What's new

For Metallica fans ... re: new record! (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Going back to the "complexity" of the material at hand on the early releases and then the last two ...

To me, it sounds like almost two different bands. IN ALL RESPECTS.

The last two releases were almost, weird rock, country, heavy in certain ways, but I do not even consider them metal.

And for the life of me, as I am sitting here typing this, cannot even remember song titles from Load or Re-Load besides the ones that were on MTV in heavy rotation.

This is how unmemorable and unimportant these records have been for me.

I tried to sell them on Ebay, but I could not get $2 for them ... and I tried :)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I am not going to repeat everythign I have already said, but I do ahve to comment on the Lyrics.

It is my opinion that their Lyrics have DEFINITELY EVOLVED, James ahs gotten more clever at sayign what he wants to say. If you had to listen to MOP or RTL or AJFA more than once or twice to figure out what theyw ere commenting on they you are stone blind stupid deaf or just not paying attention.

Personally I loved the simple in your face lyrics from those albums, there is no thinkign about it, theya re tellign you in plain words what they think. but Load and Reload are definitely not simple lyrically, you can see the transition from justice to the black album to load and reload, granted the biggest step was going to load.

Justice was great, but it was a full album of self righteous ranting and complaining. they got subtle as they got older, how is that a bad thing? I ahve always found something has more impact if I have to think about it rather than just having it handed to me.

I am not a musician, so I really cant comment on the actual music itself and its difficulty, all i knwo is it is all beyond me, but lyrics, that is simply poetry, and the poets whoa re most highly regarded are not the ones who come right out and say everythign in plain english, they make you think, and that is why metallica has definitely evolved.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Complex is not always "better" or evolved, and this is coming from someone who is into Frank Zappa, Stravinsky, and all sorts of "progressive" rock. Complexity for it's own sake can be a fun listen or a nice musical exercise, but often doesn't serve the song.

Nothing Else Matters is a bullshit sappy area song made to pander to 15 year old girls and posers.
I believe the song is about life on the road.

Bands such as Marillion, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, and Rush made some of their best music when they tightened up their structures and made it more direct or "simple."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

That is the one thing I like about the "new" Metallica. I was listening to "Ride the lightning" right now, and the song "Trapped under ice" started playing. That has to be the sorriest excuse for a lyric out of all their songs. :)

I definitely prefer some of the more intricate, ambiguous and interesting lyrics of their later stuff to the sometimes ridiculous stuff they did earlier.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Debating about lyrics is really dumb. People interpret lyrics in different ways. Fade to Black is a great example. It was a reaction to someone stealing their equipment in the early years. I know people who insist that it's about the loss of a loved one. The point is, what is simple to one person may be complex to another person. You can't tell me that Mama Said doesn't have a deep meaning for alot of people.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Well, for me lyrics are a non-issue. I don't listen to music for the lyrics, especially metal. In fact I find myself liking music in spite of the lyrics far more often than because of them considering how many musicians are left-wing nuts or worse. :) Besides I think heavy metal is probably better suited to direct, to-the-point lyrics with a healthy dose of agression rather than subtlety or ambiguity.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fade to Black is a great example. It was a reaction to someone stealing their equipment in the early years. I know people who insist that it's about the loss of a loved one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought it was about suicide.

It is actually about not wanting to go on.

SO actually both of you are right. The song was written after some stolen gear, but it has more meaning than that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Nothing Else Matters is a love song.

Theres nothing wrong with love songs, some of my favorites songs are love songs, only they dont suck:D

Ok, enough of this Metallica talk, wheres my Overkill Bloodletting CD? (A REAL Thrash band that has NEVER given up,compromised or sold their souls - Theyve "evolved" and they sound better than ever!)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
OFFICIAL MTV PRESS RELEASE:
--------------------
New York, NY, April 3, 2003 - MTV: Music Television today announced a stellar lineup of performers including Avril Lavigne, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Sum 41, to honor Metallica at the network's annual performance tribute event, mtvICON. These artists will take the stage before a live audience, paying homage to the band with their own musical interpretations of classic Metallica songs. The 90-minute special will also include testimonials from artists who have been influenced by the band. A list of testimonials and additional performers will be announced shortly. For the finale, Metallica will give up a show-stopping performance. mtvICON: Metallica will premiere on Tuesday, May 6th at 9:00PM [ET/PT].

Avril Lavigne will take a break from her first North American headline tour, titled TRY TO SHUT ME UP, for her mtvICON: Metallica performance. Her debut album, Let Go, has sold over 12 million copies to date worldwide.

Following their mtvICON tribute, Limp Bizkit will hit the road to headline with Metallica and Linkin Park on the Summer Sanitarium tour. Limp's forthcoming album, out this June, is one of the most highly anticipated rock albums of the summer.

mtvICON will mark the debut television event performance by Korn. To date Korn has sold more than 18 million albums around the world. The band will be touring this summer as part of Ozzfest.

