Forced To Watch Pan and Scam In School!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

As the title of this thread would imply, I've been forced to watch movies in pan and scam in school. I know we all went through this at some time or another, but it's really been getting to me lately, since we've watched Remember the Titans and Jurassic Park in P&S in the last week. And, it gets worse. I spotted a copy of Schindler's List on my english teacher's desk today. Arrrrgggghhhh[​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Um, what sort of class screens Jurassic Park anyway? Or are these rental titles in the school library?

3. Andrew_Sch

In answer to Jack's question, we've actually just been watching a two-minute clip of Jurassic Park in Music Tech in order to create a score for that scene.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

You should print out one of those widescreen business cards and show your teacher the way of OAR, hehe.

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

As much of an OAR advocate as I am, I really must side with the school on this one. First of all, the class is not studying cinematography, so proper framing shouldn't really be an issue. Second of all, we're dealing with a school that probably has a very limited budget and is only doing what is economically feasible. So lets give the teacher a break. [​IMG]

6. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

No, let's *NOT* give them a break. I think in order to properly enjoy the movie, OAR is the only way to go. If I was in that class, I would walk out, when the movie was put on, and tell the teacher, that you're leaving, unless he/she puts on the movie in OAR.

Hello, the school, could buy a cheapo Apex DVD player for $50 bucks, and a student could bring the DVD (i.e. Jurassic Park).

It's as simple as that!

7. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Why? That's $50 more that they'd have to spend on a DVD player when they have perfectly functioning VCR. Again, we're talking about a music class, an english class...not a film class.
    Let's keep things in perspective here.

9. Andrew_Sch

Paul, rest easy, it's the scene where they're running away from the T-Rex in the Wrangler. BTW, who thinks I should buy the Dolby DVD for $12.99 at overstock?

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    We watched The Patriot in U.S. History and the teacher brought his DVD player to show the movie. Although it's Super-35, the movie is very well shot and composed!

I got to replace the library's P&S West Side Story with a LBX tape. WSS is one movie that is unwatchable in P&S.

I gave the library my LBX Amadeus tape, too, since I have the DVD and will soon get the SE when released.

11. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

15. Andrew_Sch

Damn, that DVD is full-screen.

16. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Right now I'm a sophomore in High School, and last year I had a Film Study class. I was probably the only person in the classroom (including the teacher) who was able to (and still does) appreciate WS over P&S. We watched all of our movies on a 20 some odd inch TV with a crappy little speaker and they were all P&S. I didn't like it, and my teacher did a whole unit on 16x9/WS/LBX/P&S, but everyone insisted on watching P&S.

This year, I have a TV Production class. My teacher for that also teaches Film Study (two teachers teach Film Study) and asked me if there was a way to make a WS film P&S. I refused to answer her or help her find a P&S version and then told her why WS is better. She said she agreed, but until they get a bigger TV (never happening) or are somehow able to get a projector (ditto) then she would have to get P&S because nobody in her class liked the LBX versions.

In my World Cultures class, we watched a VHS of Seven Years in Tibet, and during the opening (LBX) credits, the girl behind me said "god, I hope the black bars aren't there for the whole movie" (the TV was a 13" in the corner of the room hanging from the ceiling, so it was freakin' tiny). I tried to inform her of the benefits to WS, but when the movie went to P&S, she seemed content and ignored me.

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

20. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell