What's new

Fluance SX--HTB just came in (1 Viewer)

ChriS ChaN

Auditioning
UPS finally brought in my Fluance SX-HTB's today (really late too, it was 6:30pm!). The towers were HEAVY, I needed to borrow the luggage cart from the front desk of my apartment to haul the suckers up. The satellites are ALOT smaller than they look in the pictures; the same goes for the center channel. I purchased these from bigbangelectronics.com for $295 shipped, this it probably the best price you can get for these new (shipped) as they're on clearance at that vendor this month. They came double-boxed and the speakers were nicely protected with foam and styrofoam boards. Gave a nasty factory odor out of the box, reminded me of my uncle's oil cooler factory in Taiwan. My initial impressions are faily good, considering these haven't been burned in at all. Running them off my Panasonic XR25 in my small 200sq ft studio apartment, they sounded BIG (small room helps alot). Many ppl have said that they needed a sub, but for me, the bass was very loud and full. Not as detailed as my B&W sub, but I'm hoping after some burn in, they'll tame themselves down. Actually, for the sake of my neighbors, I've turned off my sub because of these towers. Imaging in stereo sources was okay, but I've heard much better from monitors only a quarter their size. For home theater, they're perfectly suitable though. The center channel; this guy is a frustrating little thing. It just doesn't match the system at all. Voices sound way too forward, aggressive, and at times...BRIGHT. Definitely something I'll consider upgrading in the future. The rears hasn't gotten much use, but playing "Yukikaze" (Anime: about futuristic Jets against alien invaders), fly-by engines and missles all sounded great in surround. No real complaints...yet.
All in all, these are WELL worth their value and probably THE top contender for a

that review came at an excellent time for me so goodjob on the timing. what other speakers have you heard that you can compare these to? Is the finish on those kinda cheesy looking like on the internet or is it nice?

ChriS ChaN

Auditioning
I just recently got into speakers, but here's wut I had/got:
Old Pair of Mission bookshelves from 1994
B&W 601 S3's
Von Schweikert VR1's
Acoustic Energy Aespirit 300C's

These are my first home theater dedicated speakers, the rest I've used on a separate dedicated stereo rig where I throw most of my money at :D

As for the finish, they look muuuch darker than they do in the pictures. Completely caught me off guard as much of my ikea furniture is a light beech color and I had hope to match everything. These are more of a maple-ish color, more towards brown than white. The vinyl they used is very smooth and gives it a very high quality look. It's the woofers that look cheap to me.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Just give them a few days to break in.. or for yourself to get used to them.. which ever it is that happens.. after about 10 hours of use my sv10's really warmed up, or i warmed up to my sv10's. (i think its the latter as my friend came over and went, "holy crap those are bright", but thats from the kid that has 20 year old fisher speakers with 15in subs and 2 in tweeters) but i digress. The imaging isn't that great on my sv10's either but i still think i made a decent decision choosing fluance. If i had to do it again.. i probably would have shopped around more, saved more, and spent more. Im still looking forward to the "online speaker face-off" that hopefully will happen, and will include Fluance.

enjoy them..

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks