What's new

For Metallica fans ... re: new record! (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Has anyone changed their mind about this album? I liked it to begin with (although I did cringe a bit at the production). All summer long I have listened to this album far more than anything else and I have to say that it has only gotten better. After awhile the production seemed to "fit" the music and I found myself even liking the songs that turned me off the first time I heard them (St. Anger, Dirty Window, Shoot Me Again). The only song I just can't stomach is Purify.

Anyway, the thing I really like about this album is its re-listenability (is that a word?). This is something that was missing in the Black Album and the Loads. I just do not get sick of it; as soon as All Within My Hands is over, I just let Frantic start up again. There are very few albums that I do that (the intro guitars to "Battery" come to mind).

I'm not saying that St. Anger compares with their big 3, but it is a nice balance to another band I like Iron Maiden. One band gets bashed for rehashing all the same stuff over and over, and the other gets bashed for changing it's sound too much. I happen to like the choices of both of those bands.:)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about posting about this too. I liked the album when it came out, and placed it as their 4th best album (the first 3 are the best). But I might have to reconsider that...

It sounds weird to even type it, but here it goes: this could be Metallica's best album ever. I have played it so much since it came out, and I'm not yet tired of it. It is nothing short of a masterpiece almost at the same magnitude as "Master of puppets". The thing that could make it an equal to MoP would be some solo guitars.

I know most people probably don't agree, and most likely Metallica won't even agree. :)

Cagri

Second Unit
I bought this album, I was so bored at every song that I couldn't complete any one of them, and I'd totally forgot about it... This is the first and only CD I own which I haven't had the slightest will to completely listen to, and I have a positive bias for Metallica (I even liked Load and Reload). I was this much bored with the first several songs. After reading your recent posts I am thinking to give it another try this evening.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've listened many times, and I still only like five songs:

1. Frantic
2. St. Anger
3. Dirty Window
4. Invisible Kid
5. Purify

I have tried to get into the others and simply cannot. However, although I like the previously listed five songs, I seem to be "tired" after listening to them and usually put on something much lighter afterwards.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
To each his own, but man I love Unnamed Feeling. I have heard this song probably over 50 times and it still gives me goose bumps when it gets to the chorus.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Well I love it.

When I first heard the track "St Anger" I thought WTF, but having listened to the album and listened to it on my HT system I really enjoy it.

However I have always loved all there Albums. I started Listening to them just before ...AJFA. :D

Regards

AXE

Cagri

Second Unit
I listened to the whole album a couple of times now. Here's what I think:

First 6 songs : Nothing speacial, with #3 and #4 being extremely boring.

Song 7 : A very good song, best in the album and one of Metallica's better songs.

Song 8,9 : Not bad...

Last 2 songs : Nothing special. Not as boring as #3 and #4 though.

I guess I'll swap the disc with The Stars We Are from Marc Almond.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
St. Anger lasted about 2 weeks in my CD changer and then it was removed and I haven't listened to it since. All of the previous Metallica CDs got major play time from me but I just can't stand St. Anger. IMO it's definitely their worst CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks