What's new

FM? (1 Viewer)

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
Just curious if anyone has any word on a decent release (heck, I'd even take a good DVD) of the movie FM, from 1978. A blu would be the dream, for sure, but something tells me that this thing is being held up by (several) music rights issues. (A fantastic soundtrack.)

Something of a cult favourite, not a blockbuster, not by any means, I remember it being a fun, solid film that really worked in the (loud) theatre. The sequence with Queen's "We Will Rock You" was goose-bump inducing. (Though, that could have been the volume in the theatre and the fact I was 14. :) )

There is a (really expensive) out of print DVD: http://www.amazon.com/FM-Michael-Brandon/dp/B00003ETJ1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378526140&sr=8-1&keywords=fm+dvd

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
Hmmm.... on the other hand... reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Could be I'm remembering this through the lens of a that 14 year old amazed to hear a cool soundtrack played loudly in a theatre. :)

But on yet another hand, the reviews for it on Amazon are decent.

Anyway, any word on this--or even a line on an affordable copy of the DVD--would be appreciated!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I'd also love a Blu-ray disc of this. Like Number 6, I was a teenager (16) when I saw this. It was in a "movie theater" in Thedford, Nebraska, when the family was camping in the nearby National Forest. It was actually an insurance agent's office that became the town's theater on Friday and Saturday nights, complete with what seemed to be a bed sheet on the wall for a screen. Anyway, the parents dropped us off while they went out for steaks and beer, and all I remember is having a great time.

And yes, this is one of the all-time great rock'n'roll soundtracks. Still gets a lot of play here.

- Mark

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Number 6 said:
Hmmm.... on the other hand... reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Could be I'm remembering this through the lens of a that 14 year old amazed to hear a cool soundtrack played loudly in a theatre. :)

But on yet another hand, the reviews for it on Amazon are decent.

Anyway, any word on this--or even a line on an affordable copy of the DVD--would be appreciated!
Yes this is certainly a movie to look at through rosé colored lens, but I love it. This was the first film
I saw in Dolby Stereo. I have fond memories if this and the soundtrack.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My friend has this DVD but it's rotted and no longer plays. I have the letterboxed laserdisc, which at least I can still watch.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought I had this one in a Roger Corman collection, but I was mixing it up with Gasssssss. I'd buy this if it got a release, maybe email/post on Shout Factory facebook page about it. They recently put out a blu of "Roadie", so this title should certainly be in their wheelhouse.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FM, Detroit Rock City...many movies of this ilk could be released as a "combo Blu pack" if certain heads that be would work together...(ha ha).

Here's a few that would work together...

Rock Star
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Rock of Ages(already out, but does it sell?)
"Something Abba"
FM
DRC
Spinal Tap(stands on it own and already out)
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar(technically not the same theme...but, if you include Hedwig...)

You could add more

Tom Logan

Second Unit
An official FM release would also now memorialize something gone forever: a live singing performance by Linda Ronstadt.

:(

I recall "Tumbling Dice" and perhaps one other number?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Tom Logan said:
An official FM release would also now memorialize something gone forever: a live singing performance by Linda Ronstadt.

I recall "Tumbling Dice" and perhaps one other number?
Yep, "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me."

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Well, there's one here in Vancouver:

IMG_2901.JPG

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Stephen_J_H said:
David, is that an Anchor Bay disc?
Yes, with widescreen and pan-and-scan versions and a trailer. It certainly is a time capsule, and very enjoyable as one. I also like the scenes in the Tower Records, because they appear to be in the Tower Records on Sunset - in my opinion, the greatest North American record store in its prime.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have the VHS. Really fun film. Reminds me of old times when radio was fun. Well, when I started in the late 80s it was still great fun. No money, but fun. Now it's just no money.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have that dvd too. Checked a couple years ago and still works.

I had a Kentucky Fried Movie Rot on me, emailed them and they sent me another. Worth a shot, they may still have a few around the office.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My "FM" DVD still plays fine. My "Kentucky Fried Movie" DVD is playing right now; so far, so good. Any other older Anchor Bay DVD's for me to check on, anybody?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My Halloween 4 disc rotted but I got it replaced. My friend wasn't so lucky with FM- seems like Shout Factory could put it back out now!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Number 6 said:
Just curious if anyone has any word on a decent release (heck, I'd even take a good DVD) of the movie FM, from 1978. A blu would be the dream, for sure, but something tells me that this thing is being held up by (several) music rights issues. (A fantastic soundtrack.)

http://www.amazon.com/FM-Michael-Brandon/dp/B00003ETJ1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378526140&sr=8-1&keywords=fm+dvd[/url]
About the music rights issues, if Anchor Bay managed to work them out, I'm sure hoping Shout Factory or somebody else could too. But maybe things have changed. Along with concert ticket sales, licensing is one of the few traditional revenue streams for rock musicians that seems to be thriving in 2015, and I wouldn't doubt that hard bargaining is taking place.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
A potential problem (or solution?) towards getting a Blu of FM is that when Anchor Bay did their release, there were five major labels - Universal, WEA, EMI, Sony, and BMG - and now there are only three - Universal, WEA, and Sony. Which could either mean inflated rates for licensing music due to the new owners, or perhaps bulk deal pricing due to the consolidation of assets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks