What's new

Fox Catalog DVD's (From New Label - Twilight Time) (1 Viewer)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Roger Cee said:
My point is this... WB is the biggest and they release 300-400 catalog films per year (that's about 30 per month. Sony releases 12 per month, Universal thru Amazon about 30 per quarter (which is about 7-8 per month), MGM releases about 25 per month. Paramount (thru Olive releases usually 2 or more per month). Even taking into consideration WB owns their own films and Twilight Time does not, Fox, which is the 2nd biggest studio, is only worthy of 1 catalog title per month? That's ridiculous. There should be at least 2 per month.
You do realize that Twilight Time is for the most part a two-man operation and not a gigantic corporation like Warners or Sony...
Mike S.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Nebiroth said:
BluRay's copy protection system is dynamic - that means that every now and then, the protection on new issue discs gets updated. So the players have to be updated otherwise, potentially at least, if you buy discs they won't play.
Also, they use Java for things like the menus and stuff, and that gets updated too.
It's like the annoyance you get with PC's - "you need Java/Flash vxxx to play this content - please get the latest version"
Not updating just means you can only be sure of discs you could already play - anything you buy new might not.
I agree about the leap in quality. However, it;s true to say that if you have a really big screen, you'll appreciate Blu more because big screens tend to highlight the relatively low resolution of standard def.
Oh and of course, the constant updates allow the studios to engage in a stupid war with people who want to defeat the absurdity that if Region Coding. You;d have though they learnt the lesson with DVD, that Region Coding is counterproductive (it loses studios sales - the trade in the restof the world buying r1 discs is extensive) and the idea behind it (that theatres would lose trade because people outside of the US would buy the latest Hollywood blockbuster on DVD from the States before they local theatre was showing it) is absurdly out of date, since theatre releases are hardly staggered at all now. Unlike the old days, when it might be months before here in the UK we saw movies in theatres. Mostly because they had to be sent over as reels of film in steel boxes onboard an airplane.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Thankfuly a lot of studios don;t even bother region coding their discs, so they did get theidea, after bullying manufacturers etc to include it in the BD standards....sigh
When you state that you have to update your Blu-Ray player and Java , Does that cost or is it a free update ?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Roger Cee /t/306804/fox-catalog-dvds-from-new-label-twilight-time/390#post_3875798
My point is this... WB is the biggest and they release 300-400 catalog films per year (that's about 30 per month. Sony releases 12 per month, Universal thru Amazon about 30 per quarter (which is about 7-8 per month), MGM releases about 25 per month. Paramount (thru Olive releases usually 2 or more per month). Even taking into consideration WB owns their own films and Twilight Time does not, Fox, which is the 2nd biggest studio, is only worthy of 1 catalog title per month? That's ridiculous. There should be at least 2 per month.
Roger - Fox also has a deal with Shout! Factory and they released several titles this year including Damnation Alley and Lucky Lady, two titles I thought would never see the light of DVD. The agreement is for some more titles in 2012. Fox seems to be a little reluctant with their library and I had hoped they would jump on the MOD bandwagon when MGM went that down that road.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
borisfw said:
When you state that you have to update your Blu-Ray player and Java , Does that cost or is it a free update ?
There's no cost to updating, but there may be an inconvenience factor. If your machine isn't somehow connected to the internet then you have to burn a disc, load the update, etc.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
mdnitoil said:
There's no cost to updating, but there may be an inconvenience factor. If your machine isn't somehow connected to the internet then you have to burn a disc, load the update, etc.
That's not too bad . Thanks for the response .

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
cadavra said:
You do realize that Twilight Time is for the most part a two-man operation and not a gigantic corporation like Warners or Sony...
Mike S.
Of course I'm aware of that. Olive is able to pump out 2-3 Paramount titles per month, and since the majority of the Fox titles are more well known than the majority of the Paramounts, I think TT should do 2 or more per month. Let's say there's a TT Fox title you want. At 1 per month you could be waiting 7-8 years which is ridiculous!

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
ahollis said:

Roger - Fox also has a deal with Shout! Factory and they released several titles this year including Damnation Alley and Lucky Lady, two titles I thought would never see the light of DVD.  The agreement is for some more titles in 2012.  Fox seems to be a little reluctant with their library and I had hoped they would jump on the MOD bandwagon when MGM went that down that road. 

Allen, I already bought all the Shout Factory Fox single and double-features. Twilight Time claims to have 100 Fox titles to be released. So far about 10 have. Like I said, at this rate of 1 per month, it could be 7-8 years for the few (which I know they have) to come out.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
ahollis said:

Roger - Fox also has a deal with Shout! Factory and they released several titles this year including Damnation Alley and Lucky Lady, two titles I thought would never see the light of DVD.  The agreement is for some more titles in 2012.  Fox seems to be a little reluctant with their library and I had hoped they would jump on the MOD bandwagon when MGM went that down that road. 

