What's new

Fox Path Theater - Now Under Construction (1 Viewer)

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Sure you screen is 4" bigger than mine, LOL

I should have contracted the Drywall and mudding out, What a pain 60 sheets in 21 hours and a sore body. The wife is such a trooper, I would get a 4x12 sheet cut and ready to go up and she would help me get it on the lift, I give her alot of credit, plus she stained all the woodwork/trim/doors for me on Sunday.

I just bought the ceiling paint "Beluga Black" from Behr.

I want to go with a smooth paint finish, but I will have to get the mudding perfect so you can't see any lines. I will probably put sand in the paint.

What are you doing for the ceiling?

I am not a huge audiophile either, but I do like nice equipment :). You have so very nice equipment. Good choice on the speakers, I bought the 750sig mains, 200 center, 300 sides and 150 rears.

I am spending about $6000 on the construction(includes a 12x14 craft room for the Mrs) and $18000 on equipment,

Steve

BrianKR

Second Unit
Man you are a patient man Chris.
I'd would climb the walls if I had to wait 18+ months.
I cant wait to see the finished product.
DE's designs are incredible!

I am spending about $6000 on the construction(includes a 12x14 craft room for the Mrs) and $18000 on equipment
Just think how much you would've had for equipment if you didn't do it yourself. ;)

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Progress report...

I have to apologize for bumping such an old thread, but it didn't make sense to start a new one. Just wanted to bring you all up to speed with regard to my never-ending HT project. :b

Drywall was finished a couple of weeks ago and the lobby area and theater ceiling have been primed for painting. I'm debating whether to paint the ceiling now or wait until after I have the soffits up.

This weekend I banged out the stage, proscenium & screenwall and started acoustical treatments in that entire area:

[url=http://gallery.slatterysonline.com/albums/HT/Proscenium/thumb_proscenium6.JPG] [/url]

The electrical is 99% complete, just waiting for the electrician to come back this week and tie the subpanel into the main panel. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the lighting plan looks in action. (even with my unfinished walls and ceiling!)

That's about it for now. New pics have been added to my gallery. Hopefully my updates will come at a much faster clip than they have in the past. :D

Thanks for tuning in...

John Swarce

Second Unit
Looks great, Chip! I'm sure you are itching to get the room completed. It's something to see when looking through your site as to the progress that you've made already.

Is that Linacoustic that you are putting on the screen wall? If so, can you tell me where you sourced it in MA? The JM site said there are a few places in Southern MA I could check.

I am still in the mudding/sanding phase of the basement(ALMOST done...hopefully this week's vacation will see the end of THAT! :D ), and then I can hopefully start on the riser and stage framing of the theater room. Of course, my wife is pushing to get the bathroom floor done first. Women have their priorities all messed up!

John

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
John,

It's not actually Linacoustic, but a very similar product made by Knauf. (Knauf Ductliner E•M)

Here is a PDF comparison of the absorption coefficients of several similar duct lining products: (including both Knauf and JM's Linacoustic)
Duct Liner Comparisons

Knauf is distributed in New England by General Insulation . They have locations in Medford, Somerville and Millbury. I don't know if they sell direct, but they can probably point you to your closest HVAC supplier that carries it. Most HVAC suppliers either stock it or can get it. I happen to work for one (F.W. Webb Company) so I bought it through my company.

It was a while ago when I bought mine, but I think I paid around $140/roll which was in line with what the JM products were going for at the time.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Screenwall, proscenium walls and stage area acoustical treatments finished.

This past weekend I started on the soffits:

[url=http://gallery.slatterysonline.com/albums/HT/Soffits/thumb_soffits4.jpg] [/url]

Took me a little while to work out all the dimensions, but in the end I think it's going to look pretty decent.

Another exciting (well, exciting for me anyway ) step was getting the final electrical tied into the subpanel. I now have lights and power in the room:

[url=http://gallery.slatterysonline.com/albums/HT/Lighting/thumb_lighting2.jpg] [/url]

I started playing with the Grafik Eye and I think that's going to be one splurge I'm glad I went for...

Additional pictures are on my construction page linked below.

I hope to have the soffits finished this week/weekend, then I can start on firring out the room for the rest of the acoustical treatments.

Stay tuned...

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chip:

Looking great. I know you are really getting excited as more of the project gets completed.

If you want (so that your server loads stay down) feel free to upload your pictures to our gallery too.

Parker

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
I've been threatening an update for a while now and finally got around to taking some more pictures:

Soffits are done with the exception of the lip for the light tray. I'm leaving this off for now as I'm going to paint the ceiling and the face of the soffits the same color and it will be much easier without the lip in place.

Started furring out the walls for the acoustical treatments and fabric this weekend and got a pretty good chunk complete.

Once the furring is complete I'll build the columns and paint the ceiling, then I think I'll be ready for carpet, which I haven't even picked out yet! Can you believe I'm this far along and haven't finalized the carpet or fabric yet? Picking a color scheme is turning out to be the toughest part of the whole build. At least I know the ceiling, screenwall and proscenium walls will be black so I can get started with that while I debate the rest.

As always follow the link in my sig below for pics.

**One other thing. I had built a temporary 110" diagonal 1.78 BOC screen during construction to help with the layout. Now that the screenwall is done I decided to put it back up to get an idea how it would look. I also recently took delivery of my projector (AE700) so I threw up a quick image (using my 4-yr-old laptop as the source through VGA...no tweaks) to get the whole picture. (pun intended :D ) Anyway, from my first-row seating position (13') 110" just didn't seem large enough, and now I'm more certain than ever that I'll be going with 120". There's a picture of the mounted screen in the "Proscenium" album on my site.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick progress report...

