What's new

Forget about "seat-kicking" and this vid explains my theatrical experience... (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
also, add the fact that even when people put their phone on silent, about 99% of the time I see people in my field of view checking their phone to see if they have any messages. How annoying is it to see the screens of phones turn on in front of you during a movie? In a theater with 75' screens, a couple who was down on the flat watching the movie, looking at their sidekicks, kept opening them the entire movie (OMG even once during a movie is too much). About 30min into the movie, I told my friend watching the movie with me that I bet I could hit them with a penny. I then threw a penny and must've hit them because they were the only two people to turn around. As immature as it is, it felt good to do.

People with phones basically suck in theaters. I turn my phone on silent and even make sure vibration is off so I don't disrupt the theater. If there is something important enough going on that I need to have my phone with me, I wont be sitting in a theater.

*EDIT* and nearly two weeks later, here is the video link.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I feel like I just walked in on the middle of a movie. Speaking of which, that can be a theatrical annoyance, too.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This is why I rarely go to the movie theaters anymore. People may not be talking, but those damn screens annoy the crap out of me. The first time I saw this happen was at the midnight premiere of Return of the King. A friend of a friend was sitting next to me and during the movie, he took out his phone a couple times to check his texts or e-mail. :angry:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I always have to laugh when people bring up the "disturbances" in movie theaters. I've been going to the movies regularly for over 40 years and I have yet to experience all these supposed interruptions and inconveniences. Or more precisely, I know it's happened at times in the past... but so few that I cannot even recall one example to share here. I will admit I have seen the phone screens light up here and there lately, though... you can imagine how extra-perturbed I get at that when considering I don't even own a cell phone yet! Since when did we get to the point where people have to check their messages every minute??

Now, if you want to discuss interruptions when watching films for a Movie Night IN MY OWN HOME, well I've got a million of those! I had a marathon last year of five films with two of my friends, and one guy sat there with his cell phone, text messaging his girlfriend (he'll be marrying her this month) throughout the entire day!.

The bottom line is, at least in public theaters people are somewhat aware that they have to consider other people (like reading in a library) ... but while movie fans always say "that's it for me! From now on I'm only watching films at home!!" the truth is, you'd better do it home ALONE... because people chat throughout the film at home, get up to go to the bathroom, go get things to eat, and there are always the sounds of outdoor disturbances like trucks or ambulances whizzing by. A few times I've been invited to my sister's home to watch movies... she's got three kids, and believe me, it's often impossible to hear or concentrate! From my own experiences, I've found a theater to be the proper and preferred way to enjoy a film by far.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm with Joe, I'm so fixated on what's happening on the screen that I don't notice most of what's been noted in this thread.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
People opening their phones to check messages or to text are hugely annoying. It's impossible for your eye not to be drawn to these little bright lights throughout the theater. It's almost always kids (teenagers, young adults) who seemingly have never been taught manners.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I'm envious of that sort of tunnel vision.
Reminds me of those who claim to not hear the bozos talking. You're surrounded by theater speakers, how in the world could you filter out the audience yappers?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
You lost my sympathy when you admitted to throwing a penny at people in the theater. That's when you clearly became one of "them". It's difficult to maintain the moral high ground when you throw things at strangers. Between the behaviors of looking at cell phone screens and throwing objects with intent to hit people, I'd choose a theater full of the former any day of the week.

Brad

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I haven an extremely low tolerance for talking or phone-ringing, and go to the theater much less than I used to for exactly that reason. However, people silently checking their phones for text-messages or whatever has never bothered me. As long as they're being quiet, I'm okay with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, all young people are evil. I've never seen a rude old person before. :) I generally go to matinees and I can honestly say that I've seen and heard alot more senior citizens who talk through the movie than the young.

I agree with Joe. I've had a few problems here and there but it's nothing that can't be handled by telling people to be quiet. You don't have to spout obscenities or freak out, just say something like "Could you please be quiet." And if you're not a confrontational person, move to another seat. No, you shouldn't have to move but if it's bothering you that much, it's better to move than listening to a conversation and missing the movie or being pissed off for 90 minutes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i don go to the movies much anymore because i dont need to.

I dont like any of the theaters near were i live so if i go I will travel a it to a theater that i know i can trust.
I trust that this theater won't have messed up sound and won't botch up the way it should be projected.

i still dont follow what "Forget about "seat-kicking" and this vid explains my theatrical experience...' means

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Where's the vid?

It wasn't nice of you to throw the penny at them.

Did you go see Meet the Spartans? I'm sure whatever was on their phone was better than what was on screen. :)

~T

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by the thread title description word association football. ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I've always been puzzled by these threads which sprout somewhere in HTF every other day (can we just have one official theater bitching thread?). My experience as a whole is nothing like that, I love theaters more than ever and at this point, I am more inclined to blame oversensitive HTFers than a consistently uncouth audience.

That said, for the first time in years, I have my own horror story to offer, one that is all the more bizarre since I ended up causing as much disruption, if not more than I intended to squelch.

A bunch of kids (about 10, aged 10-12ish) who apparently had come from a previous screening and were waiting in the hallway for some reason, took to opening the door to my theater, running up the side aisle inside, tussling and tripping over each other and running back out, with assorted noises. Very distracting stuff. After a few minutes of this, I dramatically got up from my center row seat (well, I am a big guy so when I get up it's always dramatic :D) , and proceeded to the exit. A couple of people, guessing where I was heading, started preemptively thanking me.

I got to the door, visibly annoyed and told the kids standing outside to tone it down. Most of them immediately hushed, but of course, one of the little punks had to mockingly mimic my admonition. Oh man... You see, I am from a culture where there is a very low tolerance for rudeness from children. I was already annoyed, but at the time I saw red. Livid, I violently knocked the doors fully open, pointed at the offending little fuck and literally roared the following gem:

"FUCK WITH ME AND I WILL TWIST YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF!!!"

The kids scattered in every direction -- with some giggles, I am sorry to say.

Evidently they weren't too impressed with my wrath; well after I returned to my seat, to the thanks of a few patrons (I know the whole theater must have heard me), I (we) had to endure a few more minutes of my Nemesis opening the door and yelling that immortal phrase before running away. To be honest, I wish I had stayed in my seat, I would have saved myself some mild embarrassment :)

--
H

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
good story Holadem.

there is a thread in movies somewere to review you theater.

actually it's sticked to the top of the movie forum.
might e a different topic though.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

This is the direction Holadem should have gone in, not throwing a penny AT them but perhaps just chunking a handful of change down the corridor. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks