What's new

For once we can talk legitimately about bootlegs. (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Emerson Lake and Palmer have recently released a fascinating collection of concert CDs in Britain (I think the USA is getting them in a couple of weeks). They're called 'The Original Bootleg Series From the Manticore Vaults' and comprise two boxed sets of CDs, containing (if memory serves me correctly) 7 and 8 discs respectively (cost is circa 30 pounds each boxed set). The interesting thing about them is that the discs are copies of bootleg albums recorded by members of the audience, given a digital polish, but otherwise very much like 'genuine' bootlegs, with artwork to match.
I know that we must not discuss the provenance and quality of bootlegs on this forum (and quite rightly IMHO). However, I wonder if other groups might take a lead from ELP and start releasing bootleg albums under their own steam. It would seem an interesting way for commonly ripped-off bands to 'get their own back'.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Pearl Jam already released "board" recordings of most of their 2000 tour. Frank Zappa also released a series of Mothers of Invention bootlegs - I have the "Flo and Eddie" Fillmore CD. So while the idea isn't exactly "new", there sure haven't been many artists to go this route....

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves, I believe the Grateful Dead have done something similar. Several years ago they started releasing their own recordings of concerts that were really popular among those that trade bootlegs. In this case though it is a recording the band made and held onto, then many years later released as an album. One from the Vault and Two from the Vault were both double disc releases done this way, and I believe everything from the Dick's Picks series (10+ I think) are the same.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This has been going on for a LONG time. Dylan's Basement Tapes were bootlegs until he released them legitimately in 1975 (they were recorded in 1967). And then he has a whole 'Bootleg' series he's released.
The Beatles Anthology was of course all about an official release to what were only available as bootlegs for many years. And most of the Beatles' solo albums have been available for a while now with bonus tracks that were originally bootlegs.
Does anyone know if there were any official releases of bootlegs prior to Dylan in 1975?
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
And the live PHiSH series that just started. 6 shows every 6 months, straight from the Sound Board. Of course, the Dead and PHiSH have allowed taping, but SBD CDs is always worth the upgrade. Ouch goes my DVD money... And Frank also had the Break the Boots series where he just took actual bootlegs and released them through Rhino. This is not to mention his You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore series that was SBD. It's nice that musicians have realized that they can make money off of how I like to listen to music the best - live and with improv / mistakes. Nothing better than the real thing. It will be nice to upgrade some of my ELP shows too...
wink.gif

------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
And the Velvet Underground are starting to release a bootleg series, and Sonic Youth ocasionally has produced bootlegs (The Goo Demos, Live in Texas 1986) for their fan club members.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
The Grateful Dead Dick's Picks series is up to #23 (!). Most were released AFTER Jerry died. Some are quite good too. And they still release a handful of other live CDs and other material every year. The 2 CD Nightfall of Diamonds set just came out last week.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
And most of the Beatles' solo albums have been available for a while now with bonus tracks that were originally bootlegs.
Not sure about the others, but Paul's bonus tracks are all legitimately released, mostly as "B-sides". No bootlegs there, though a lot of the McCa B-Sides are quite good ("Country Dreamer" being my favorite).
King Crimson released an "official bootleg" also. Someone ripped off a copy of a DAT of a live show and made some CDs. Bob Fripp was pissed so he released the DATs as an "officially sanctioned" release. It's a curious album, ULTRA compressed.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks