What's new

Flying Soon? Read this passenger briefing from the Captain of a recent flight. (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
A person from my hometown, a middle eastern man, was asked to leave the plane because the pilots didnt "feel safe" with him aboard. It finally has gotten national attention and has aired on CNN.

the captain is responsible for that airplane and IS the final authority, he has the legal right to toss anyone and anything off his/her airplane.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
It's too bad that there wasn't anyone onboard that aircraft that went down in PA, that could fly a plane.
Usually there are "dead-heading" pilots from other airlines, or from the airline itself, flying to their home stations. I can't honestly remember a flight I've flown where I haven't seen at least 1 pilot sitting in back with me.
Perhaps they killed them too?
Even though I'm an aircraft technician, I am very well able to fly 757's and 767's due to quite a bit of simulator time and from working on them for 13 years on the flight line.
I would've landed that plane...
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I find this a remarkably intelligent approach. And a fine briefing.
"If it ain't true, it should be".
Thanks for sharing this.
Cees

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Just as a point regarding what passengers should do in a hi-jack situation. I don't know if anyone ever hi-jacked a plane to crash it before - they always land it and use the passengers as hostages.
If you were on that plane and the hi-jackers took over they would probably say "we are flying for the nearest airport" etc. Perhaps someone knows for sure about the 11th, but the last thing you want to do is say "we're going to kill all you - you're all dead" because people will do precisely what was suggested: fight like crazy.
Now the only good thing that might come out these hi-jackings is an end to aeroplane hi-jacks. Who now is going to just wait quietly if they're on a plane hi-jacked? They won't take the risk that they're all going to die, surely.
Theo

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Theo, I'm beginning to thing that your idea is right on. No one, in their right mind or not, would hijack an airplane now. Who doesn't know about the PA flight? The hijacker would get jumped in seconds. They'd be so screwed!
I would think twice about being the first guy to jump them, but I do have sort of a partial solution. With the thousands out of work now, why not let them fly for free?
Any plane with an empty seat or two, (and I know that there are lots now) could let some of them on for a free ride. Heck, as extra security, they could pay them enough to stay overnight at the destination, and the next day they could hop on another flight. Jees, wouldn't you just love to tackle the person that caused you to become unemployed?
Glenn

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Erm, I don't know why they should be unemployed due to terrorists but then I haven't fully kept up to date with the news.
Needless to say, your idea seems a trifle, er, 'fascist'? Maybe your tongue was firmly in your cheek, but there is an implicit suggestion that unemployed people are of less worth to my mind.
By your plan they either prove their worth by risking their lives to try to stop terrorism or they get killed along with everyone else - presumably removing a burden from the state.
Oh well, guess you'll just have to accept us Brits are all a bunch of pinkos, I'm afraid.
Theo

RicP

Screenwriter
Erm, I don't know why they should be unemployed due to terrorists but then I haven't fully kept up to date with the news
I dont know if this news made it over to the UK Theo, but because of the week long ban on flying, the Major airlines lost a lot of money and laid off over 90,000 people last week.
I suppose you could say that they are unemployed indirectly or directly because of the terrorists.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

TheoGB

Screenwriter
90,000?!?!?!?!?
Hmm. I'd heard there had been some job losses in Swiss Air just tonight but they said that the airline had already been in financial trouble.
I see what was meant now, though I believe that the recession is the more important reason for the layoffs. I'd guess the airlines jumped at the chance to have an excuse for them. You may even find they have insurance policies that help them with pay outs in such situations.
frown.gif

Theo

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'll be finding out tomorrow if I still have a job or not. Not really sure how many people Delta is going to layoff.
As far as the 90000 people out of work in the airlines goes, don't forget to add in Boeing. They laid of 30000 workers alone, and bring the total up to around 120000 people out of work that are directly related to the airlines.
Then, considering Delta will probably follow the others and layoff around 20%, which will amount to about 16000 jobs, you add that into the 120000 and you have a real nice number of about 136000 of us unemployed.
Happy Holidays...
frown.gif

But, we still have air in our lungs so, I guess it's not all bad.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
beyond the layoffs is a hiring freeze also, a lot of my classmates got hired on, got a class date for training then got it cancelled
frown.gif
talk about a let down.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I see what was meant now, though I believe that the recession is the more important reason for the layoffs. I'd guess the airlines jumped at the chance to have an excuse for them. You may even find they have insurance policies that help them with pay outs in such situations.
While I think it's insensitive to say that the airlines jumped at this as an excuse for layoffs, it is true that many airlines were in very deep financial trouble before any of this happened. That's what will make any bailout tough to swallow -- the problems that were brought on by the airlines themselves will be glossed over.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for adding validity to the story Max.
Additional evidence that the story is true was presented on NBC national news last night during a report on allowing pilots to carry guns. They made reference to the pilot that was thanking his passengers for their bravery in flying and encouraging their participation in security.
Jay Taylor

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
While I think it's insensitive to say that the airlines jumped at this as an excuse for layoffs, it is true that many airlines were in very deep financial trouble before any of this happened. That's what will make any bailout tough to swallow -- the problems that were brought on by the airlines themselves will be glossed over.
that's true, their quarter earnings came out just before the "incident" and I think most all except for maybe southwest lost 200 million or so

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Message removed
Jake, if you want to make a point then kindly doing it without calling other members idiots
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on September 27, 2001 at 07:03 AM]

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I also thought this story was just another "urban myth". Then thursday night I was watching nbc, dateline I believe, and there it was. The exact same story. How about that? Pretty cool.
Jon
icon14.gif

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go a step further and venture to say ANYONE that tries anything wacky on a plane for the time being will get a serious azz kicking from the passengers. Drunk passengers..whoever. People are edgy when they fly now and anyone that causes trouble will get an Ike Turner put on them. Just my 2 cents.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Here is a pretty good read on one opinion of the "bail-out". Slate.com .
It sucks that so many people are loosing their jobs right now in the airline industries, but this author has a good point. This money isn't going to prevent those job losses. Airlines are not going to fly routes that won't make them money. CEO's are still getting fat checks. The taxpayers are ensuring that the stockholders are less risk adversed.
Many people are very content with so many things that are changing in America right now. But I wonder how they are going to feel once they see the Tax bill that has accumulated and many of their civil liberties have evaporated. (I know....it's better to pay a few taxes than die......but none of this spending is going to ensure anything)
[Edited last by Jesse Leonard on September 29, 2001 at 01:20 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks