What's new

For something different: Commercials you actually like! (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ahhhhh. :biggrin:

Totally didn't make the connection.

==================================

This commercial always brings a smile to my face. Some of the greatest character actors from the era in one of the most iconic commercials ever (I wish the quality was better. There used to be a better version of it on YT):

And here's what the competition followed up with:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Wow, those were real blasts from the past! I spotted Sgt. Zale from M*A*S*H in the McD's commercial. During the BK commercial I couldn't help but think of DEVO's use of that bit of jingle - lol.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Wow, those were real blasts from the past! I spotted Sgt. Zale from M*A*S*H in the McD's commercial. During the BK commercial I couldn't help but think of DEVO's use of that bit of jingle - lol.

John Amos (Good Times) is featured. As is David Huddleston (Blazing Saddles and a million other movies). Anson Williams (Happy Days) makes an extremely brief appearance. There are a few others who are quite recognizable. Robert Ridgely comes to mind. It's quite the amazing fast food "crew."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SafariScreenSnapz001.png
Like many of you, I am not one to pay attention to commercials, but lately I have found myself chuckling at quite a few of them (mainly from Geico).​
I was going to start a brand new thread spotlighting everyone's favorite commercials, but was very happy to find that this one was already in existence.​
Here are two of my current Geico favorites....​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I love the latest Geico commercial with Peter Pan. The line about not looking a day over 70 cracks me up especially with that woman's look on her face. She just wanted to slap the shit out of that little twerp. :) The kid actor was really good.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm generally not a fan of the Geico commercials, but in my opinion, their Peter Pan commercial was pretty hilarious! :)

That said, I would have loved a followup chase bit! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yesterday during CBS Sunday Morning, my wife and I watched a commercial that had us both crying. It opens with a senior citizen doing stuff with his dog. It's clear both are devoted to each other. They go for a walk and the owner stops in a store and the dog has to wait outside. He goes to a coffee shop to socialize with friends and the dog waits patiently outside.

Then at home the owner grabs his arm, he's clearly ill. We see paramedics take him away and the dog is excluded. He races after the ambulance. As his master is taken inside the hospital, once again the dog is excluded. By now the tears are starting. The dog waits outside the hospital for an indeterminate time. Then a younger woman is wheeled outside in a wheel chair. The dog perks up and rushes up to and puts his paws one her. She smiles and it's clear the dog will go home with her.

What is the commercial selling? It's asking you to be an organ donor.If I already wasn't one, I'd have signed up right away.

This commercial told such a complete story so quickly with such clarity and sensitivity, it should be a primer in film school on how to communicate. It reminded me very much of Pixar's Up, which told the story of a marriage in just a few minutes. Of course it probably won't get much playtime, it's not trying to sell pop-tarts or cereal.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I generally like the Geico commercials, but I dislike the Peter Pan commercial. I feel they are distorting his character and it pisses me off. Peter Pan may have been a kid, but he wasn't a jerk like this version. It's fingernails on a chalk board for me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll come up on the Dislike Peter Pan ad intensely.

The PSA is just killing me though normally I dislike ads that take the entire commercial before you know what they're selling/advertising.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
The Peter Pan commercial bugs me too, although I do like others from them.

I can't find it anywhere, but the last one that I've really like was, I think, one for NBC.com. It's a family surrounding a man, and it covers several years. He opens his present, which is some homemade mug, ash tray, tie, etc. Every time he responds, 'Best present ever', and his son, next to him, beams. Finally, he opens his present, and it's a tablet, playing Blindspot, and his wife says, 'Now you can watch your shows anywhere!' To which he says slowly, 'This is the best present I ever got!' His son, visibly shaken says, 'Ever?' The man replies, 'This time I mean it!'. The boy, dejected, sets down a 'World's Best Dad' mug and asks, 'Can I be excused?' The mother nods her head. Off screen we hear, "Happy birthday, Dad' "Quiet, son! I'm watching here.'

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'll come up on the Dislike Peter Pan ad intensely.

The PSA is just killing me though normally I dislike ads that take the entire commercial before you know what they're selling/advertising.

I may have to watch for this one. I rarely watch commercials, thanks goodness for the DVR and the FF button. Never even watch shows live, I'll catch up the next day, week, month, whatever fits my schedule.

The ads that drive me crazy have all kinds of special effects, look like a movie preview so they grab your interest, then the last five seconds end up being an ad for a Jeep or a Chevy. That's a brand that drops off my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks