What's new

For you Spock's Beard fans out there... (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I've listened to a couple Porcupine Tree songs, and not one of them comes anywhere close to being as interesting or listener friendly as spocks beard. The two best prog bands out there today as far as creating interesting songs with great melodies and great musical proficiency are DREAM THEATER and SPOCKS BEARD.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
To compare Porcupine Tree with Spocks Beard is like comparing Pink Floyd with King Crimson.

Apple and oranges.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Louis.

I don't like comparing bands. And this whole "Prog Hope" thing- what's that all about? Does anyone actually think that Spock's Beard will be featured on Total Request Live?

"Carson, can you, like, please play All On A Sunday by Spock's Beard? They are, like, totally the bomb! Woo!"

The only Porcupine Tree I have is Stupid Dream. It's a pleasant listen, though it doesn't hold my interest as much as for other people.

NP: Peter Gabriel, Birdy

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
To compare Porcupine Tree with Spocks Beard is like comparing Pink Floyd with King Crimson.
Riiiiiiiight.

Comparing Spocks Beard to The Flower Kings is more like it. There's your apples and oranges. Comparing Spocks Beard to Porcupine is like comparing nice shiny apples to..........dull worm infested rotten apples.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I believe Louis was referring to the styles or approaches of the music, not his opinion of which is "better," which would be a silly point of contention.

NP: Joni Mitchell, Taming the Tiger

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Both The Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstairs are excellent Floydian style albums with modern grooves (some Ozrics feel to these albums). Starting with Signify (the album before Stupid Dream), they started to develop a less overt prog style and concentrate on shorter songs with more "Pop" emphasis. I still like 'em though.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Any fan of prog owes it to themself to give 'Coma Divine', (a live album by Porcupine Tree) a listen.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Well, after sampling a number of tracks from "Snow" I have to say it is, so far, a disappointment. I expected more from Spock's Beard.

I loved "V" and "Kindness of Strangers" because they put quite a lot into the compositions, and the arrangements were more creative and the tunes more catchy. Here they seem to be just going through the motions. I didn't find anything really strong, for example, like "At the End of the Day" or "The Great Nothing" on "V".

Maybe if someone could point out the strongest tracks they found I will give it another listen. Some CDs are like that - they grow on you..and I haven't listened to all the tracks...mp3s are hard to find...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I have faith it will be good. V also got slammed when it came out, with similar complaints as this one is getting... and I love that album!

I'm still waiting with baited breath for it to come in the mail. Waiting... waiting... waiting...

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I can't take the wait much longer, RADIANT claims the cds will get here by the END of next week! Oh GOD!! aaaaaaaaaaaaahh!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well, I've listened to the entire thing probably about 30 times by now...and while I'm not ready to post my review yet, I will say this...oh it grows on you alright.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, considering what fans are saying about Snow already, I'm not worried about it. Basically, the reviews by those who are fans of the band have been overwhelmingly positive. Not that it matters. I'm picking it up anyways.

As for Spock's Beard being the "great hope", I think it is more for the pop sensibilities that they have rather than the reality. There is certainly more hope going along with Porcupine Tree being with a major label. I'm not the biggest fan of the current direction, but they are still making good music. (And from all reports from the live shows, the new material is about as progressive as ever.)

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks