What's new

FOX - please say NO to PAN&SCAM for ANGEL (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I hear depressing news that R2 Fox are releasing Angel in pan&scam and not in its original widescreen(source:www.dvddebate.com). This is a plea to keep all Fox DVD releases (all regions) in OAR at a minimum.
By all means make hacked pan/scam versions available as separate releases if your marketing computers think people want it (ha!).
The sickness must stop!
Thanks for reading.
Others may wish to sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/ANGELDVD/petition.html

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Phillip, as I've tried to explain. Joss only protects for 16:9. The show is NOT shown in the US in widescreen, and Joss's preferred ratio is 4:3. If it were Warner, I'd be suspect, but this is Fox
Jeff Kleist

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Sorry, this was written before I saw your reply in the other thread.
Even if it is open matte, and OAR, I've seen it transmitted in 16:9 (as well as 4:3), and prefer the widescreen framing.
P.S. "Protects for 16:9"? Is Joss Whedon a Stanley Kubrick fan? :)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Philip: There's no 'open matte'. Angel is shot natively in widescreen and cropped for broadcast.
As far as the preferred ratio -- David Greenwalt has said he's talked to the WB about presenting "Angel" in widescreen only (and he said it's unlikley to happen this year), so I'd guess there's a little more to it than that. Regardless, if the broadcast version is just a cropped version of the 16x9, wouldn't this be a perfect application for pan-and-scan on the fly?
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
So are the CGI effects done for the 16:9 frame too? In my book that makes Angel's OAR 16:9 (even if it's not the original American TV transmission ratio) - in which case I stand by my original post!
tongue.gif

Adam: Agreed - master the discs for 16:9, and make the centre 4:3 area the default setting in the menu. That should please everybody. Jeff?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks