Floor standing speakers for both music and H.T. use

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shiu, May 30, 2004.

1. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I am considering replacing my Polk Audio RTi38 front mains with a pair of floor standing speakers. I prefer neutral sounding speakers and I have narrowed my search down to the Energy C9, KEF Q7, Polk Audio RTi8, Paradign Sudio 60, and the LSI9 or LSI15. I have only listened to the LSI once or twice and was not paying attention anyway at the time. According to Polk, the LSI has better "resolution". I have listened to the Energy, KEF and the Paradign quite a bit but it is impossible to AB them. I am hoping to hear from owners of any of these speakers.

2. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

All of those are great considerations and I think it will just boil down to your own personal taste. Seeing that you are in Ontario, try and audition a pair of the Dahlquist QX10A too if at all possible if you don't mind a personal recommendation. They are neutral and have the best timbre accuracy of the midfi brands I have I have experience with IMHO.

3. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I have not heard of the Dahlquist but I should be able to get some info from their website. Thanks

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I have the Studio 40s which have the same driver array as the 60s and I like them alot. They are outstanding for vocals, pianos, strings, and movies. It's not the perfect speaker, but it does most things very well. They do need a lot of power and space to sound their best.

5. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Whenever I hear of someone considering the Studio 60 I always like to point them in the direction of the Mordaunt-Short 906. I almost bought the 60s, but prefered the 906s... slightly smaller, less expensive, and superior sound (IMO).