Sum 41's mtvICON appearance comes fresh on the heels of their sold-out U.S. tour in support of their most recent album, 'Does This Look Infected?' The platinum-certified 'Does This Look Infected?' features the hit singles, 'Still Waiting' and 'The Hell Song.'

With over 85 million albums sold worldwide, Metallica is the #5 top selling artist in the Soundscan era. Metallica has produced such seminal hard rock hits as 'Enter Sandman,' 'Unforgiven,' 'One,' 'For Whom the Bell Tolls,' 'I Disappear,' and many, many more. 'St. Anger,' their first new album in five years is scheduled for release on June 10th 2003, and the band is slated to headline the 2003 Summer Sanitarium Tour, which will also feature Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

MTV.com will be an online destination for Metallica fans. In the 'Ultimate Fan Contest,' die-hard fans can upload photos and their favorite Metallica moments to share with MTV.com's music community. One of these fans will win a trip to the show. In addition, MTV.com will feature a complete multimedia Metallica timeline, streaming music and video, and exclusive photos. For more information on mtvICON and to enter the mtvICON Ultimate Fan Contest, fans can log on to MTV.com.

As the MTV Video Music Awards show honors artists for their accomplishments in the art of music video for that given year, mtvICON is meant to honor musical artists for their collective contributions and impact on music videos, pop culture, and over their entire career.

Executive producers of mtvICON: Metallica are Tom Calderone, Dave Sirulnick, and Lorraine Coyle. Michael Dempsey is Producer. Joe DeMaio is Director. Michele Dix and Jesse Ignjatovic are co-creators.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't like any of the bands involved in this "tribute", but I'll be sure to watch it anyway, should be interesting. I watched the Aerosmith one last year, that was a blast. Also, Hetfields little speech at that event was great and very touching. This could be a fun night.

/Mike

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
For those who care, the Metallica website says the album is going to contain 11 songs and is 75 minutes long.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
My turn:

1. Metallica released four good albums that they wrote, and one helluva compilation of great remakes.

2. Everything went to shit for them in 1988 or so when "Enter Sandman" hit the radio.

3. Metallica didn't actually "sell-out" until they released the two-disc set Garage Inc. Hell, I already had half that music, and the rest was yet another compilation of remakes again.

4. I had to lose respect when they cut their hair. They want to call themselves a garage band by playing European 70's metal, then fine, your a garage band. Don't pierce your nipples and sing about your "load". -exaggerating;)

5. Am I interested in they're next project? Yes, I guess I'm a bit intriuged. I'm a glutton for punishment.

6. I'm going to go listen to RTL now.

Feel free to flame away at my very opininated views.:D

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Scott I dont agree with most of your views, but hey who cares, the only one i really have a beef with is

4. I had to lose respect when they cut their hair. They want to call themselves a garage band by playing European 70's metal, then fine, your a garage band. Don't pierce your nipples and sing about your "load". -exaggerating
I mean reallyto keep your respect people have to wear the same clothes keep the same hair cut and not enjoy popular culture, many people get piercings because they enjoy it, same with tattoes, plus what they look like has nothign to do with the music they play, if that were the case then i guess id ahve to go grow my hair and live in a smelly garage to be able to properly listen to metallica and other metal, cause otherwise id be a poser?

StevenW

Second Unit
3. Metallica didn't actually "sell-out" until they released the two-disc set Garage Inc. Hell, I already had half that music, and the rest was yet another compilation of remakes again.
Just because YOU had half of those songs doesnt mean everybody did, especially newer fans. It would be damn near impossible & expensive to try and find all those old covers. So I appreciate that Metallica put them all togther in a cool 2 disk set. I dont understand how this is "selling out" at all??

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Thats a good point Steven, I had spent a couple of years always looking for garage days revisited and garage days re-revisited, with absolutely no luck, so I was quite happy when garage Inc came out and i think many of their fans who just werent listening to them until the late 80's were happy to have that as well.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
For the most part, people who don't think Metallica have sold out, just weren't around back when they meant something.

Unless you were a teen or older in the 80s, and can really remember what Metallica meant to the metal scene back then, you're really out of your element, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into....uh..scratch that.
:D

But seriously, I liken it to what people said about the 60s, unless you were there, you just can't understand.

At any rate, I'm very excited about the new album!!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
see thats it the people who think Metallica has sold out are just bitter because theyarent makign the exact same music they did back then. of course if they were those same people would complain metallic is one dimentional.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
see thats it the people who think Metallica has sold out are just bitter because theyarent makign the exact same music they did back then.
Again, personally, I do not think Metallica has sold out, but rather did something even worse. Made two records of uninspired, boring music :thumbsdown:

On another topic, Lars, in a recent Interview with the French verison of Rolling Stone magazine was qouted as saying somthing like:

"Our European Record Company rep, after hearing the new record declared that the music was COMMERCIAL SUICIDE"

I am becoming more and more interested. I want to feel goosebumps again when hearing new Metallica tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks