Fox clamping down on DVDCoverArt.com

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Wesley, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    It appears that one of the studios isn't liking the whole "get your own cover art" concept. Matt posted this over at his site today:

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

You can kinda see their point: people are infringing on their copyrighted products. It's a question of integrity.

Gordy

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    We agree with Gordon.

As a result of this, we too have removed our
    Cover Art area.

5. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Who do they think is being hurt by this? Do they think that people are using this coverart for bootlegs? Most people are using this resource to replace coverart that they don't like or in order to help them store a limited edition case. In other words most people are already their customers.

I don't get it. I've never used this website but I've thought about it on several occasions and I find this corporate mentality absolutely maddening.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This sounds similar to the whole Radiohead incident a few months ago, where the record company demanded that all lyrics and tablature be removed from websites. Several of the websites organized a massive boycott and the band also found out about it and offered their support. Within days the studio removed the threats.

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I figured that it was only a matter of time. I think they got so big that they were no longer flying under the radar

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Well, I think its a big bummer! I'm waiting for the other shoes to drop.

All my custom made covers serve a purpose. Whether it's combining various editions for one package, saving shelf space or just offering alternatives that are not as boring as all get out. I would imagine bootleggers would want to copy the original artwork to fool people into thinking they are geting the real deal.

In all honesty, I would say that these covers are only used by folks who share a love of DVDs and also spend alot of money on them.

Making my own covers has been a fun and creative hobby, and I hope it does not mean this is the beginning of the end.

Ric

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Fortunately, Fox's official cover art is pretty good already. So this is not much of a loss - particularly since Fox doesn't seem to make many films.

That their films continues to generate lots of enthusiasm from talented artists who wanted to make their own custom covers - despite their official covers being good to begin with - is testament to Fox's tendency to make blockbuster films -- blockbuster types of films/series (Star Wars, Die Hard, X-Files, Buffy, 24) that are intended to create the very fan bases that Fox's lawyers then try to dissolve.

It's kind of funny the way that they create the fanbase and then their lawyers get paid to dissolve the fanbase by trying to limit how fans can express their interest. It is kind of tough to sustain an interest in something if you aren't allowed to express the interest creatively. Fox would let fan interest wither and die in between the films. An interesting tactic, but not an especially enlightened one.

Hopefully some of the studio folks who read this forum will learn what their legal department did and ask them to kindly ignore dvdcoverart.com.

11. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Fox has been doing this to fan sites of Buffy, X-Files, Kingf of the Hill, Simpsons, you name it. Why, I don't know. I don't see how it is financially beneficial to them in the least. I could see them equating cover art sites as a means for bootleggers to have professional looking covers for their wares, but shutting down fans sites is ludicrous.

I wish a rep from Fox could explain why exactly they have this practice in place.

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

14. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Not as big a loss as when the made that Buffy script site shut down, even though they only posted scripts that had not been made commercially available for fans. Fox has every right to protect their copyrights, but they should acknowledge that things like this are only done in celebration of these Fox shows. Their lawyers have become notorious for stuff like this though, so it's not a surprise.

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

As long as Paramount, Universal, Buena Vista and any other distributors that use bilingual packaging up here don't start doing this, I don't mind all that much.

16. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Well as much as I enjoy fan enthusiasm and the resource the DVDCoverArt.com represents, considering that you have to buy credits to download the art it makes legal sense to close it down.

This is completely different from a Buffy or Simpsons fan site. Fox probably sees this as a third-party profiting from their intellectual property and trademarks (and yes I know, understand, and appreciate that DVDCoverArt.com needs to charge to cover the upfront costs of running the site, but it still doesn't change the situation)

18. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm thinking that it had more to do with the fact that Matt was selling credits to download the art.
    Before the flames start, I totally appreciate that the bandwidth for that type of site isn't cheap and some sort of income was needed. I'm just making an observation.
    *EDIT* weird, I didn't even see Adam's post.

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I just wish the studios would get together and sell their rental slicks to the general public. Every single major studio title made has a rental slick made for it. It would be so easy to just use DVDCoverArt.com as distro point

20. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Fox... [CRUDE AND INAPPROPRIATE ICON REMOVED BY ADMIN]

I will continue to buy your products like always, but as long as YOU continue to make shitty art for stuff like Daredevil, I will print off fan made art that you will not see a dime for.