Allen, I already bought all the Shout Factory Fox single and double-features. Twilight Time claims to have 100 Fox titles to be released. So far about 10 have. Like I said, at this rate of 1 per month, it could be 7-8 years for the few I want (which I know they have) to come out.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Roger Cee said:
Allen, I already bought all the Shout Factory Fox single and double-features. Twilight Time claims to have 100 Fox titles to be released. So far about 10 have. Like I said, at this rate of 1 per month, it could be 7-8 years for the few I want (which I know they have) to come out.
Roger, give these guys a chance to work out any kinks in the process and assess the market for these films. I would expect that they will eventually have a pace similar to that of Intrada. It strikes me that the Twilight Time releases are a little separate from some of the other video labels in that they are printing up booklets with specially commissioned articles / essays and including other features like isolated scores.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Roger Cee /t/306804/fox-catalog-dvds-from-new-label-twilight-time/420#post_3876286
Allen, I already bought all the Shout Factory Fox single and double-features. Twilight Time claims to have 100 Fox titles to be released. So far about 10 have. Like I said, at this rate of 1 per month, it could be 7-8 years for the few (which I know they have) to come out.
At least they are coming. Only last year Twilight Time was not around and we had no hope of any titles coming out. Also Twilight Time has said they intend to pump up the number of titles released per month. I am anxious to read the interview with the two guys behind Twilight Time that will be posted on the HTF soon.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Jon Hertzberg said:
Roger, give these guys a chance to work out any kinks in the process and assess the market for these films. I would expect that they will eventually have a pace similar to that of Intrada. It strikes me that the Twilight Time releases are a little separate from some of the other video labels in that they are printing up booklets with specially commissioned articles / essays and including other features like isolated scores.
Allen, I was just a bit frustrated that the ones I want haven't happened yet. I'll lay low on this now.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Jon Hertzberg said:
Jon, I was just a bit frustrated that the ones I want haven't happened yet. I'll lay low on this now.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Jon Hertzberg said:
Huh...? Really, all Fox has to do is outsource to (or pool with, depending on your view) their MOD program to Warner Archive, like Sony/Columbia wisely has done. Even if the Twilight Time program isn't MOD, they should consider this. Better an MOD than a no-show. WB seems to have figured it out OK. MGM seems to have done an OK job too (although many of their titles, like many from WB's MOD program, have aired on TCM). Hard to see after all this time what "kinks" any other distributor would need to work out.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Camps said:
Huh...? Really, all Fox has to do is outsource to (or pool with, depending on your view) their MOD program to Warner Archive, like Sony/Columbia wisely has done. Even if the Twilight Time program isn't MOD, they should consider this. Better an MOD than a no-show. WB seems to have figured it out OK. MGM seems to have done an OK job too (although many of their titles, like many from WB's MOD program, have aired on TCM). Hard to see after all this time what "kinks" any other distributor would need to work out.
Hey...I agree that Fox should jump on the MOD bandwagon already. We're talking about Twilight Time, however, and what they are doing is not the same thing. They are putting a lot more effort into these releases as has been mentioned here already. Twilight Time is giving these discs isolated scores, booklets, and their releases are PRESSED discs, NOT burned media.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I look forward to hearing about their future plans regarding format. I faithfully purchased every release from them and will be more than happy to continue when the DVDs come back. :)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
mdnitoil said:
I look forward to hearing about their future plans regarding format. I faithfully purchased every release from them and will be more than happy to continue when the DVDs come back. :)
Same here . :confused:

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I know it's said they have about 100 titles, but here is my top 25 most wanted:
East Lynne (1931)
State Fair (1933)
The White Parade (1934)
The House of Rothschild (1934)
The Road to Glory (1936)
Stanley and Livingstone (1939)
Western Union (1941)
The Pied Piper (1942)
Tales of Manhattan (1942)
Wilson (1944)
The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend (1949)
American Guerrilla in the Philippines (1950)
No Highway in the Sky (1951)
Five Fingers (1952)
Deadline - U.S.A. (1952)
Inferno (1953)
King of the Khyber Rifles (1953)
Woman's World (1954)
The Deep Blue Sea (1955)
Untamed (1955)
A Hatful of Rain (1957)
Sons and Lovers (1960)
The Stripper (1963)
The Incident (1967)
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I wish Twilight Time would put out the final two Mr. Belvedere films with Clifton Webb. If Fox won't do it, then maybe Twilight Time can.

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
Adam Gregorich said:
Well which is it?  Twilight Time reads this thread.....;)

Although I respect the old classics, I don't collect most of them because they're before my time. I want CHE! (out practically everywhere except the USA), THE INCIDENT (doesn't everybody?), SHOCK TREATMENT with L.Bacall,S.Whitman, Carol Lynley, R.McDowall, HARD CONTRACT, JUSTINE, JOANNA and the oldie BLUE DENIM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks