE. It was beautiful.