What's new

fluance sx-htb vs. onkyo s760 (1 Viewer)

Dennis_G

Auditioning
I am planning to buy a home theater system for my basement. Should I buy a new fluance sx-htb (5.1) which has no subwoofer or receiver for $269, or should I buy a refurbished onkyo s760 (6.1) with everything included for $350? Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Dennis_G

Auditioning
I am planning to buy a home theater system for my basement. Should I buy a new fluance sx-htb (5.1) which has no subwoofer or receiver for $269, or should I buy a refurbished onkyo s760 (6.1) with everything included for $350? Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard the fluance, so I can't comment on them. A friend has the s760 and loves it. I had the 5.1 version, the s650. The onkyo systems have very nice receivers and good starter speaker. The onkyo systems are a nice way to get started, and I think, easy to upgrade.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard the fluance, so I can't comment on them. A friend has the s760 and loves it. I had the 5.1 version, the s650. The onkyo systems have very nice receivers and good starter speaker. The onkyo systems are a nice way to get started, and I think, easy to upgrade.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I considered the Onkyos, the Fluance AV-HTB, the JBL NSP1s, and a few others.

I went with the Fluance blind. The towers are very good, the center is OK to good, the surrounds are OK. My Sony WM20 subwoofer is junk (but it only cost me $40).

I've since re-listened to the Onkyos and the JBLs, and I find that I still like the Fluance towers better than either, and the Fluance surrounds sounded about the same as the Onkyo speakers @ CC. I think JBL's bookshelves sounded a bit better than the Fluance bookshelves, but it's hard to tell in a Best Buy with limited sound choices.

The Fluance are a great buy for the $$. Just get a good subwoofer. You'll find quite a few happy Fluance buyers.

I will upgrade to some better speakers someday, but not until the budget is in better shape.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I considered the Onkyos, the Fluance AV-HTB, the JBL NSP1s, and a few others.

I went with the Fluance blind. The towers are very good, the center is OK to good, the surrounds are OK. My Sony WM20 subwoofer is junk (but it only cost me $40).

I've since re-listened to the Onkyos and the JBLs, and I find that I still like the Fluance towers better than either, and the Fluance surrounds sounded about the same as the Onkyo speakers @ CC. I think JBL's bookshelves sounded a bit better than the Fluance bookshelves, but it's hard to tell in a Best Buy with limited sound choices.

The Fluance are a great buy for the $$. Just get a good subwoofer. You'll find quite a few happy Fluance buyers.

I will upgrade to some better speakers someday, but not until the budget is in better shape.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I find that the Onkyo 760 and 770 are awfully hard to beat in the HTIB market for value and performance, bulky speakers notwithstanding.

I have never heard of Fluance before, but this intruiges me. I have a couple of friends who might be interested in hearing about this, since they're in the market.

:emoji_thumbsup:

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I find that the Onkyo 760 and 770 are awfully hard to beat in the HTIB market for value and performance, bulky speakers notwithstanding.

I have never heard of Fluance before, but this intruiges me. I have a couple of friends who might be interested in hearing about this, since they're in the market.

:emoji_thumbsup:

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I am the happy owner of the SX-HTB. I have not heard the Onkyo speakers, but the FLuance are everything I was looking for. I built my own sub, so that took care of the missing sub. I hear that a lot of people like the dayton 10" 100watt sub from parts express. I think it is like $100.00. That is essentially what I built. I picked up a 10" Dyaton DVC and throw in the 150watt amp. It sounds great and complements the Fluance speaker well.

Marc

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I am the happy owner of the SX-HTB. I have not heard the Onkyo speakers, but the FLuance are everything I was looking for. I built my own sub, so that took care of the missing sub. I hear that a lot of people like the dayton 10" 100watt sub from parts express. I think it is like $100.00. That is essentially what I built. I picked up a 10" Dyaton DVC and throw in the 150watt amp. It sounds great and complements the Fluance speaker well.

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks