What's new

Apple Lossless and Spatial Audio (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

There was one report I read earlier today that this service would cost no more than the current Apple Music subscription.

However, it is being referred to as an additional "tier" service so I highly doubt the price will remain where it is.

I suppose we'll see very shortly...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Re: pricing. As someone who has the top tier- Premier Apple One, I really hope that they are using Lossless as a temptation for more people to sign up for it. That would mean not having to pay extra. We will find out (very??) soon

My bad feeling: my huge lossless CD collection iTunes is on my 2009 MacPro, which is still running Mac OS X El Capitan -- all of which, both hardware and software have been deprecated. And I don't have enough disc space on any other device to move my entire collection to... And I'm not about to upgrade to an Intel Mac Pro -- my only hope is an Apple Silicon Mac Pro that still has the capability of large internal storage, which, to my pleasant surprise the current Intel Mac Pro does.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Re: pricing. As someone who has the top tier- Premier Apple One, I really hope that they are using Lossless as a temptation for more people to sign up for it. That would mean not having to pay extra. We will find out (very??) soon

My bad feeling: my huge lossless CD collection iTunes is on my 2009 MacPro, which is still running Mac OS X El Capitan -- all of which, both hardware and software have been deprecated. And I don't have enough disc space on any other device to move my entire collection to... And I'm not about to upgrade to an Intel Mac Pro -- my only hope is an Apple Silicon Mac Pro that still has the capability of large internal storage, which, to my pleasant surprise the current Intel Mac Pro does.

Ted,

I have Apple Music through my Verizon wireless subscription. Their top-tier plans include Apple Music, Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN.

That being said, I am kind of pessimistic that when Apple upgrades to Lossless that my Verizon plan would cover that.

I currently subscribe to Qobuz which costs me $150 per year, so if there was an incentive to drop that in favor of Apple Music, I would.

As for your iTunes collection. I have a huge collection that takes up about 180GB of data. I have it backed up on a 256GB SSD drive and I do store it on my Macbook Pro in order to easily update it.

It sounds like your collection takes up a lot more space than mine does. I would suspect that you'll get your storage wishes with the soon-to-be-announced Macbook Pros, but of course, those storage options will be expensive.

The biggest mistake I made with my current MBP purchase was going with 2TB of storage. I haven't nearly even surpassed 1TB even with my music stored on it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ted,
As for your iTunes collection. I have a huge collection that takes up about 180GB of data. I have it backed up on a 256GB SSD drive and I do store it on my Macbook Pro in order to easily update it.

It sounds like your collection takes up a lot more space than mine does. I would suspect that you'll get your storage wishes with the soon-to-be-announced Macbook Pros, but of course, those storage options will be expensive.

The biggest mistake I made with my current MBP purchase was going with 2TB of storage. I haven't nearly even surpassed 1TB even with my music stored on it.
My "mistake" was not waiting another xx months when I last upgraded my MacBook Pro (in 2018?), when the top SSD went from 4TB to 8TB. The reason I desperately need the larger storage isn't music (I don't keep my collection on the MBP) but photos, and no, 4TB is not enough for not having to use external SSDs... which, because they don't stay attached most of the time, as I often use my "laptop" as an actual laptop and that means they don't get backed up by Backblaze...

My AppleLossless music is 512+GB on my Mac Pro. but the full iTunes collection on the Mac Pro, including music video, podcasts, etc. is like 6TB. Yes, I could extract just the music, but it would be so much simpler to go for the whole thing

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Ronald Epstein spatial music is included. Maybe lossless will be too

Okay, so what this mentions is spatial audio music.

The good news is that it's included with your current Apple subscription. That's a huge plus.

The bad news is that they didn't mention Hi-Rez music, that is, unless I missed something.

Thanks for this, Sam.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hellooooo, Tidal? Time to step up.

Right. And not just Tidal but Qobuz.

I have Qobuz because, at the moment, it's the only lossless service that Sonos supports. However, they cost $150 per year compared to Apple at $99.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Right. And not just Tidal but Qobuz.

I have Qobuz because, at the moment, it's the only lossless service that Sonos supports. However, they cost $150 per year compared to Apple at $99.

True. Tidal and Qobuz both have strengths that Apple Music and Amazon Music do not. Integration with music library/streaming service consolidation platforms like Audirvana and Roon is one, and there's Sonos on Qobuz. Tidal also has MQA and Qobuz has their HiRes format, for what they're worth. Still, with these two announcements today, it's going to be much more difficult for music lovers to justify continuing to pay these guys ~$20 per month when there are far less expensive alternatives available for lossless music streaming.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I sincerely hope that the MacRumors story is wrong. I could care less about AirPods, but HomePods can’t handle Apple Lossless?!? ALAC has been around since, what, 2004! An iPod HiFi speaker (2006) can handle ALAC no problem, but the 2018 HomePod can’t???

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Wow. You can't even enjoy lossless with the new Airpods Max since lightning cable can only handle analog.

Lightning cables are a digital cable.

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Don't know what to say about the Lightning cable claim, but audio resolution on Bluetooth devices is going to be limited by the CODECs they support. It's not just an Apple thing. Bluetooth is a lossy communication protocol. If you're streaming Apple Music lossless to a Bluetooth device you're not going to get lossless audio on the receiver end. There's just no way around it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what to say about the Lightning cable claim, but audio resolution on Bluetooth devices is going to be limited by the CODECs they support. It's not just an Apple thing. Bluetooth is a lossy communication protocol. If you're streaming Apple Music lossless to a Bluetooth device you're not going to get lossless audio on the receiver end. There's just no way around it.
I am mystified by the obsession with Bluetooth. The HomePod is WiFi, Bluetooth has nothing to do with it. Nor does Bluetooth have anything to do with wires, like Lightning

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am mystified by the obsession with Bluetooth. The HomePod is WiFi, Bluetooth has nothing to do with it. Nor does Bluetooth have anything to do with wires, like Lightning
I was obviously referring to wireless headphones/earphones, like the AirPods Pro, and I specifically mentioned that I was mystified about the Lightning cable issue. Also obviously, WIRED devices don't use Bluetooth on a wired connection. I've seen so many articles since the announcement bemoaning the fact that the AirPods Pro won't support Apple Music lossless streaming. Well, DUH.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wow. You can't even enjoy lossless with the new Airpods Max since lightning cable can only handle analog.

Ron,

Why would you worry about this (besides the fact Lightning cables are digital)?

As Doug alluded, nobody should be spending $$$ on Airpods-whatevers if they actually cared about lossless audio all that much -- BT doesn't/can't do lossless audio, and obviously, Airpods-whatevers aren't designed to be tethered via the Lightning cable even if a few people might (very) occasionally(?) use them that way.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks