What's new

FOX- - If you ever do D.C.'s Fly SE... (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
Bob Burns has some surviving pieces of Brundlefly, etc. He might be a good source for images of the puppet/makeup stuff as it is today.

Greg K

Second Unit
Well, just checking in to see if there's any new news regarding this release. I wonder if there'll be an official statement regarding it anytime soon. Huh.

Anyway, I'm still hoping that this'll be a VERY solid and beefy release, with the rarest of the rare when it comes to extras. The deleted scenes (perhaps with commentary or a short documentary about them) are a must, but I'm wondering about the incomplete (?!?!?) insect leg amputation scene. It should still be included, no matter what form it takes (dailies, etc.).

Rumor has it Cronenberg has already recorded a commentary for the DVD. Can anyone confirm? Chris Walas, Carol Spier, and the other Cronenberg "regulars" would be a plus (the Criterion Dead Ringers DVD is a good example of how to do a "Cronenberg" commentary track).

Makeup tests and photo galleries would also be a must. A few photos of early/unused makeups have appeared over the years (test shot of Goldblum in stage 2, but wearing his tweed-jacketed suit, early tries for stage 4, etc.).

Trailers and tv spots (were there even any?) are also a must. Was there a teaser trailer? Or just the one on the Fly/Fly II DVD?

The original Charles Pogue script (as well as Cronenberg's) would also be nice in terms of studying the film's evolution.

Well, I hope more news about this release comes out soon!

Greg K

Second Unit
Ohhh, my. If *this* is what Peter Staddon meant instead of a Fly '86 SE DVD, I'll be upset.

Is *another* remake really needed???

Fox Searchlight To Remake The Fly Source: Variety Friday,

September 5, 2003

Fox Searchlight has made a deal to remake The Fly, with feature newcomer Todd Lincoln writing the script and directing.

The studio began setting up meetings with Lincoln for The Fly as they watched their Danny Boyle-directed zombie film 28 Days Later become a summer sleeper hit.

Lincoln is an admirer of the 1958 original and David Cronenberg's 1986 redo and swears he won't fall into that fly-trap of regurgitating a well-worn plot. "I'm one of those comic book sci-fi fans who read the remake announcements and groan," he tells Variety. "This is certainly inspired by the original but it's a total re-imagining." What new things can we expect? "Why, in both films, did the fly never fly?"

Greg K

Second Unit
Y'know, I'm wondering when the official disc announcement for this release will be (if at all?). Could it be that it'll be around the time the *new* Fly remake gets into full swing (if it actually does?).

Logic suggests that since Cronenberg is done with Spider and is thus between films right now, he'd have time to work on a Fly SE now, much like the upcoming Criterion Naked Lunch DVD, which will have Cronenberg/Weller commentary, etc.

Greg K

Second Unit
Latest updates:

The Criterion DVD Cronenberg's Naked Lunch is now out, with Cronenberg commentary (I have yet to get it). Spiffy.

No news on "new" Fly remake.

No news on Cronenberg's Fly 86 SE DVD. I'm dying for *some* tidbit of info on this. There's been nothing since Mr. Staddon oh-so-strongly hinted that it *would* be made (hums "Jeopardy theme").

Anyone heard anything new?

Gotta keep hope alive, eh?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
it does take awhile to reinsert scenes back into the movie if they do that. probably come out late next year or something.

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
By the way, I did get Naked Lunch yesterday, but have yet to view it. Cronenberg commentaries are always good.

Reinserting the deleted footage? Hmm. A director's cut would be interesting, but I heard a rumor that many years ago, Cronenberg opted against a director's cut for a VHS release of the film, as he felt the film worked as is.

I wouldn't mind it either way, as supplements or reinserted. We'll see, I guess.

Not to nag or anything, but I feel I should test the waters here every now and then regarding updates on the status of this release.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am just saying about reinserting footage back into the movie always takes time.. for any movie.. not just the fly remake. I don;t know if they will have the deleted scenes separate or not.

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
Well, the new year is almost upon us...

Perhaps the upcoming chat with our good friend Peter Staddon will give us an update on the status of this release.

It's been a *great* year for Fox DVDs. Let's hope 2004 is even better if/when it brings The Fly (1986) Special Edition, eh?

Indeed, an Alien Quadrilogy-type release for all 5 Fly films would be a fanboy's dream come true.

Also, no news concerning the proposed Todd Lincoln Fly remake for Fox Searchlight. Anyone heard anything?

Greg K

Second Unit
Huzzah!!!!

In case anyone missed it, here are the relevant bits from Monday's chat with Peter Staddon...

Jacob said he'd ask about the Fly SE, but it would seem he was beaten to it!

Hi Peter! Easy question... Can you confirm if or when we might
be getting the following Special Editions in 2004: The Fly:SE (1986),
Predator:SE, True Lies:SE, and Romancing the Stone:SE?

Predator SE - yes just in time for Alien Vs Predator,
The Fly should make it into 2004 but no promises. True Lies is dependent
on getting a number of very busy people together to work on it. I
don't know if a sitting Governor has done a commentary track before,
and Jim Cameron has a truly crazy schedule. I'd love to bring it
out in 2004 but I'm not too hopeful.

Hi Peter. Thanks for coming tonight. Great news about the
special edition of Cronenberg's "The Fly". Any plans on revisiting Fort
Apache The Bronx, Home Alone, Commando, or History Of The World with new
anamorphic transfers? And what about the status of High Anxiety and
Eating Raoul? Thanks for your time.

Where to start? The Fly should be out in late 2004.
History of the World and High Anxiety are ready to go pending the
resolution of some issues at the studio, Fort Apache isn't being worked
on. Home Alone could be an SE sometime down the road but we aren't working
on it at this point. Commando and Eating Raoul are not being worked on
either at this stage.

This seems to be a solid confirmation of the release! Let's hope more info about it follows as the year progresses!

I'd like to thank all those fans out there for supporting this lengthy (but worthwhile) crusade!

Greg K

Second Unit
From a recent (?) Cronenberg interview...

"Fox once phoned wanting me to do a commentary for The Fly. I said, "Sure, as long as I get to oversee the transfer." It's never looked right except in theaters. Once it hit TV and so on, it was always too bright. They said, "No, we won't do that." [Laughs.] And I said, "Then I'm not doing the commentary." There won't be a good DVD until Fox, or whoever they delegate it to, is willing to let me oversee that transfer, which as you might expect is an important thing for the fans and for me since, as I say, it's never been seen in homes the way it's supposed to look -- ever.

I've heard that there are rumors of a Halloween special edition or whatever. I don't know why Fox wouldn't do it. I mean the amount of money involved is very minimal these days. These transfers can be done in Toronto and they can be done in Los Angeles. Mark Irwin, who shot The Fly, lives in L.A., so I just can't understand their attitude. They just didn't want to bother. So, I would say, unless you see an edition of The Fly that has a commentary by me and says "Director Approved," or something like that, then it's just not going to be a good one ."

Has this release stalled, Fox, or is it going to be a Special Edition produced without the involvement of David Cronenberg? If the latter is true, then why bother doing the SE in the first place????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks