What's new

Fox 75th Anniversary Giftset & STAR WARS (1 Viewer)

Mark Butler

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I understand it Fox owns the first Star Wars. Does anyone think that perhaps they would release the original film in this set and not the special edition? Thoughts?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Don't hold your breath. If, by some chance, they DO include the original theatrical version, it would probably be the same non-anamorphic transfer that was included in the Limited Editions.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Actually, I think Lucasfilm now owns the rights to the first Star Wars; it was part of the deal for Fox being able to distribute the prequel trilogy. I think I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Lucas owns all six Star Wars films. They are his to do with whatever he wants and release whatever he wants.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I though Lucas got the rights to the film when he made it back in 1977. I seem to recall that he got all the rights to merchandising and other profitable ventures from the film... I thought he also got the film rights, too.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by battlebeast

I though Lucas got the rights to the film when he made it back in 1977. I seem to recall that he got all the rights to merchandising and other profitable ventures from the film... I thought he also got the film rights, too.

As I understand it (and again, I may be wrong), 20th Century Fox still owned the original Star Wars (the film itself, not all the merchandising) since they financed its production costs. Empire, Jedi, and the prequel trilogy were all financed by Lucasfilm; Fox just had distribution rights. Like I said, though, I think Lucasfilm acquired full ownership of the original as part of the agreement with Fox to distribute the prequels.

As a side note, it's interesting that in their listing, they refer to the film as Star Wars, rather than Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Also, I wonder which version of The Last of the Mohicans will be in there, since the "Director's Definitive Cut" was just released.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck

As I understand it (and again, I may be wrong), 20th Century Fox still owned the original Star Wars (the film itself, not all the merchandising) since they financed its production costs.

You may be right.

I would hope they would release the original version, as that was the film that was nominated and captured the public's imagination.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Bryan is correct. Lucas gained ownership and control of Star Wars (or Episode 4 : A New Hope for the revisionists ) as part of the deal giving Fox the distribution rights to the prequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks