What's new

Fox- Please give DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR! to Twilight Time! (1 Viewer)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
That doesn't sound good. The color palette and brightness of the laserdisc is exactly how I remembered it in the theater.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I recall when that DVD came out, someone saying to me, "They've restored it to it's original sepia-look!" I knew I was in for some major disappointment. Then came a HAWAII that was not the same presentation that was on the laserdisc, and my Julie video world fell apart! :lol:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Her first decade of movie stardom has not always been well served. We did finally get a good Emily, but I had some problems with the Blu-ray of Torn Curtain if I'm remembering correctly, and we don't even have Hawaii, Millie, or Lili on Blu-ray.

I smell a conspiracy!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Just saw the German bluray of DR. DOOLITTLE (1967) and it is spectacular. Must have been culled from the 70mm because the detail is ridiculous. Yes, it's slightly faded and scratched but I love how it looks. Beautiful book packaging as well and I got it for 13 bucks on Amazon. Star is not a good movie but I would like to have it on bluray.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Why is it missing the TODD-AO credit? It is in the 2:20 aspect ratio though. Twilight Time has hinted that Fox may be giving it to them.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
warnerbro said:
Just saw the German bluray of DR. DOOLITTLE (1967) and it is spectacular. Must have been culled from the 70mm because the detail is ridiculous. Yes, it's slightly faded and scratched but I love how it looks. Beautiful book packaging as well and I got it for 13 bucks on Amazon. Star is not a good movie but I would like to have it on bluray.
Sorry but calling it spectacular is extremely generous and in my opinion misleading.

Compared to how it should look it looks drab, noisy and really oldish which is probably the reason Fox does not release it in the US, it would be a joke after they have released decent to spectacular Blu-rays from 70mm productions recently.

I just feel compelled to point this out in order to warn prospective buyers. It is a bit better than the old Spartacus BD or The Greatest Story Ever Told but not that much really and I also expect Twilight Time to stay away because of this in case they could get it.

So everybody that buys the German version can expect better than DVD but nothing that really would do the original large format photography justice in the way that a proper Blu-ray would. A search may also help here as I am not alone with this opinion if I remember correctly.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Allansfirebird said:
I believe MGM did the previous DVD release, so it could come from them or Kino.
It's part of the ABC Films that MGM has licence to, however MGM has said they do not have the ability to sub-licenesse to another company, such as Kino. So it will have to come from MGM.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Allansfirebird said:
I believe MGM did the previous DVD release, so it could come from them or Kino.
I think it's public domain, when trying to find a good

dvd I found it from many vendor's. None had it in 6.0 , all were mono. It had a great track, much better then Volcano and Peak.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
If that Doolittle Blu-ray doesn't have the Todd-AO credit, it must be a 35mm source.
Possible, but it does not really matter given the fact that it looks rather underwhelming.

I guess that this has not exactly been selling like crazy for Fox given the fact that it is one of their last Todd-AO movies that has not yet been prepared for Blu-ray, Star! obviously being the other.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
warnerbro said:
This is a joke, right? Slightly faded??? It is totally faded and horrible-looking and the detail is hardly eye-popping since it's clearly from a 35mm element that is completely brown. Please say you were kidding :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The DVD I have was released by Anchor Bay.

ahollis said:
It's part of the ABC Films that MGM has licence to, however MGM has said they do not have the ability to sub-licenesse to another company, such as Kino. So it will have to come from MGM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks