What's new

Fox clamping down on DVDCoverArt.com (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
They should make the scans available for a small fee to the studio...similar to what some Napster type sites started doing with the record companies consent. Not that I expect this to happen.

I can't help but wonder if the fact that DVDCoverArt.com now charges for downloads had anything to do with Fox coming down on them. Of course, even if it was still free I still think it would be copyright infringement. But charging money will probably attract more attention from the studios than if it were free, since somebody (theoretically) could be making money off the whole process.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
And just one final note on the money issue .. it's entirely irrelevent. In the Fox letter it was stated that they didn't want items available for free download, so perhaps they liked the credits
Just because Fox didn't mention in their letter, it doesn't make it irrelevant by any means. If this situation were ever to somehow end up in litigation, I can guarantee you that the fact that DVDCA charges money would be raised as a relevant factor (specifically, the "character of the use" element in their rebuttal of a Fair Use defense). It is relevant, period.

DJ

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I love DVDCA and recently started to use them and even started learning how to use Photo-shop and Freehand, so as to be able to start making some of my own custom covers. While it is depressing to find out that they have to remove the Fox covers, I can understand Fox's point of view on this.

From what was posted over at dvdcoverart, It seems to me that Fox have been very courteous in their handling of the situation. They probably could have easily had the site shut down, or sicked their lawyers onto DVDCA (Which is how many corperations would deal with the matter), Instead they have e-mailed the site owner directly and requested that covers for "20th Century Fox" films be removed from the site.

I don't know if there is any ongoing dialog between dvdca and Fox at this point, But I am a bit surprised that the covers for the Fox films still remain on the site 5 days later. I would hate to see the whole site shut down over this :frowning:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is all about Buffy, me thinks. A search of Buff and cover art on google turns up a Buffy DVD cover art site with a message saying they got a letter. So chances are this is much ado about buffy'ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks