What's new

Forrest Gump, the Novel and the Moive (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, if you've read the novel out there, I have a question. When was this novel written? The info I've found is that the novel "Forrest Gump" was written by Winston Groom in 1994. That has to be a reprint, correct? It seems impossible for the novel to be released, the screenplay written, and then the movie to be released all in the same year.
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, now I'm really confused. I am listening to Wendy Finerman's commentary and she said that FG was in production for nine years. What?
Anybody got a time line on FG?
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

RicP

Screenwriter
The 1994 version is a movie-tie-in reprint.
The book was copyrighted in 1986.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The book was also much better, contained a LOT better scenes, and didn't contain the "If you're a woman, stick to the status quo or you'll get AIDS and die" message
Jeff Kleist

Heath L

Grip
******Spoilers*******
I didn't get that message at all Jeff. In fact, I perceived it as her getting AIDS from sharing needles while doing drugs. The movie portrayed her as more of a "druggie" than being terribly permiscuous.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The movie is so squeaky and saccarine it makes me puke. At least in the book he's human
Jeff Kleist

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
The movie lost it after Viet Nam compared to the book. In the movie, in DC, the joke is that you can't hear what Forrest is saying. In the book he says one simple, but pointed and effective line. If that's not sugar-coated, I don't know what is.
I know books often have to be changed for movies, but the theme and tone should never be changed. In the Firm, instead of having the chase go on and on they manufactured an ending, but Mitch still got his life back, his brother got away, and the FBI was screwed. The tone was the same. In Gump they took an absurd, hilarious, biting satire and totally ruined it.
Spoiler: In the book, Forrest knew he wouldn't make a good dad and left JR. with Jenny. In the movie Jenny dies of aids (?)
And what was with the whole running across the USA thing? It wasn't funny, or realistic, even within the context of the film, and didn't fit thematically or structurally with the rest of the movie or the novel.
The book was one of the funniest books I've ever read. And the whole reason I read the book was because the first half of FG was one of the best movies I've ever seen and the 2nd half was the worst. I was so confused and disappointed that I decided to read the book. So at least something decent came from the movie.
One quick question, during the seventies, when Jenny is about to jumpo off the ledge, there is a close up shot of a platform shoe that always stood out to me. Was that a subtle attempt to distract from the seriousness of the situation, or was just one of those so bad it's actually funny moments?
I know a lot of people love this movie, and I didn't want to start a bashing thread, but since someone mentioned the novel I figured I'd chime in.
------------------
"Wow, what a dramatic airport!"

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just like to throw in a quick vote FOR Forrest Gump (the movie).
I think it's a wonderful movie, and I'm one of the most cynical bastards I know.
I would agree however that the whole "running bit" should have been cut. Would have made a great 'deleted scene', but I also think it drags the third act to a halt.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks