Ford at Fox Box Set $55 Shipped

Discussion in 'DVD' started by bigshot, May 1, 2014.

1. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
  2. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    This just arrived in the mail today... It's huge! Beautiful hardback book too. I hope other folks got in on this deal. The price must have barely covered shipping for this giant box!

3. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

They followed up a year or two later with the Murnau-Borzage box.This may be apocryphal - I think somebody here posted that when the Murnau-Borzage box tanked (in terms of sales), that was the final straw that led to Fox exiting the "catalog" side of pressed DVD releases.

4. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    This seems to be regularly selling at that price or near it now. I kept watching for a Foxconnect flash sale to come around again, but it never happened. I ordered it from Amazon yesterday for $56 shipped.

5. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    Well, for $200 its no wonder no one bought the darn thing with a bunch of esoteric 1920-30s films. Totally understandable.

6. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Understandable, yes, from the view that it was clearly a labor of love, and I guess they were wounded when the sales tanked.

But maybe not understandable form other viewpoints, such as the "public good" (I know, a "soft" argument) that would come from continuing to expose catalog films to the public through the release of pressed discs.

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    This set is currently available from Hamilton Book for $49.95 + shipping ($3.50 + $.40/item - there is *no* "free shipping" threshold - if you do a print/mail in order the $.40/item is waived).

Hamilton is a "closeout/remaindered" vendor dealing mainly in books but they have *some* media. I've been ordering from them the past few years. They have excellent customer service, but don't expect "modern" processes - no tracking on your shipment (comes USPS) but you *do* receive email at time of order and when it ships. They use heavy cardboard "boxes" (sheet of cardboard wrapped around your item(s) and stapled shut on both ends - I've *never* received a damaged item in this package).

8. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Murnau/Borzage box set is a treasure trove. So is the Ford at Fox collection. Both sets are priceless for film lovers. Of course, not everyone can afford them, but if you can get them for a bargain price, jump on the chance.

JoHud likes this.
  9. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    I bought the borzage set. It is indeed amazing. Just WAAAY OVER PRICED.

10. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    It actually sold well enough to get the Murnau/Borzage set out. No different that many other director-themed sets which are similarly "esoteric"

It not going OOP, that's more understandable. This wasn't meant to sell in droves considering how huch effort they put into the packaging, but large, expensive sets rarely sell out unless they are limited edition.

Lastly, remember that Ford at Fox was also split into 3 minisets which no doubt took diverted some potential customers from the big set.

11. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    I wish the Murnau/Borzage set would fall to a similar price. The lowest it's ever been on Amazon is $130. I want it but it's hard to justify such a price when 5 of the films are now on Blu-ray.

12. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Back when I bought Murnau/Borzage it was between $80 and $90

Also, in addition to what I mentioned earlier, I suspect these two boxed sets were intended to be "prestige" releases meaning that they were more intended to be strong collector PR and bring in only modest profits, something it seems that Ford at Fox succeeded in doing, but Murnau/Borzage failed to do (not helped by early factory defective discs)