What's new

Fox has gone Mad: Speedvision -> The NASCAR Network (1 Viewer)

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Fox in Speedvision’s Driver’s Seat
I don't have anything against NASCAR, I watch it every now and again have even been to a race at the Texas Motor Speedway. But give me a break. First Fox is screwing around with this whole HDTV thing now they want to go and mess-up one of the few NTSC channels I like. This shit makes me sick, first Fox puts NASCAR races on FX so they NASCAR lovers will start bitching because their sorry ass cable company doesn't carry it. In hopes that the cable company will put it on their analog spectrum. So now they want to see if they can get away with the same thing using Speedvision.
It will be just a mater of time before Speedvision will be a 24hr Nascar channel. That means fans of F1, Moto GP, AMA, GT, WRC, Le Mans, etc will be left out in the cold. If FOX keeps this up, I will stop watching IMO the only 2 decent shows on their network Ally McBeal and Boston Public. Not to mention, I will not even have their (480p only) digital channel listed on my STB.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Don't get me started on this one, it really pi**es me off!
I'm a big fan of F1, and now, thanks to SpeedVision, F1 fans in the US are treated to somw of the best F1 coverage in the world: I hour of Friday Practice Highlights, live Qualifying coverage complete with the post-session news conference and analysis, live coverage of the race, with in depth pre- and post-race coverage. The SV announce team are knowledgeable and entertaining, the whole thing is very fan-friendly.
All this is going to be trashed, and for what? MORE NASCAR coverage? WTF? its over saturated as it is. SV is the only media outlet where motor racing "coverage" isn't 99% NASCAR and "oh yeah some bunch of furrners had some race at this "Spa" place, we think its in Italy, but we're not sure".
I personaly don't like NASCAR "racing", but what makes me really hate it is the media over-saturation juggernaught aspects of it. IF it wasn't taking over the entire public perception of motor racing in the US, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
This take over of the one haven for road-racing fans in the US is now going to be ruined by yet more NASCAR coverage! AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!! MAKE IT STOP! I WANT BERNIE VISION!
OK Ill go and lie down somewhere now.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm a big fan of racing, but Nascar is one of the few I don't enjoy. I really like Speedvision the way it is now, and I just hope that it doesn't become the Nascar channel.
-Dan
would rather watch lawnmower racing on Speedvision than Nascar

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Here is a petition that I found. It may have little to no effect but what the heck.
http://www.petitiononline.com/svsn/petition.html
------------------
Dear Tick: What would you do if bees took over the world?
Egad, Hogarth! When the bees implement their worldwide Fascist regime, I will be the first to go down into the honey mines. I will be the first to carry their squirming larvae in my teeth, to smear royal jelly on their chosen queen. And why? Good heavens! On account of the stinging!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I am a big fan of Nascar (Winston Cup and Busch). I attend a couple of races each year and watch all the television broadcasts, including qualifying and and happy hour practice.
But I also enjoy CART (no real taste for IRL or the trucks), and occasionally watch F1 (usually tape delay--West Coast live coverage is about 0430 hours). I also like to watch European Rally racing when I stumble upon it. The latter two are covered well by Speedvision. Ardent fans of these other motorsports have had a place that showcased their favorites.
While Nascar is my first love in racing, this prospective takeover to broaden Nascar coverage saddens me. Perhaps ESPN 2 will be able to pick up the slack. I know they wanted to do F1 this year.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I suggest we not let this turn into another NASCAR-bashing thread.
This whole thing does make me sick, however. A huge blow to diversity in racing coverage in the USA.
Fox (TV) sucks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Excuse me, NASCAR is the greatest sport on Earth, thank you very much! And I take offense to the term "redneck", are you saying that everyone who loves NASCAR is a redneck!? Give me a break!
------------------
No Soup For You!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
NASCAR is the greatest sport on Earth, thank you very much!
I try to defuse things before they heat up, it gets quiet, and then you throw in flame bait like that? Niiiiice.
Something can have merit and not be the 'greatest sport on earth'. Spouting hyperbole like that about anything is begging for a fight just as much as bashing something is.
rolleyes.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well o.k., maybe I got a little carried away there, but I tend to take offense when someone throws a whole group of people into one basket like calling someone who is a NASCAR fan a "redneck".
------------------
No Soup For You!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
John,
I agree with you. And I'm not even much of a NASCAR fan! More respect and consideration is what we need around here. Attacking something somebody likes is one thing (and can certainly be done in a more polite fashion sometime), but attacking the individual for his preferences (as an enthusiast or a participant) is lame.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well I never called anyone a redenck and I agree its silly to insult someone just for their poor taste in motorsports
wink.gif
(note previous was intended as a "joke")
My entire problem with all this is that NASCAR/Fox is going after ONLY real alternative to NASCAR/roundy-round dirt tracks etc. in the US.
Until Feb 2002 those of us who are passionate about motosports but don't like NASCAR have an alternative where we can see F1 etc. After that time SV will be the "NASCAR channel" (although they do admit that at first it might be "only" 12 hours a day of NASCAR)
Its the deliberate targeting of the one remaining outlet for the motorsports the other 95% of the planet watches that makes me angry.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks