What's new

Fox classics. com gone !! (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It's kind of like certain sections of audiophilia: some people reach a point where the hobby form them is the latest hardware rather than the content of the software (i.e the films).

I'm not saying that is wrong, but I own a very modest home theatre set up, but 1500 DVDs (and 2 Blu-rays!) whereas others like spending most of their money on the latest and greatest playback equipment.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Yes it was grand, all those lovely Studio Classics (& that three disc "Cleopatra"), but it looks like Fox is now run by the dead hand of accounts (never a good thing in the long run). So that big box set that I'd like; Fox:The CinemaScope Years, a big box of about 20 unreleased cinemascope films, will just stay a nice idea.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Yeah, that's what I find so worrisome - the plateauing and decline of DVD sales even before the economy went in the dumpster. The average DVD buyer I know (in my family and in my office) moved to netflix awhile ago. They just don't buy as many DVDs anymore. They say they own "too many as it is" and there's "no time to watch them anyway." :eek: The bloom is off the rose for the average buyer, and I'm not sure we'll ever see a resurgence. I hope so, but...

Anyway, I have a terrific collection (over 2,000) and looking better than they ever have, so I can't complain, even if the flow dribbles and (possibly) stops altogether. I'll be disappointed, but I can't complain. Especially with Fox and Warners. They really hit their classics out of the ballpark while they were at it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
there are still many millions of SDVD players out there that need feeding-and putting out just the new stuff just wont cut it-some titles which will be years before they come to BR
(if at all) they will just to have to settle for total annual net of $1 Billion profits instead of $1.1 billion

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm buying a lot of titles that I never got around to buying a few years ago (well, there were so many discs released). In England they're dirt cheap right now; mostly under £4. Yesterday I bought 2 fox, 1 Warner & 1 Paramount, four 40's 50's & 60's classics for under £15! Usually they get this cheap before they get deleted, & deleted discs get very scarce very quick. Oh the good days have gone!

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Sadly, that's completely untrue. The top twenty titles at any given time make up the vast majority of DVD sales.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have yet to see anyone from Fox chiming in on these issues. There was a day that studio people would read and participate in these threads to offer some sort of answer if not optimism. Or even the chats. Where have they disappeared to?

I am still working with SDVD and not interested in Blue Ray until prices come down as cheap as SDVD - both players and discs. I also still rather buy than rent.

Eric

Pete York

Supporting Actor
If I remember, there was a rather significant blood-letting at Fox Home Entertainment earlier this year, including people who were friendly to this forum. My guess is Fox's 'stasis' is related to that.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Didn't they drop FOX CLASSICS ages ago, and shifted over to CINEMA CLASSICS line.....
I know at one time "ALL ABOUT EVE" was a FOX CLASSICS, and it morphed into a CINEMA CLASSICS set under the FOX banner ??
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Are the Cinema Classics dead as well ??
Thanks

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John

Yes, but there's also a PR standpoint. Having that site was a sign that Fox wanted to maintain a relationship with the classic movie fan. Apparently, such PR is no longer important for them. Also, that PR is something of a luxury, and perhaps they can no longer afford it in these financially rough times; the economy has forced them to move their focus elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks