What's new

Flying Cars (1 Viewer)

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, it’s 2006. Where are my flying cars? Yes I know they have them already, but you need a pilot’s license (which is silly because they are VTOL and you don’t need to use an airport runway, but I guess you need a license to use a helipad too). I don’t want big bulky VTOL specially licensed cars, I want something like this: speaking of which, what is this from?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Well... A flying car that runs on fuel would be too dangerous. I don't see that ever happening. People would be falling to their deaths from the sky. Also, most people wouldn't be able to handle the flying car.

I could see it happening with some sort of magnetism, but even then, it's too dangerous.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Not really. If it got to the point of flying cars, computer control would be advanced enough to deal with issues such as low fuel, collision avoidance, navigation, etc.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Julia,
Have you been watching Bladerunner, again? Those won't be in common use for another 10 years, and that's in California. :)

Really, the flying cars I've seen were little planes with wings that folded back.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I thought something seemed eerily familiar about this thread.

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
I found another flying car video. This one complete with idiotic German tourists, how I love them:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Forget it, won't happen.

Did you see Back to the Future II? Even if we create floating pylons to form skyways, do you really think that people will stay within them?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Actually I thought that this was a NeilV thread—at least until I noticed that someone else was the thread starter.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There was actually an ad on Yahoo's home page a few days ago. A didn't see exactly what it was, but if it comes up again, I'll se where the link goes.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Computer control couldn't extend to vehicles that are being used that have no such control. This is why early 'self driving" cars from the 80's were scrapped. They did fine in same-model tests, but the transponders couldn't "see" vehicles without them and would run into cars/motorcycles at 65mph. (closed-track testing of course). Unless 'Beyond 2000' lied to me.

Plus we have a huge segment of society that simply has to tamper with any sort of government control or safety device made. If anybody could fly then we'd have alot more "Car lands in 3rd story bedroom" accidents. Aviation is an invention that MUST be retarded (in the non-offensive, technically correct use of the word) for the good of all mankind. Kinda for the same reasons we don't have "basement nuclear power plants" that PopSci. said we would be 1970.

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

Cool, let me know. I mean, I think it's a viral campaign for GM, but there are SO many cars under the GM umbrella that I wonder what they're actually advertising.

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
Aha. Well thanks for finding that! How odd. I think that ad campaigns are actually getting better with all this viral stuff. I mean, I found those videos actually entertaining. Not sure if it makes me more likely to buy a GM car, but that 100,000 mile warranty doesn't sound bad! I bet it's something like that GM is "flying" about the competition with that offer... they should let me write ads. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks