What's new

Floor Speakers (1 Viewer)

Rhyno37

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
So I finally received my Marantz receiver (250W 5.1) now looking for some floor speakers to begin my set. I've narrowed it down between the Polk TSi400's and 500's, and then the Klipsch Icon. I can get the 400's for $300 for the pair, the 500's for $400 for the pair, and the Icons for $400 for a pair, since I work at the store and get a discount. There is no listening room at any stores around me, and listening to them in the wide open store on a low end receiver doesn't have much bearing, so I'm putting some trust in you guys. If I don't like them, I can simply return them for the others. Basically, if I get the more expensive pair, I'll have to stick with just them for a while. If I get the cheaper, I can get a center, sub and surrounds sooner. EDIT: I don't know why, but it won't let me post any links...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Derek:

The inability of new members to post links is a common problem. It is built into the software to prohibit such activity because of the high number of spammers we get (a HUGE problem for us). After a handful of posts, you'll find that you've got the ability to post links. Until then, you could always post the text to the links for members to paste into their browsers.

Welcome to the forum!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Tough call. My first option would be to get both, try them out at home and return the ones you don't want. If that's not possible, it would depend on whether you already know you like Polks. If you do, then I say get the better ones, it's almost always better to move up and fill in the other speakers better. You'll enjoy the sound more, and it's more expensive to upgrade later than it is to add on to your system. On the other hand, if the Polks are a best guess on your part, then I think I'd go with the cheaper speakers. (Although in that case I'd try harder to hear a set in a reasonable environment. A friends house perhaps.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since there are no receivers that are 250 wpc, I am guessing the Marantz receiver you got is one of the compact models rated at 50 wpc (x5=250), then speaker sensitivity is a concern. Based solely on that, the Klipsch are a better choice, but you need to find models with sound you like and a lot of people find Klipsch harsh.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think John's got it. Also, are you considering these because they are readily available local to you? I'd advise you to see if someone will let you listen (even Best Buy, etc. will do that) to see what it sounds like to you. But at 50x5, the Klipsch are probably going to be an advantage for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks