For those who question weather there is a gain to be had with older movies in HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ppltd, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Here is some interesting information on the relative h Resolution of 35mm theatrical film. Understand when reading, that while film stock has vastly improved over the las 40 years (less grain, better color fedility, less 'strech', the resolution has pretty much stayed what it is. This should help put to bed the question of whether older films will show any benefit on HD.

BTW, all you have to do is watch The Searchers to see this proved out.

For more technical info, see http://www.vtpcorp.com/htm/vidfilm.htm

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    VTP is a superb company, which has been servicing the industry with quality equipment for quite a while. The information being offered, however, is angled toward a purpose, which does not tell the entire story.

What they are saying is that 2k is fine for new digital production...

and toward the production of 2k derived printing negs.

It is NOT fine, however, for use with film based productions, which will at some point have to be brought back to film.

This is an incorrect venue for the information, which is being purposed in other directions. We're in an apples and oranges situation, which is not being properly expressed in this thread.

RAH

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

One only needs to watch some of the older movies on HD broadcast and the improvement is obvious. I just watched parts of Chinatown in HD and it looks pretty damn good, even the old Eastwood spaghetti westerns look noticiably better, not to speak of Blazing Saddles in HD-DVD.

All of a sudden old classics became much more enjoyable, even to those who haven't really cared for them in the past.

4. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Any evaluation of Adventures of Robin Hood released today in HD DVD. I have not seen any reviews yet.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

To my eye, Grand Prix looks even better than The Searchers but is still 40 years old. Haven't seen Robin Hood yet though.

6. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I have Grand Prix on order. If my memory isn't faulty, I am pretty sure that I saw this film in 70mm in Chicago when it was released. Looking forward to owning it in HD.

Thomas Eisenmann