What's new

Foreign Correspondent Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
battlebeast said:
But I do resent the fact that Criterion is so love-sick with Japanese Cinema... albeit Godzilla was amazing.
The label was built on the staples of Japanese, French and American cinema. Without the large presence of those three Criterion wouldn't exist.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Danny Burk said:
Thanks - good to know. I'm hoping that they'll eventually redo things like THREE VON STERNBERG SILENTS in blu, assuming that they can strike a deal with Paramount.
They've release 4 of the initial 13 Paramount titles on Blu, so it is safe to say that they went back and redid their initial deal with Paramount and they really wanted to release the 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg on Blu, so I suspect that it'll happen sometime.
battlebeast said:
. But I do resent the fact that Criterion is so love-sick with Japanese Cinema... albeit Godzilla was amazing.
Why, Japanese cinema of the 50s and 60s contains some of the greatest films of all time?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Brandon Conway said:
The label was built on the staples of Japanese, French and American cinema. Without the large presence of those three Criterion wouldn't exist.
Although I would LOVE to see one month where all Criterion announces are mainstream 30's/40's/50's American/Hollywood classics....if for nothing else to watch all the heads explode over at criterionforum.org!!! You'd have thought the world was ending last month when IAMMMMW was announced.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just announced as part of the February titles

696_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Derrick King said:
Why, Japanese cinema of the 50s and 60s contains some of the greatest films of all time?
Because Japanese Cinema is NOT my forte`. (Save for Godzilla).

I prefer Best Picture Nominees and American Hollywood classics.

Criterion, I could kiss you!

Not only did they Announce Nashville and IAMMMMW, but this month we get NOT ONE but TWO BEST PICTURE NOMINEES!

Foreign Correspondant and Tess!

I'm so happy I could cry!!!

Three months in a row, Criterion has made me jump for joy!

YAY!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
atfree said:
Although I would LOVE to see one month where all Criterion announces are mainstream 30's/40's/50's American/Hollywood classics....if for nothing else to watch all the heads explode over at criterionforum.org!!! You'd have thought the world was ending last month when IAMMMMW was announced.
AMEN!!! I would GLADLY pay money to see this!!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Moe Dickstein said:
So which Hitch will they do next?
What do they have rights? We can debate the quality of what's been released (i.e. The Masterpiece Collection), but really all that's left of his post-1940 work not on blu already are Suspicion, Jamaica Inn (actually 1939), The Paradine Case, The Wrong Man, Under Capricorn, Mr & Mrs Smith, and I Confess. Does Criterion have rights to any of those? Could they double-up and release Notorious or Spellbound (released on DVD by Criterion) even though blu's of those have already been released?I have no idea....but I'd buy any of them!

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Thanks for the headsup, Brandon!
And, in case they should happen by, thank you, Criterion!
This will make three of my favorites that Criterion has/will release recently:
Ministry Of Fear
The Uninvited
And now, Foreign Correspondent.
I'm a fan of Ray Milland, and I'd love to see a film he did, The Big Clock, on BD.
Anyone know if that's one that Criterion could release?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
atfree said:
What do they have rights? We can debate the quality of what's been released (i.e. The Masterpiece Collection), but really all that's left of his post-1940 work not on blu already are Suspicion, Jamaica Inn (actually 1939), The Paradine Case, The Wrong Man, Under Capricorn, Mr & Mrs Smith, and I Confess. Does Criterion have rights to any of those? Could they double-up and release Notorious or Spellbound (released on DVD by Criterion) even though blu's of those have already been released?I have no idea....but I'd buy any of them!
Warners has Suspicion, Wrong Man, Smith and I Confess (and Stage Fright). Selznick/ABC owns Notorious, Spellbound and Paradine Case (and they are out through MGM/Fox right now). Fox has Lifeboat which we need in the US on Blu. Jamaica Inn I believe has a Kino edition coming and Under Capricorn was last on DVD through Image and may be PD (as is Jamaica Inn)Why does it have to be post 1940? I expect the next one to be something like Young and Innocent, one of the British sound pictures they can get from ITV. What about Waltzes from Vienna which has never had a US Video release to my knowledge? I think that would be a great bonus feature for one of the more Hitchy titles.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Moe Dickstein said:
Warners has Suspicion, Wrong Man, Smith and I Confess (and Stage Fright). Selznick/ABC owns Notorious, Spellbound and Paradine Case (and they are out through MGM/Fox right now). Fox has Lifeboat which we need in the US on Blu. Jamaica Inn I believe has a Kino edition coming and Under Capricorn was last on DVD through Image and may be PD (as is Jamaica Inn)Why does it have to be post 1940? I expect the next one to be something like Young and Innocent, one of the British sound pictures they can get from ITV. What about Waltzes from Vienna which has never had a US Video release to my knowledge? I think that would be a great bonus feature for one of the more Hitchy titles.
Young and Innocent would be great but even Hitch called Waltzes From Vienna "the low ebb of my career". I wouldn't mind seeing The Lodger, Sabotage or Murder! from his early days on blu.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
So, if we count Downhill from Spain & FC from Criterion, we will have 27 of the 52 films Hitchcock directed (not counting the lost "Mountain Eagle") on blu-ray. There's 25 more films out there!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Young and Innocent would certainly get my vote for their next feasible Hitchcock release. (The Warner controlled ones would seem to be out of the question, and I can't believe Fox would gladly hand over Lifeboat.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks