What's new

Flipper on DVD (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Okay, somebody is definitely trying to ruin my weekend. Got this from amazon.com:

Hello from Amazon.com.
Due to a lack of availability from our suppliers, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:
MGM "Flipper Original Series Season 2"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLPEH4
We've cancelled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience.

Please visit the product detail pages above to see if these items are available from other sellers.

If you took advantage of a promotional offer when placing this order, this cancellation may affect your order's eligibility for that offer. If this is the case, please contact customer service:
http://www.amazon.com/contact-us
If we determine that you should still receive the offer, we'll reimburse you for the value of the promotional discount. (This will not apply if all items in the order were cancelled.)

Your credit card will NOT BE CHARGED for this item because you only pay for items when we ship them to you.

Your order is now closed.

That deserves a big giant.... [SIZE= 72px]WTF![/SIZE]

[SIZE= 72px]*CHANGES TO SMALL FONT*[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 72px]Well, wikipedia has this: "ClassicFlix (a DVD rental company) indicates (as of 4-14-10) that MGM will issue Season 2 as an 8 disc set on July 1, 2010. amazon.com has announced that they will be selling the set exclusively, on a 'manufacture on demand' basis."[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 72px]So there may be some JOY here afterall. Not sure why amazon didn't do a pre-order on this...?! Anyway, I'll be waiting for their notification for when I can do that. [/SIZE]

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I just saw on another MGM MOD (The House of the Long Shadows) on Amazon that customers were complaining that their DVDs were defective, and that this was a widespread problem.

"Currently, all MGM DVD-Rs are being investigated for defects by Amazon.com. Hopefully, they will resolve this problem soon."

Perhaps this is what cancelled this release.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
I just saw on another MGM MOD (The House of the Long Shadows) on Amazon that customers were complaining that their DVDs were defective, and that this was a widespread problem.

"Currently, all MGM DVD-Rs are being investigated for defects by Amazon.com. Hopefully, they will resolve this problem soon."

Perhaps this is what cancelled this release.
Tim

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, this is the reason for the (hope not cancelled) delay.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks here too Tim. I did read some comments on amazon.com where customers were complaining their stuff isn't working. Definitely worth a delay. Still, I hope the July release is accurate. Also, Johnny Sokko is listed. That's all they need to do to railroad this whole idea, release Johnny Sokko in a version worst than bootlegs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, Flipper (orig Season 2) is ready to order...again. Maybe 2nd time ordering will be the charm?

Also, The New Adventures of Flipper (aka, The Jessica Alba in a swimsuit show) Season 1 is ready too. $60!!! I'll hold off on that one.

No Johnny Sokko yet.

Keep checking amazon.com....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cajun, as much as it pains me, I'll wait as well. It was $35 when I "ordered" it before. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif *wears protective glasses so as not to get eyes gouged as well*

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks Cajun. It's in my cart with a couple of flicks I'm deciding on. At least I'll go ahead with it once i decide on those.. Good deal!

Edit: well, I removed the movies (after watching the Centennial Odd couple, craved Cheap Detective, Murder By Death and Sunshine Boys) but just went with Flipper. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully they will at least look as good as the first season did.

And I'll type this again: Put the final season out and I will buy it and that New Adventures of Flipper/Jessica Alba First season at the same time. I absolutely promise that!

Edit #2: got a shipping notice. I guess they were serious this time. Nice! This and The Beav this month? Give me Courtship of Eddie's Father and Sigmund and the Seamonsters and I might never leave the house again...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I got my copy of S2 yesterday. The nuisance is not having a single box to put the two cases of four discs each in, which for shelf purposes makes it seem like you've got a "split season" set but at least its not at split season prices! Also, the cover art is too generic looking in contrast to what Warner Archive does with their releases.

That said, in comparing it with a couple episodes from the S1 release, the first episode of S2 (which introduced Ulla Stromstedt as S2 semi-regular Ulla Norstrand) looked very good and on the same par with the quality of S1 episodes IMO.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P
I got my copy of S2 yesterday. The nuisance is not having a single box to put the two cases of four discs each in, which for shelf purposes makes it seem like you've got a "split season" set but at least its not at split season prices! Also, the cover art is too generic looking in contrast to what Warner Archive does with their releases.

That said, in comparing it with a couple episodes from the S1 release, the first episode of S2 (which introduced Ulla Stromstedt as S2 semi-regular Ulla Norstrand) looked very good and on the same par with the quality of S1 episodes IMO.
Thanks for the video Q info. Looks like I'll get this set sooner or later.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I got mine yesterday (well, this morning since they delivered it to a neighbor by mistake yesterday).

I agree totally about the cover, but I expected that. Still, compared to the very pleasant artwork of Season 1 it is very generic.

I checked out a little of that first episode as well: same somewhat grainy/scratchy underwater scenes and then pretty sharp/mildly muted color of the characters on the boat. I'm happy with the transfers. Lets hope they play without skipping. *crosses fingers*

MGM...hope you're reading this. If so, thanks for getting this to us. Gotta say I'm happy to have these. I hope others will pick this up so we can get Season 3 real soon...and I'll order Season 1 of New Adventures/Jessican Alba like I said. And Johnny Sokko would be great to buy along with those!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Seven episodes into the Second Season and I can report that the quality is fantastic, every bit as good as the First Season, which was stellar. The color is so vibrant and the contrast so sharp that when you look at the ripples of the turquoise water it almost looks as good as Blu-Ray. There are some instances of stray lines on the prints used, but these types of things never bother me as they are reminders that I am indeed watching FILM and not video, which is appropriate given the source and its era. Thus far no issues at all with playback or damaged discs, but as with any MOD burned DVD-R it is advised a backup copy be made, if possible.

The series continues in the same vein as the first season, though they have added a potential love interest for Porter and thus far there is more focus on Sandy than Bud, which is a change from Season One, probably due to his appeal for the pre- and teen Tiger Beat readers of the time. Also a very strange decision in the first few episodes to change the lyrics and style of the theme song to a Vegas lounge act number which refers to Flipper as a "lover." !?

I know there have been problems with MGM MOD titles, but so far I would say this one was a success and well worth the $29.99 it cost me at Amazon. I will report back if I run into any problems at all.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^

Walker,

Thanks for the info on the Flipper MOD set. I'm waiting for a price drop before buying this one but I'll be getting it eventually.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Walker,

I look forward to hearing your report on Flipper Season 2 after you get through the rest of the set.

When I read the comments on Amazon, there were mixed opinions about the quality of the set. I am not a big fan of MOD, so I have been uncertain about a purchase for Season 2.

I have Flipper Season 1 and the quality was excellent and have always hoped Season 2 would eventually get a standard release with quality matching Season 1.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, James. I am glad to hear another positive comment about Flipper Season 2.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You're welcome Chris. I wish I could do a side by side. Maybe some screen grabs sometime in the future.

I feel the second season follows the first in that it alternates between grainy scenes (mostly with Flipper swimming or wide shots of the ocean) to strikingly clear and colorful (closeups of the actors, Sandy and Budd sitting on the dock, etc). I'm very very happy with Season 2. They stored these masters very well.

I'd really like this to sell well so they will complete the series once and for all. I'm doubtful about Bluray for this series, but they'd sure sell one copy.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Season 1 was released here in Britain. However sadly it looks as if we will not be getting season 2. which is a great shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks