former nba player jayson williams shot someone by accident

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyD, Feb 16, 2002.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

And no matter what he did, he shouldn't have pointed it at someone, which he obviously must have done (if he was indeed the one firing the gun). What an idiot, I hope they put him in jail. I've had it with all these accidental deaths due to morons who shouldn't own a gun in the first place.

/Mike

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I have a feeling there is more to this. Williams originally claimed it was a suicide; only after the coroner classified it as "suspicious" did Williams change his story.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wow, that's horrible!

Strangely, I don't follow basketball at all, and recently I saw some TV show that featured Williams. It was one of those MTV shows that basically shows how athletes waste their money on stupid shit... and it showed Williams along side all these other guys. Everyone was showing off their Rolls Royces and Closets the size of my house; Williams showed off his "pride and joy" Mack dump truck and his skeet range.

Again, not being a B-ball fan I had never heard of Williams- but from the few interviews I've downloaded (and that MTV show)- he seemed like a hell of a nice guy, and very very genuine. He did have a soft spot for guns, and it sounds like he maybe didn't treat them with the respect necessary.

Seriously, this is really odd for me as I was just talking about Williams last night with a friend (even talking about his skeet range shown on MTV): saying how he was one of the cooler people I'd seen on those MTV money exploitation shows-- and seemed like a guy I'd like to hang with. Heck, I didn't even remember his name- just was struck at how he seemed like a down to earth dude along side these players with 400 pairs of shoes...

From what I had read he was even a net geek like the rest of us, and was known to hang on some forums related to dump truck clubs.

-Vince

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I am a big basketball fan and I have the same impression of Jayson Williams as you. He is a nice guy (a little high strung, but nice). He was an excellent basketball player before his body started giving up on him. If he was responsible, I sincerely hope it was an accident.

Jon

6. Brian Perry

Williams' lawyer is now saying that his client did not handle the gun in question, either purposefully or recklessly. In other words, it must have been one of the other guests (there were 10 or 12 people in the house at the time). My question is this: since suicide was ruled out by the coroner, can the prosecutor charge everyone present with homicide so that someone will turn in the person responsible? It sounds as though everyone is going to deny any responsibility for the act, even if it was potentially an accident. I'd hate to see an Enron-like case in which something terrible happened and no one accepted any of the blame.

7. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Didn't Williams almost kill Chrebet of the Jets one
    time with a gun and just missing him? I'll do a search
    for an article on this.
    EDIT: Found the article story

8. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I've heard on the radio today that it's now been clasified as a homicide.

9. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Not looking good for Jayson.
    [​IMG]

11. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I'm an expensive lawyer, and I wouldn't want his case. An article said he was "twirling the shotgun like a baton". I cannot imagine handling any of my guns that way.

13. Brian Perry

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm amazed that he would "twirl" a shotgun around like that! Guns are leathal weapons and should always be treated as such, even if you are 100% certain that it is not loaded, you should always treat it as if it is, other wise stupid shit like this happens.

15. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

16. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

From CNN:

Former NBA player Jayson Williams was indicted on manslaughter charges Wednesday [TODAY] in the shooting death of a limousine driver at his estate.

Williams also was indicted on a series of other charges including aggravated assault and witness and evidence tampering. He could face more than 24 years in prison, and remains free on $270,000 bail.

18. Brian Perry

I predict that he will argue that he did kill Christofi accidentally but that he is not responsible for the ensuing coverup (which eliminated any chance of the poor guy surviving) because his judgment was impaired by alcohol.

I really don't see any other scenario. He pulled the trigger and covered it up in front of witnesses. What more can there be?

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

He's got enough money that he'll get away with a slap on the hand. Of course, there'll inevitably be a multi-million dollar civil case following it.

20. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I think he'll see some jail time--maybe in a plea bargain.