What's new

Fox Connect Blu-ray Flash Sale: 70% Off 3D Titles (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to be honest, I have about 8 of those titles, but I've only viewed Predator and Prometheus blu-rays in their entirety. A few I've seen in the theater like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter which I thought the 3-D was quite good and Wolverine which wasn't as good.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Walking with Dinosaurs is more like the Disney dinos, right? I believe I read that. The original TV series was amazing, and I was disappointed that I believe it doesn't follow the same idea. :(

Epic, Life of Pi, I Robot... some good ones on there. Well...I've only seen I Robot and it's good. But the other LOOK goood... :p

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have Ice Age-Dawn of the Dinosaurs and it's a fun movie. I think the 3D is at least good. I have the iA-Continental Drift but haven't watched it yet. I love the 3D in Promethius. Also have Rio but haven't watched it at home. We enjoyed it in the theater. I also have I, Robot, and unlike many others on the forum I thought the converted 3D was at least decent, if not better.

These prices are good, but I only see three titles that I even have a passing interest in: Epic, Wolverine, and Walking with Dinosaurs. If I recollect correctly, Wolverine received poor revues and didn't do that will in the theaters. Same with Epic. Dinosaurs has talking dinosaurs but I've heard that can be turned off. Can anyone comment on that?

It's frustrating to see 3D movies selling for $12 and to have so little interest in the available movies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wolverine is rubbish in 3D, i couldn't believe how flat many scenes look, i'll stick to the 2D extended cut for future showings.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Johnny Angell said:
It's frustrating to see 3D movies selling for $12 and to have so little interest in the available movies.
Boy, ain't that the truth!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Johnny Angell said:
... Dinosaurs has talking dinosaurs but I've heard that can be turned off. Can anyone comment on that?

Now that might be good... and if the story is as epic as it felt on that TV show. I still need to watch that through again. Wonderful stuff... hoping that new film isn't dumbed down kids stuff.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Radioman970 said:
Now that might be good... and if the story is as epic as it felt on that TV show. I still need to watch that through again. Wonderful stuff... hoping that new film isn't dumbed down kids stuff.
Apparently it was really good and then someone decided at the last moment to add voices to the dinosaurs and the dialogue is terrible, i think i read it was dumbed down dialogue featuring poop jokes and all that sort of stuff, the trailers all showed a dinosaurs head coming out of the screen, if it doesn't have pop out then that's false advertising.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hate to say it, but outside of Avatar and Life of Pi, most of the Fox 3D offerings are....subpar.

Can't say Fox has the best 3D catalog. Hope they have better stuff coming.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I hate to say it, but outside of Avatar and Life of Pi, most of the Fox 3D offerings are....subpar.

Can't say Fox has the best 3D catalog. Hope they have better stuff coming.
I have heard good things about Rio, keep meaning to pick it up.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd recommend Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. I thought the 3D looked pretty good at the theater.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FoxyMulder said:
Apparently it was really good and then someone decided at the last moment to add voices to the dinosaurs and the dialogue is terrible, i think i read it was dumbed down dialogue featuring poop jokes and all that sort of stuff, the trailers all showed a dinosaurs head coming out of the screen, if it doesn't have pop out then that's false advertising.
The original WwD really got to me on an emotional level I hadn't expected. I absolutely remember hearing about the really good idea of the theatrical film... got very excited. But poop jokes now...? Complete waste of an opportunity. damndamndamn! I won't waste my time. I only have the old WwD on DVD, I'll concentrate on collecting the rest of that series instead. I taped Allusaurus and it was amazing too. Seems like I saw one about water creatures... or was that WwD? dang it's been too long.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Radioman970 said:
The original WwD really got to me on an emotional level I hadn't expected. I absolutely remember hearing about the really good idea of the theatrical film... got very excited. But poop jokes now...? Complete waste of an opportunity. damndamndamn! I won't waste my time. I only have the old WwD on DVD, I'll concentrate on collecting the rest of that series instead. I taped Allusaurus and it was amazing too. Seems like I saw one about water creatures... or was that WwD? dang it's been too long.
Heres a review of it. I think this could have been a good movie but for the last minute decision to add voices to the dinosaurs.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=138427

Barely a moment passes where neither Justin Long nor John Leguizamo lamely quip or make a poo joke or pointlessly narrate events that a three-year-old could have followed in a direlogue-free cut. Note to the film-makers: children are smarter than you evidently think.

An object lesson in how one awful creative decision (sassy voiceovers, flavourless pop tunes) can wreck a movie that might otherwise have been watchable. Wait for the Blu-ray and watch it with the sound off.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I remember seeing a trailer on TV and it a a tag line (with munch paraphrasing) "WwD is Avatar for your kids." I can't remember if they used Avatar, it might have been another movie. That made it VERY clear what audience they were aiming at.

What idiots. Say dinosaur and you've got the attention of 99% of all the kids (at least the boys) out there anyway. Why have photo-realistic dinosaurs, which I assume were well-researched, and than add voices? What were they thinking? I hope the guy who made that decision got fired.

When I was a kid, dinosaurs didn't talk.

Anyway, no one knows if the talking can be turned off?

If I remember correctly you have to spend $25 to get free shipping, and there's only WwD that interests me (if I can gag the dines.)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did a little search and found this on Wikipedia:
The Blu-ray disc for Walking with Dinosaurs features bonus content including a "Cretaceous Cut" of the film that omits the voiceovers.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
Did a little search and found this on Wikipedia:
I hope that's in HD with 7.1 lossless ( or 5.1 if that's all they have ) audio and on the 3D edition of the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FoxyMulder said:
I hope that's in HD with 7.1 lossless ( or 5.1 if that's all they have ) audio and on the 3D edition of the film.
I don't personally own it, but a couple Amazon user reviews and other quick googling suggests that it's 2D only for the no-talking version... bummer.

edit: and then different internet reviews say different things. wonder if anyone here actually owns this and could say (or in the absence of that, maybe a back cover scan)?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 3D on "Wolverine" is ehh... but I think $11.99 is a good price for that set, it's not quite Prometheus bonus feature level, but you do get the extended version of the film (in 2D, but only offered in the 3D set), and some decent bonus features, the commentary on the extended version is nice.

If you're looking to watch it solely for 3D, it's probably not worth it, but if you enjoy the occasional X-Men movie, this is the best of the various SKUs to pick up for this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks