Ford Thunderbird

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jack Gilvey, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Two questions for the assembled experts: What do you all think of the "new" Thunderbird? What can one buy one for?I've heard that it's not really selling well and one might get one appreciably lower than sticker.

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Ugly, underpowered and overpriced, not to mention that it was designed for munchkins[​IMG]
    you would be better off buying a corvette convertible or if money is a problem, a mustang convertible

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Ahh, thanks, no paucity of opinions, I see. [​IMG] Let's narrow the focus a bit and just say that I truly love the looks of this car (grew up riding in my dad's black '64, lots of good memories) and have no interest in Mustangs or other "sports" cars. Any input on pricing?

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yes, indeed, thank you. As helpful as that was, I was hoping for something a little more specific, like what they were actually selling for.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

There we go...thanks.

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Reports are that Ford will be discontinuing it next year.

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

While I personally wouldn't buy a new Thunderbird, it would be a perfect third car for some people. I'd expect at least $5000 off sticker.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

The Mustang is build on an old, dated platform (it dates back to the 80's). The T-Bird is based on the Lincoln LS platform. This is the same one the new 2005 Mustang will be built on.

I believe the newest T-Birds have around 280HP, which is more than the Mustang GT. That being said, the T-Bird is no sports car, but it's got good power, unique looks, and some exclusivity, unlike the Mustang which you see everywhere.

11. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

How about a Boxster? Classic styling, good power-to-weight ratio, unbelievable handling, and a great name behind it. You're in the same price range, or could even move up to a Boxster S if you want to go used.

12. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I have seen ads in the LA Times for new T-birds at $33K. They aren't selling well and last I heard they had A LOT of stock. You should be able to get one for substantially lower than sticker.

Happy hunting!

-Keith

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Ford will discontinue it and have no idea (as usual) why it was not selling, underpowered for the price range and what it is supposed to compete against, very small inside, does not resemble the original T-bird, if it did, it would sell like there was no tommorow

14. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I have seen the new T-Bird advertised in the NY Times for as low as $29.5K at dealers ... and this is for NEW ones, not used.

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

16. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Personally, I think it's a damn smart lookin' vehicle. My jaw hit the floor the first time I saw it. (It was sitting at an International Car Show, right next to a '60's model T-Bird.)

I do agree that it's overpriced though. Ford will be discontinuing it? That's too bad.

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I like it too. Not surprised that it's not selling well, the people who are going to buy it are also looking at BMW and Mercedes class cars, which the T-Bird just isn't at yet.

The new T-Bird was never meant to compete in the Mustang muscle-car arena, so comparing it to a mustang is pointless.

Ford does some strange stuff though. The T-Bird didn't sell well, so they're canceling it. But then they're coming out with a superhigh-end Mustang (better than the Cobra) that will be crazy expensive, and only people looking at porches and the like will consider. And of course they're not going to buy a Mustang.

That company makes some strange decisions sometimes.

19. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

20. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I agree that Ford needs to come out with the GT. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]