Painted my ceiling today (Benjamin Moore Twilight Zone Black) as well as the face of my soffits, and while I was at it I threw a coat on my furring strips as well to hopefully prevent them from showing behind the fabric.

I must have put the paint on a little too thick though because my ceiling seems six inches lower! ;) And dark? I have a 500w work light that lights up the room like a 60w table lamp now. I'm amazed what a drastic difference just painting the ceiling made.

I also temporarily ceiling mounted the projector to make sure I had worked out all the angles. Even straight out of the box I was pretty pleased with the picture. (of course being a projector newbie and having an untrained eye certainly factors into my assessment) Of course I had to take a couple of obligatory screenshots so I put up a new album on my site for those. The image on the screen is actually better than the amateur photos would lead you to believe. :D

Now that the paint is done I can put the light tray lip on my soffits and get started on the columns. Carpet and fabric to follow.

Until next time...

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
This past week I finished up the furring strips and built my columns.

The columns were built to be removable (if necessary) and are basically just friction-fit with a couple of drywall screws holding them in place for the time being. I'll remove them when I start hanging the wall fabric, wrap them in GOM and then screw back into place. This should give me nice clean seams around the edges of the columns where they meet the wall.

I'm going to get the acoustical treatments done this week and then it's on to carpet, fabric and finish work.

As always updated pics are on my site.

We're getting closer....

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure the anticipation is getting unbearable, especially now that you did your test projection!

Great work!

I wish I had posted a construction progress update like you are doing. I did't take time to snap enough pictures though.

Can't wait for your next update.

David

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
So when do we get the seating/carpet/fabric/trim pics?

Also, how about some close-ups of the HT equipment. I'm eager to see how this all comes togeather. :D

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Acoustical treatments (batting & Knauf ductliner) have been installed:

Also picked up my receiver this past weekend (Marantz SR8500) so I temporarily hooked up my speakers (Axiom M60s/VP150/QS8s) for a trial run. I had visions of getting all the fabric up only to find I had cut into a speaker wire somewhere along the line. Even though it would be a pain to re-run at this point it would have been a disaster if the fabric had already been installed. Luckily everything seems to be in order, so now I have to break it all down and clean up the room (you'll notice it's a MESS in the pictures) so I can get the carpet installed.

Slowly but surely progressing. I'm still loathe to set a deadline for completion, but I can almost taste it...

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
He's baaaaack!

Anyone remember me? I'm the guy that started his theater close to three years ago, solemnly swearing to his wife and kids that it was a 12-18 month project, tops!

Well, I'm not divorced and the kids are still speaking to me, but I'm still not done. Closer, but not done.

I finally made a decision on carpet and it was installed today. I wanted something with a pattern since my walls are going to be a solid color GOM (actually two colors - top/bottom - but still solid) and I'm probably going to go with black Berklines for seating. The carpet needed to added a little interest to the room, without being over-the-top.

After pouring over samples for a couple months, this is what we finally decided on:

And here's a close-up:

Details:

Manufacturer: Shaw Hospitality (www.shawhospitality.com)
Collection: Pratesi
Style Name: Palazzi
Style Number: 50733
Color Name: PULA
Color Number: 33310

My pictures tend to make the carpet appear a bit "yellower" than it actually is, and my attempts in Photoshop to correct it are obviously lacking. A pretty good representation of the color can be found here: Palazzi Pattern (click the bottom pattern in the right-hand column)

More pictures in my construction gallery: Direct Link to Carpet Gallery

For those not familiar with but interested in the HT that has taken the better part of three years to get to this point, a (more or less) complete construction photolog can be found by following the link in my signature.

Next up is measuring and ordering GOM. I'll probably start a new thread as I'm interested in how best to measure for the GOM so I don't end up with a lot of waste. Any suggestion/tips are welcome.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Let's see...Chip...Chip....Chip....no, the name does not ring a bell! Must be one of those newbies!

Good to see an update, Chip. Your theater is coming along great. Don't despair...it will get done! I keep saying that to myself about MY basement theater! :b What color is your GOM going to be? And are you still planning on getting the Panny AE-700 for the projector, or are you looking at the new 900?

John

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
What color is your GOM going to be? And are you still planning on getting the Panny AE-700 for the projector, or are you looking at the new 900?
John,

GOM is going to be #408 Black on the screenwall, proscenium walls, top of columns and lower half of the side and rear walls. The top half of the side and rear walls will be #130 Wheat. Bottom half of the columns will be wood, most likely some sort of beadboard-style wainscoting, to dress it up a bit.

I already have the AE-700...bought it back when ProjectorPeople dropped the price which coincided with a $200 Panasonic rebate. I jumped on it. I'm actually glad I did, because waiting and agonizing over which projector to get nearly gave me an ulcer. I had to just bite the bullet and pick one. That, and I wanted to make sure my throw distance, ceiling mount, screen placement, etc. were correct before going any further with the project.

Right now my equipment list is as follows:

Projector: Panasonic AE-700 (purchased)
Screen: Carada 120 Inch Diagonal BW Criterion 1.85 to 1 (to be purchased)
Speakers: Axiom M60ti mains, VP150 center, QS8 rear/side surrounds (purchased)
Subs: Dual SVS 20-39PC+ (to be purchased)
Receiver: Marantz SR-8500 (purchased)
DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-S97S (purchased)
Sat Receiver: DirecTV HR10-250 HD-TiVo (to be purchased)
Power Conditioner: Furman PL-PLUS Series II (to be purchased)

I think that's it for now. I'm sure over the next couple months I'll find something else I can't live without, but this should get me started.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks